Retro display solutions (monitors, TVs, CRTs, flatscreens, upscaling, calibration)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jul 24, 2018.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

OK great I'll be interested to hear how it all goes, although in saying that the only complaint I have with my tink ATM is that it doesn't remember the input you selected last - really not a big deal. I have a 60Hz modded SMD that I play all my SMS games on and I've never had a problem with it @ 60Hz. In saying that I use a HD Retrovision cable with it so maybe that makes a difference? I'm a child in such matters. There is also a scanline generator in the mix, then a HDMI->VGA converter to a relatively modern VGA monitor.

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've seen people do dual crystal mods to solve this back in the day.

3. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

yeah but...crystal mods means i can't justify the money i spent on the ossc!

elvis likes this.
  4. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

good news for you?, last item on the 3.2 revision list:
    * Remember input mode after shutdown.

5. power

power Member

mine is that it won't accept 480p or even just pass it through. But that issue will be gone once my Wii gets it's WiiDual installed.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

That reminds me, I need to start that "digital display mods" thread we talked about.

7. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

working!

Quick test with Ridge Racer Type 4 on my PSone via Svideo. Chose this since it's small and easy to move around for testing. From memory the tink defaults to Component input. The PSone + Svideo allowed me to test the "last input" setting - can confirm when power removed from the tink and reconnected it is in svideo mode still.

I mostly used this for PS2 previously so I'll give that a go over the next few days and also test the PAL60 composite out from Xbox as I know that's also supposed to be fixed.

It looks pretty bloody good but I don't think I tried R4 on it previously, I've taken a photo but probably won't really do it justice.

EDIT: 55" Samsung FHD for reference. I put it on my WiiU input for convenience, Pretty sure I have calibrated that input previously. I much prefer 240p content on the tink because of the text flicker you get from 480i content.

rt2x_success.jpg
    IMG_20190829_221250.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    power and elvis like this.
  8. badmofo

badmofo Member

Nice work! Yes it defaults to component.

9. power

power Member

woohoo, that's another big annoyance goneskis.

10. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I think this is a benefit too:
    • HDMI will output YCbCr4:4:4 Limited Range (16-235).
    My TV can't really do full RGB range very well from my experience.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

If you have a 240p CRT that only has component / YPbPr in, there's a new option for running RGB/SCART consoles.

Previously the only really reliable option was the Shinybow SB-2840. Chinese clones were available, but reports were that the calibration was off, and colours always came out wrong.

Now Mike Chi, designer of the RetroTink (RGB/Component out HAT for Raspberry Pi) and the RetroTink-2x (S-Video/Component 240p/480i upscaler to HDMI 480p) now offers the RGB2COMP.

http://www.retrotink.com

Roughly the same price as the Shinybow, but it's great to have a new alternative. The website pleasingly states that it's tuned to Rec. 601, which is excellent attention to detail (as it's the correct spec for colour in SD broadcast television).

WuZMoT likes this.
  12. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

That guy, such a champ.

elvis likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Thanks walker_2003 for the heads up on this video.

Long time proper video gaming journalist Rich Leadbetter shows (like he did in the 90s) why CRTs are the display technology of the gods.

Urbansprawl and walker_2003 like this.