Retro display solutions (monitors, TVs, CRTs, flatscreens, upscaling, calibration)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jul 24, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Great videos documenting analogue "lines" of resolution, versus the modes we know and love today. Hopefully helps people understand CRTs, how these resolutions were defined, and why we have the resolutions we do today (which are multiples of these).

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

And a couple more on a big bugbear of mine: aspect ratio.

The next time you see screenshots of either Capcom CPS1/CPS2/CPS3 hardware (say, Street Fighter II and similar games) or Super Nintendo games, double check the aspect ratio. If they seem wider or narrower than standard 4:3, you can bet the author took the screenshots from an emulator, which tend to always write to disk at native 1:1 square pixels, and not correctly stretched like they do to your display.

Analogue displays like CRTs have no concept of horizontal resolution. It's merely a beam travelling left to right (from the viewer's perspective). Stretching "low res" pictures to save on processing or video memory, or "high res" images to squeeze in more detail was a common trick depending on hardware and visual design.

And once you've watched those, check out this interview with one of the original artists behind Street Fighter II. In it, he documents the process of taking hand-drawn 2D art and scaling it manually using non-square grid paper to make sure the final image would look right on a 4:3 CRT monitor from the CPS arcade hardware:

3. ALx

ALx Member

How did you get the ps2 lightgun working with the astro?

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

If you use RGB/SCART out of the PS2 it'll work fine on and 15KHz arcade monitor, and be compatible with light guns.

Some monitors need 200-300uF caps on the RGB lines to boost the signal a little, but that doesn't affect the gun's ability to track the sync pulses.

Most PS2 SCART cables come with a composite video plug in the middle of them too, which some lightguns require plugging in to.

ALx likes this.
  5. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

ALx likes this.
  6. ALx

ALx Member

Legendary, thanks to both of you.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

For clarity - that "guncon port" is merely the composite video pin exposed via an RCA plug.

Cables like these...
    * https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PS1-Pla...=item2f276ee142:g:qDgAAOSwfX9cBpvx:rk:12:pf:0
    * https://www.aliexpress.com/item/xun...lgo_pvid=67292568-b9f5-4d0a-8892-61c9a585cdc7

...work as well. Of course, the Chinese made cables aren't as good as folks like RetroGamingCables (thinner wires, poor shielding). But they will work as long as you can tap into composite video from the G-Con's RCA connector.

Namco made official passthrough dongles that you can run inline with any video cable, but they're hard to find standalone. I've got two (bought 2x Namco G-Con guns back in the day because I'm mad for Point Blank), but they work just as well as third party SCART cables with the composite video plug in the middle.

Ditto for this - you can do the dodgy and amp the RGB lines with caps, or use the more expensive VileTim board with much better coupling and voltage control. If I had a sexy Japanese cabinet, I'd go the VileTim board. My cabinet is a dodgy Chinese one, so I don't care as much. :)

mR_CaESaR likes this.
  8. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

For me, Point Blank is the most fun Namco rail shooter to ever come out (Point Blank X is rubbish though compared to the original)

It's because of this game that I now have on file with the Australian gov that I tried importing an imitation firearm! All because I wanted a Pink Gun :D :D :D

I wish the Viletim board was re-released. I was lucky enough to find one last year which is years after he discontinued them. I'd buy a few more if there was an opportunity to.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Our public sector has a long history of not understanding games. One of the AussieArcade members has, for years, attempted to open an official Pinball Museum here in Australia, and is constantly knocked back by his local council because they think it's the same thing as gambling and poker machines.

10. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

hahaha ironically, I have the same view with those "redemption" style games. I always tell the kids to stay away from them... they get in such an addictive state to get 500 tickets for a sherbert :D :D

11. power

power Member

old people, old people never change.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Fair enough, if it's "this will cost you to play, you win by luck, and get a thing in return". That's pretty clear cut.

But a pinball machine? Clearly there's skill, and no payout.

I was going to say this in the original post, but opted against it. But now that you mention it, the local council I referred to were all over the age of 60. So no surprises that the nuances of technology escaped them, and they rejected any proposal to educate them on the matter.

Ah well, they'll be gone one day, and we'll be old. Then we get to irrationally reject everything our kids want. And so the great circle of life continues.

13. ALx

ALx Member

Unfortunately the VileTim isn't made anymore so will need to look at an alternative

14. badmofo

badmofo Member

I've been using a UGreen HDMI to VGA adapter (https://www.amazon.com.au/UGREEN-Converter-Ultrabook-Raspberry-Chromebook/dp/B00NBUTHJG) b/w my Retrotink and VGA CRT and it's been OK, but the image wasn't super sharp so I wondered if I could do better - there are heaps out there.

Today I tried a Startech branded one (https://www.startech.com/au/AV/Conv...till-Camera-Video-Camera-1920x1080~MNHD2VGAE2) which didn't need additional power and had mini-hdmi which is nice. The image was slightly less bright perhaps but the colours were nicer and the image sharper so I thought I was on to a winner, but every now and then it will flick to a washed out, purple image and you need to restart everything to get it back to normal. I tried a beefier USB charger (from an iPad) just in case I didn't have enough juice to power the tink and the HDMI adapter, but it didn't make any difference.

Does anyone have one that they can recommend?

15. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

16. badmofo

badmofo Member

Thanks mate I'll give one of those a try.

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

mR_CaESaR likes this.
  18. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Yeah he did mention he was working on a new version when I first asked him last year if he had NOS of version 2.

It's finally nice to see it come to light - i'll definitely be putting some cash aside to get a couple so I don't miss out :)

elvis likes this.
  19. nimmers

nimmers Member

elvis likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    elvis

Fairly standard for Chinese manufactured stuff to offload via AliExpress/BangGood/etc.

The only caveat there is that these aren't always compatible with official firmware updates (GDEmu and Krikzz Everdrive devices are similar). But if you're willing to risk them never being able to be updated, the price is often substantially lower (and the availability is typically better).

[edit] Search around too. Here's others for ~$30 cheaper:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OSS...-2-Xbox-one-360-Atari-Series/32984662680.html
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OSSC-HDMI-Converter-Kit-for-Retro-Game-Console-PlayStation-1-2-Xbox-one-360-Atari-Series/32992317490.html

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019