Retro display solutions (monitors, TVs, CRTs, flatscreens, upscaling, calibration)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jul 24, 2018.

1. nimmers

nimmers Member

Started using the OSSC to record gameplay last night. Pretty happy with how it looks, might be a bit dark: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/536314782

Too bad I screwed up the audio and had no sound for this run :(

Are there downloadable profiles anywhere for arcade hardware?

2. Phido

Phido Member

Raw is fat. You can do it for stills, but moving stuff it becomes killer. Its also a huge cpu/memory burden as well, moving a lot of bits.
    DNxHD is kind of like moving jpeg. It compresses each image to be like a JPEG image, which makes it significantly smaller, but also, you aren't reliant on keyframes and changes between frames.

3. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Indeed, although high quality lossy compression can have storage requirements approaching lossless compression schemes. I suppose lossy compression makes sense if you have no work remaining before mastering such that generation loss isn't much of a problem.

4. badmofo

badmofo Member

Family vacations means idle hands which mean browsing eBay on my phone which means impulse purchases like this 17" VGA CRT below. It's NOS and came with the box + manuals, but it's scrupulously unbranded - no company names or codes anywhere. A peek inside reveals that its sporting a Samsung tube circa 2005 - good? Bad? I have no idea. It didn't really know what to make of my Retrotink -> HDMI to VGA converter -> scanline generator so there was some fiddling required to get the colour / geomitry right, but it looks pretty fantastic. Colourful and sharp, and it doesn't make any odd noises which is much appreciated. Time will tell if it lasts - its humble black and silver look suits my console corner much better than the beige LG I had there previously (yes I am that superficial).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  5. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Nice. Did they only have the one?

6. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yep only one listed - the seller was frogblat who was great to deal with. It really is producing a nice image, I hope it lasts longer than its apparent cheaply-made-ed-ness suggests it will.

7. badmofo

badmofo Member

I spoke too soon, it's started making a high pitched squeal during resolution changes. Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing that? Could it be something akin to coil whine that might be improved with some strategic hot gluing? Or do I just have to grin and bear it?

8. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  9. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

10. michal

michal Member

Damn. I'd kill for the 1084 (had a 1084S back in the day), but I just have no way of getting there any time soon :(

11. shredder

shredder Member

There is an OCAUer in Laidley, but can't remember who it is offhand*, and pretty sure it's not one of us retro-ers.

*I do now, and will message them just in case they're interested, so if you intend to secure these better do so quickly

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  12. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Wow I'm *not* a retro'er??? :( I'm sad and triggered all at once, I have heaps of retro tech!

But all jokes aside if anyone needs/wants them I'm happy to get pickup but can't promise to deliver - have a big shed at my inlaws where they could possibly live until someone wants to collect.

PM me.

Edit: I will probably keep one if there is anything around 486 vintage for my own build but happy to pass on to other members everything else.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Pierre32 likes this.
  13. michal

michal Member

That’s very generous of you!

I would love the 1084. I think that would be perfect for Amiga and in my experience also SNES. Hopefully just as good for everything else including arcade?

Unfortunately I’m currently stuck using public transport while looking for the right car to buy.

How far from Eatons Hill might this be?

14. power

power Member

Plainlands is the Lockyer Valley.

15. shredder

shredder Member

57.5km as the crow flies.

You'll need quite a large strong crow, depending on the monitor weight.

upload_2020-1-20_17-7-2.png

16. power

power Member

bout an hour and a half i'd guess.

17. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I think that's already been plundered, I saw a guy on a facebook group talking about it. There might be a couple left but the 1084 and Samsung CRT's are gone.

18. oculi

oculi Member

I just set up a TV in my workshop (running through a video player as I used a tv with no composite socket) and hooked up the raspberry pi, all works good, might tweak the overscan a bit.

Any tips on improving clarity in raspbian? I think I've set the analogue output to 240p (might try turning it off) and am getting issues with parts of text falling down the slots between scanlines. Maybe I can set the resolution in raspbian.

Also how good would it be if phones output composite video on the TRRS socket? I'm sure 4 people would find that useful.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  19. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Yep, the seller took ages to reply but confirmed there's only 2 left...

20. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

You mean the front end isn't legible due to the low res + composite noise?

I used my Pi via composite @ 240p, there are very few themes for emulation station that worked well at such a low resolution even on a 68CM CRT.