Retro display solutions (monitors, TVs, CRTs, flatscreens, upscaling, calibration)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jul 24, 2018.

1. power

power Member

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/brand-new-crt-tv.html

2. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

A) monitors listed are small CRT's
    B) most of them are TVs
    C) none of them are high-res

It was more of a fantasy :(

Edit: I realise I didn't define "modern"... I was meaning more equivalent in specs to modern current LCDs in terms of aspect ratio, connectivity and resolution, but retaining the advantages of CRT in terms of blacks/colours/response time/refresh rate.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

4. oculi

oculi Member

You have to try pretty hard to scratch glass with a razor blade, but totally agree that one should start with water and then assess, I was just getting a really grotty vibe from this unit.

probably a small one, I remember reading about video editing/mastering places going to great lengths to keep their (sony?) CRTs going due to their better colour reproduction etc. The filthy public doesn't care obviously. Not sure 4k would be useful, for retro you basically want appropriate technology - the CRTs that the game makers knew people would be plugging their joystations into.

Here is an interesting article on roughly that https://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/456719-best-crt-retro-games/

I had a 19" CRT viewsonic monitor for a while, I put it next to the recently purchased because they just got affordable 17" LCD and the picture was much better on the CRT, but it was 4 times as heavy for a picture that was maybe 50% better.

5. badmofo

badmofo Member

6. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

This thing needs caps replaced, if I don't leave it in standby and don't turn it on for a couple of weeks it needs some rigorous attention to get it to come good again. It's a bastard to move so if I'm going to open it will be for someone to do the caps for me. Maybe next time you come over we can fiddle with it.

I'll try to best describe it and maybe I can get some confirmation from some more CRT savvy OCAUers ...

The displayed image goes narrow vertically leaving black bars on each side but it sort of pulses/throbs back to full picture again. When it's really bad the power cuts out, have to turn the set back on to standby mode then turn it on with the remote. Then it will do it some more, if it has been left in standby mode and simply not turned on for a couple of weeks it comes good within 5-10 minutes. If it has been completely off the process takes longer while presumably the circuits/caps get a bit of warmth into them.

It was looking very dire when I first got it - took a long time to get it to stay on and the speakers would emit a juddery type noise like a motor trying to kick over when it would switch off. The previous owner (gumtree) advertised it as working, i messaged them when It wasn't and they said they hadn't turned it on for TWO YEARS - fuckwits!. Anyway I'm really happy with it otherwise and ultimately glad I didn't test it before I took it as I would have left it there...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yup, that sort of device.

I'll try and dig up the page/video I found where someone compared a few models.

I'm eyeballing one that does both VGA and YPbPr out from the same box. I've got a 16:9 LG CRT that does 480p, 720p and 1080i. Very keen to set that up as a GoG/Steam indie gaming system.

8. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks mate, I appreciate the thread bud. Ordered and payed for, as you suggested. :)

elvis likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Another RetroTink-2X review. I'm not a fan of this particular guy, buy the review has some good visuals to compare.

10. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yeah I gotta get me one of those RetroTinks, they look brilliant.

11. Vanne

Vanne Member

Man, that looks amazing... Can't wait to get it.. seriously. Amazing ...
    I seriously couldent even play my N64..
    But don't think I'll use smoothing mode.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

I don't like smoothing either. Personal preference. Although I generally play only 2D games. Smoothing might look nice for early 3D titles, I dunno. N64 being the exception there, because it had it's own smoothing already, which just made everything look "muddy" in my opinion.

I like scanlines, but sadly the RetroTink-2X doesn't offer those. Not a huge loss thought.

13. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I'm only going to be using the retrotink2X for a PS2, possibly PS1, I like the comparison with smoothing on/off for the jaggies on Burnout but don't think it is worth it if stuff in the distance will become a blurred mess. I feel like the de-interlacing over component on my 55" 1080p LCD already makes a bit of a mess of whats ahead (even in game mode). Specifically for 3D driving/racing games anyway.

I prefer no filtering/blurring for 2D stuff as well.

Will have to find out when the retrotink arrives, I've already got HD Retrovision component cables but haven't used them yet due to the lack of clearance on the back of the TV since it's wall mounted.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  14. badmofo

badmofo Member

Have ordered a RetroTink, yay. Some half-arsed googling suggested that these Ugreen HDMI->VGA adapters are solid:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ugreen-1080P-Active-HDMI-to-VGA-Audio-Adapter-Converter-for-Ultrabook-Chromebook/162388097270?hash=item25cf15b8f6:m:mKCNiGCcSRvrCNckL1iuNSw&var=461416777918&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=UGREEN+Active+HDMI+to+VGA&_from=R40&rt=nc

But of course I'll need a mini-HDMI->HDMI adapter too:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Micro-Mini-HDMI-Male-To-HDMI-Female-Adapter-Converter-Connector-For-Tablet-PC-TV/152539882884?hash=item238415e584:m:mDki-pCdujoFvEHMWoHei7Q&var=451917609436&_sacat=0&_nkw=mini+hdmi+adapter&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC0.A0.H0.Xmini+hdmi+adapter.TRS0

I have a nice NOS Dell 17" flatscreen CRT waiting to test this all on, looking forward to it. The next RetroTink batch won't be done until ~October but I've waiter a lot longer for a hobbyist kit.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  15. oculi

oculi Member

I didn't have time to worry about mine dying, it just did. Picture went all "funny" then the screen went blank, now when I turn it on the degausser goes "bunggggg" and then it just makes a little clicking noise. Time to drag the giant samsung back into the house and put up with it I guess, then see if anyone wants the sony to fix, then chuck it in the bin because nobody will.

I can't remember the last time I saw a CRT PC monitor, I suppose people upgrade PCs more frequently than TVs, I can remember going from VGA to DVI to HDMI, the only change for TV has really been set top boxes for digital.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

If the tube is still good, everything else can be repaired.

oculi likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    elvis

18. MrMaestro

MrMaestro Member

I bought a PVM this week, a 14M4A. My birthday is in a few weeks and it's going to be a present from my wife :D

The service menu is so much more extensive than my consumer Trinitron and the 240p Test Suite was perfect for fixing up some underscan.

It's in really great condition so I'm pretty stoked. The only real issue I have found is bad convergence on a region of the screen. Since the issue is not symmetrical I don't think I can fix it by adjusting the pots (which I don't think I'd be comfortable doing myself at any rate). Can anyone suggest a shop or technician in Melbourne that can do a proper CRT calibration?

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

MrMaestro likes this.
  20. MrMaestro

MrMaestro Member

RGB Rob pointed me to a place in Dandenong that services CRTs called Monitech Display Technology. I called them up and they can do a calibration but reckon it will cost around $300.

Expensive, but I'm anal retentive about displays so I'm considering it...

elvis likes this.