Retro display solutions (monitors, TVs, CRTs, flatscreens, upscaling, calibration)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jul 24, 2018.

1. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Are you also noticing an increase in tools and materials amassing? :lol:

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I told myself I'd stop at 40-ish. Nek minnit another two arcade machines added this year. Oops.

One's got a busted tri-res 29" Well's Gardner monitor in it. VERY keen to get that sexy beast working. It'll make a lovely Dreamcast/budget-Naomi cab.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  3. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Increase in connectors and crimps!! :D :D :D

Only because I want to keep it the same.. otherwise, soldering iron it would be! hahah

I'm telling myself.... once the racing cab is done, that's it!! Then I always think.. I can't stop at one racing cab.. I need a second one :D :D :D

After that... definitely no more or I'll be homeless :D :D

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

Of course you need two. How else are you going to race head to head and prove who is the mightiest of the household?

5. power

power Member

by having an 8 way linkup - DUH!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    elvis likes this.
  6. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

elvis' home for lost CRTs. Keeping them off the street.

elvis and power like this.
  7. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Hahahaha trust me.. That's all I'm thinking about! :D :D beating my brother :)

At least now I have unlimited credits to learn expert (I once knew that course)

Im always keeping my eye out for another project cab..

8. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

I might as well ask on this thread since it's about retro displays..

Anybody use a JPAC + CRT Emudriver to display in 24 kHz on an arcade monitor?

If so, have you got the Supermodel3 emulator working in full screen? I understand the ones that would be replying here have probably already replied in my Sega Rally thread :)

But I thought I'd ask.

9. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

Hi guys, just looking for some advice. I picked up a large trinitron for free off Facebook and I'm pretty disappointed with the picture. It's a KV-XS29M3 and from my understanding it was a top end model in the mid-2000s.
    Anyway, I've got a Wii hooked up with component and I'm getting the following image. Very blurry and smeary and you can see the shadow lines coming off the Sega logo and other elements. This Wii and cables work perfectly fine on a smaller LG crt that I have and also on my plasma.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Are any adjustments possible without taking the back off or is the tube just stuffed?

Such a shame as I thought it would be amazing given the models reputation. Anyway, at least it was free.

Cheer

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Tube looks good from a brightness/contrast point of view. Typically it's not the cause of focus issues.

From just those images alone, looks like both focus and convergence are off. Both require getting inside the unit to fix.

I certainly wouldn't get rid of the TV. Worth putting the effort in to fix. What city/state are you in? Maybe a kind OCAUer is nearby and can assist.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  11. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I snuck a couple of beast 19 and 18" sun micro CRTs home.. Proffesional jobs, 99 to 2000 vintage... weigh a tonne.

So heavy and bulky i just plonked them on the car creeper in the garage

The other half spotted them before I could find a hiding spot.. Needless to say im not popular. No amount of CRT endaged species talk would suffice

Still worth it.

Vanne and elvis like this.
  12. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

I'm in Clayton, Victoria. In the south east. I'm happy to take it somewhere within reason if anyone can check it out.

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Many thanks to Flamin Joe for posting this in the YT thread.

IBM Monochrome Display / CGA / EGA / Tandy graphics 9-pin TTL converter to VGA out device.

Looks like a good, high quality FPGA driven line doubler, similar to the OSSC, but more focussed on home and business PC users rather than console games. It spits out what goes in from a refresh point of view, so a display capable of 70Hz is required from all accounts.

JidaiGeki and Flamin Joe like this.
  14. bolex17

bolex17 Member

Picked up a JVC TM-H150CG a couple of weeks ago does S-Video and SCART, took awhile to order the bits and bob to get everything setup properly (SCART adapters and audio splitter cables)
    The photos don't do it justice, the thing is just amazing, currently have my RGB modded SNES and N64 hooked up to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. power

power Member

love your setup, that CRT looks great too.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Why CRT? A great article on VGDensetsu:
    https://vgdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/179656817318/designing-2d-graphics-in-the-japanese-industry

2D pixel art in particular was minimalistic in nature, and the physical medium of a low resolution CRT was an important part of viewing that art as intended.

Here's a great example of original, low-res, low colour pixel art on a CRT, and pixel-perfect on an LCD. While CRTs have been eclipsed by flat panels for resolution, consistency and geometry, there's still a lot of art that will look weird without them.

tumblr_inline_phiwexvGTu1w169t0_500.jpg

power and mAJORD like this.
  17. Camm

Camm Member

Have snuck two Sony BVM-D24's into the house.

Only needed one, but the discount to buy both was too large to ignore > <.

Slowly getting needed extra's to get it all running, and I shall be in scanline bliss :)

nimmers and nic55 like this.
  18. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

It's fascinating how the introduction of noise into the picture creates the appearance of detail.

elvis likes this.
  19. PhoenixBurn

PhoenixBurn Member

Where did you source these bvm monitors from?, im been considering replacing my crts with one decent monitor.

20. Camm

Camm Member

Company in Sydney who provides mastering and other services, mostly in the archival space. Business is starting to taper off, so he really only needed the one D24 going forward.