Retro display solutions (monitors, TVs, CRTs, flatscreens, upscaling, calibration)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jul 24, 2018.

1. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I'm actually surprised the NES gun works..

2. genxor

genxor Member

The light guns are IR right? Point it at your phone camera and see if there's a flash of light when you press the trigger. Might be a problem with that part

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Different light gun technology.

The Sega Master System gun is scanline based, locked to a 15KHz signal (PAL or NTSC works, but it must be 15KHz horizontal scan rate, which is your 240p-288p type range). Your 2x scale breaks how it works, as it's trying to see a horizontally drawn line at a given scanline point at a instant snapshot line up with where your gun is pointing. This is the same way Guncon 1 and 2 guns (PS1 and PS2) work, the Sega (Megadrive) Menacer, Sega Saturn light guns, and SNES Super Scope. These all *MUST* be used on 15KHz scanline based displays (i.e.: 15KHz / SD CRTs only. Not even a 31KHz VGA CRT will work).

The Dreamcast light guns are a bit different, and can handle dual 15KHz (SD) and 31KHz (VGA) scan rates. Non-CRT displays won't work, however.

The NES light gun is utterly trivial by comparison. It inserts a single black frame with a white square on screen, and if the gun's "camera" sees it's pointed at white instead of black, it registers. Any scaling and even emulation works as long as there's no lag. People have had it working with a low lag LCD and RetroArch's "run-ahead" emulation.

Not for NES, no.

Wii and PS3 light guns use IR. So do recent remake hardware like Act Labs guns, Aim-Trak, etc.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Daft_Munt, genxor and Pierre32 like this.
  4. Pierre32

Pierre32 New Member

I didn't realise how much I didn't know about light guns. Great post.

elvis likes this.
  5. badmofo

badmofo Member

Great post indeed, thanks elvis :thumbup:

I can live without Rambo III fortunately but I'll hang on to the gun for old times sake.

elvis likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

RetroRGB has done a nice "beginners" video up for the RAD2X - a device designed for 100% plug and play from retro console to new flatscreen HDMI TV or monitor without any nerdy crap to worry about.

This video focuses on the SEGA MegaDrive / Genesis (which should also work on the SEGA Master System first model), as well as variants and addons.

flain likes this.
  7. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Voultar was talking up this project on the retrorgb discord https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control

I've just ordered the parts needed from china - I'll let everyone know how well it works early next year when the bits arrive.

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

I've been following this on the shmups.com forums for a while. Looks pretty interesting. Keen to hear how it turns out for you.

9. power

power Member

anyone out there tried this with a dc pound cable?

upload_2019-11-18_14-58-58.png

upload_2019-11-18_15-0-26.png

Grant likes this.
  10. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

sigh. I feel this is the kind of thing that shouldn't be documented on Facebook. I've been hunting for that post but unfortunately my social media skills are not great.

11. power

power Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019