Retro display solutions (monitors, TVs, CRTs, flatscreens, upscaling, calibration)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jul 24, 2018.

1. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

time to update to latest firmware to get the OSD and throw on Firebrand X's profiles!

nimmers likes this.
  2. nimmers

nimmers Member

Just tested the firmware update - works fine. I know that's something people try to scare you with when buying Chinese stuff. No issues here.

3. Grant

Grant Member

I think that's mostly for clones of proprietary hardware, where it isn't an open ecosystem - the "OS" in OSSC stands for Open Source, so buy from the creators if you want to contribute to development Patreon-style, but don't feel bad about getting it from anywhere else.

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I think there's quite a bit of bad blood from the maker community with respect to Chinese mass production.

Specific to the OSSC, it's open source hardware, so anyone can do what they please with it as long as they conform to the license requirements (typically a "share and share alike" setup where modifications need to be open sourced as well). But in general, if the hardware and software are both open source, anyone is legally allowed to reproduce that and sell it for profit. "Morality" has nothing to do with it.

But yeah, past that, there's a lot of unnecessary scare mongering going on.

5. nimmers

nimmers Member

The SD2SNES is another open source project that had clones on AliExpress which is the one I was referring to.

6. nimmers

nimmers Member

Perhaps this topic needs a new thread but yeah I also think there's a bit of a retro gaming clique of people who aren't above spreading FUD.

If you are on Twitter it's really amusing, you get guys who make RGB mods who won't ship outside the USA bagging out the guy who made the GDEMU basically saying "that guy treats people bad and deserved to have his stuff cloned". Meanwhile they themselves are so hard to buy from that they fall into the same category.

Remember the whole beatdown on the voltage levels on the Everdrives?

Then you have companies like Analogue charging more than the cost of a DAC to ship to Australia.

Don't get me wrong there are some makers like Darksoft/Mitsu/Apocalypse who are just awesome.

dexster and elvis like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    elvis

I know who you're talking about, and to play devil's advocate they've never said that the GDEMU guy "deserved to have his stuff cloned". They do defend him, even if they don't like him. But your comments on overseas shipping are bang on the money. I remember once linking to both a European and a Chinese made Capcom-to-JAMMA converter in one of their threads where they virtually claimed to have invented the thing, and it made me quite the villain for a hot minute. Several Europeans thanked me though, as they too were frustrated on the lack of international shipping options.

Regardless, I do agree that the hatred of anything Chinese made is bordering on hyperbole. I buy an absolute tonne of stuff from China - whether it's components or entire built projects - and for the price am generally pleased with what I buy. I've had a few duds, but they're rare, and certainly never to the point of stuff catching on fire.

More to the point, I live in a world of open source software. And I've never seen the carrying on from the open source software community that I do from the open source hardware community. That comparison is quite interesting.

8. Vanne

Vanne Member

Got linky? I should have one of these in my assortment of stuff.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Just search for "OSSC" on AliExpress. There's dozens of sellers.

10. Vanne

Vanne Member

And it's all the same unit Elvis? :)

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

Honestly, who knows. It could be one factory pumping this out and selling through a dozen resellers. It could be several factories. Generally speaking (not a hard and fast rule) if the picture is the same, it's typically the same unit.

But I've had both circumstances - one where I bought the "same item" from a seller on two different occasions, and two different things turned up, and another where I've bought something from several different sellers, and the exact same item rocked up each time.

The downside to AliExpress and Chinese shopping in general is it can be a bit of a lucky dip at times. The upside is it's a fraction of the price, and 9 times out of 10 it's all the same stuff anyway.

Vanne likes this.
  12. nimmers

nimmers Member

My exact one was this one

Vanne likes this.
  13. cavanor

cavanor Member

I picked up a Sanyo CP21YS2 - Build Date 11/2008. Gotta be one of the last SD sets made. Reasonably good picture and geometry - has accessible service menu.

Only picked it up due to location and its one of the slim models of CRT so considerably less depth to the unit (approx 40cm).

14. nimmers

nimmers Member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Pierre32 and WuZMoT like this.
  15. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

lag tested my acer xb271hu.

test suite is running on a gamecube with a carby to drive the acer, and the multiav to run the crt.

upload_2020-1-14_12-39-58.png

genxor, Vanne, nimmers and 2 others like this.
  16. nimmers

nimmers Member

One thing I don't understand is that if I take a pic like this on my phone camera I can only see one frame of lag but if I film it with the DSLR @ 60FPS I see 2-3 frames when I frame scrub.

IMG_20200112_204912~3.jpg

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Most standard video compression algorithms use techniques to average data per frame and work on visual differences. It's a terrible format for looking at stills, or scrubbing backwards.

This is one of the reasons editorial professionals use formats like DNxHD , and not h.264/h.265.

Phido likes this.
  18. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

hmm, well in that case mine is most likely wrong as well as i used my pixel to take the photo. I've got a mid 2000's point and shoot job, I might dig that out and see if the results are different.

19. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I would have thought lossless compression would be the thing. For a while, I know capture was being done pretty much exclusively in raw. Is editing done using a lossless pipeline prior to final render, the same as compositing?

20. nimmers

nimmers Member

So I wonder which of my results is correct? My monitor is a pretty old ASUS pb287 so not expecting miracles.