Retro FAQ: Microsoft Xbox

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by WuZMoT, Aug 12, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Convert-Pl...584886?hash=item27bec940b6:g:egYAAOSwyApcJl7T

worth a ~$20 gamble maybe (that's about the going rate for a genuine black S controller anyways)

EDIT: sorry was on US site, looks like about $30 a pop for these
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Convert...m27bec940b6:g:egYAAOSwyApcJl7T&frcectupt=true

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    elvis likes this.
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

upload_2020-8-30_17-37-27.png

based on my recent experiences with shipping out of florida that date is is optimistic
    wait.
    actually it is likely correct, and I'm just reading it wrong
    silly me. sometime between sept and oct 2023 :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

This is one of those "delete the ebay and paypal emails and get a random surprise some day" moments

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I regularly browse AliExpress after a few beers. Regularly enough that there's a "surprise" in the mail once a week, but from months ago.

Every week is Christmas! :lol:

MUTMAN and WuZMoT like this.
  5. power

power Member

upload_2020-8-31_8-9-7.png

If anyone has it, it will be Brook.

https://www.brookaccessory.com/product/ - I don't see one but who knows maybe there's a legacy one, i've been tempted to buy their Dreamcast one (Wingman SD) as it also has a built in memory card and being able to use a modern fighting stick would be pretty sweet.

elvis likes this.
  6. elvis

At some point I'll just bite the bullet and install two of these all-in-one boards into my existing sticks. Problem is they cost a fortune, so I was wondering how the $30 solution stacks up against the $300 solution.

7. power

power Member

something i will never find out, I really do like my S controllers - I don't have a Duke but yeah from the little time i've used one they are pretty awful, S feels very much like a 360 controller and with new sticks they are great (for me).

8. elvis

I'm talking arcade fight sticks, not gamepad thumb sticks.

9. power

power Member

of course, yeah I don't even remember seeing original xbox fighting sticks. hmmm

10. elvis

I have one. But it's absolute rubbish, which wasn't uncommon of that console and that era.

Not atracking XBox here either. The cultural differences between the very Japanese Sony PS2 and the very American Microsoft XBox run deep, and don't just include the style of games popular on each, but spread into peripherals as well. I could write a whole essay on that alone.

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

So I recently was careless with an air compressor and broke a fin off an Xbox exhaust fan. I then had to figure out a way to repair it as the fans have a proprietary shroud and I THINK they are 60mm.

The consensus is that the go to after market fan is the Nexus Real Silent case fan

Its specs:
    Acoustic Noise: 19.8 dB(A)
    Airflow: 21.1 CFM

These things are about $35 including shipping and the quantity order limit on both ebay and amazon when they are in stock is 1 unit only. This to me is unreasonably priced, particularly since I wanted more than 1 so I decided to try something else.

I found the Apevia 70mm CF7025S 5 pack
    On Amazon for $29 and had Amazon Prime at the time. The price is now $43 including shipping but considering there are 5 fans for close to the price of a single nexus I figure this is a much better deal.

From the Apevia website:
    Noise Level: 20.2 dBA
    Air Flow: 19.7 CFM

Fitting the Nexus is supposed to be fairly straight forward, fitting the Apevias is a cinch if you have a dremel (ozito) with a sanding drum. I masked off the internal part of the fan so it didn't get plastic dust all over it then just did a quick drum sand in two notches as pictured.
    roney.jpg 2020-09-22.jpg

This allows the fan to sit in between the original fan clips in the bottom of the xbox.
    2020-09-22 (1).jpg
    It is a tight fit with no additional modifications to anything but an original HDD cage fits on top.
    2020-09-23.jpg
    I found the temps got a bit high with this fan when it was connected to the fan header on the mainboard. This header is speed controlled and a custom dash sets one speed but does not control speeds in game. With the fan set to 100% the temps are typical of what you would see from a stock fan when idling on your dashboard.

After playing a game for half an hour then rebooting the CPU temp was up around 68C. The audible difference (to me at least) was negligible from the stock 20% to 100%. So I just powered it from the HDD molex power as seen above. This = 100% speed whether in dash or game. Surprisingly for a system that has locked HDDs and gives you a light show on the front when you forget to plug in your AV cable it gives zero shits about having no fan connected to the mainboard header.

Problem solved and I now have 3 more spare fans. 1 was basically destroyed because I was lazy and prototyped with side cutters. The fan chassis is too brittle for this and requires a dremel :)

baronbaldric, MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  12. power

power Member

I have the Neuxs for those interested, eh it's ok.

don't believe the "IT'S TOTALLY SILENT AT 100%" comments you read.

greencamel65, WuZMoT and elvis like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I expected this thing to be louder at 100% considering how cheap it was.

14. elvis

So OG XBoxes are pretty cheap to come across thanks to Microsoft's commitment to backwards compatibility, and pretty easy to mod thanks to a host of new hardware and software tools. But still, I'd noticed that XBox emulation was pretty lacking in general compared to other consoles of it's generation (probably a combo of everything mentioned just now, and the rather high system specs compared to other consoles of its generation).

I stumbled across some "XEMU" videos on YouTube. Pretty interesting idea - instead of writing an emulator from scratch, the authors are using the open source virtualisation platform QEmu to work like OG XBox hardware (given that the XBox was really not much more than PC architecture in a shell with a custom BIOS). Originally the project was "XQEMU", but "XEMU" appeared as a performance and gaming focussed fork at the expense of some system-wide accuracy.

The devs acknowledge there are some performance issues at play currently, but they're working hard to solve them, and it seems like this will be a very workable system soon.

Main site here:
    https://xemu.app/

GitHub:
    https://github.com/mborgerson/xemu

I tried it out on my son's i5 3570 with Radeon RX570, and while compatibility was high (everything rendered correctly, all music and sound played, all effects worked, all input worked), game performance was pretty terrible with only one of the titles I played even close to playable.

Still, pretty great to see this working at that level, and I'm excited to see how this goes with performance improvements in the months ahead.

I've got all the bits and pieces needed to make this work. If you want to try it out, PM me.

These are all recorded on a Core i7 8700K @ 5.0 Ghz with an Nvidia 1080 GPU according to the descriptions.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  15. power

power Member

shame about the performance issues, I wonder if there will be any upscaling taken onboard for future releases.

16. elvis

They're actively working on it, and improvements are happening at a decent pace.

Due to the way it's emulated, I think it'll be like N64 ParaLLEl, when it'll need to be the internal virtual GPU that does the upscale, not the external renderer.

But that should be entirely possible. There are ways to force a real XBox to render at 720p and higher, so this should be able to do it at some point.

17. power

power Member

be nice if someone figured out how Microsoft are doing it on XB1.

greencamel65 likes this.
  18. DeeMac

DeeMac New Member

I'm interested in picking up a modded XBox, does anyone know of a place where I can buy one (or who might mod a unit for me?)

19. power

power Member

20. elvis

As I understand it, the XBox analogue out was pretty good, and didn't have the "off by one" pixel problem an unmodded Wii had.

That device is a decent price too. I kinda don't see the point of $100+ devices that only suit one console when an OSSC or RetroTink exists, but at AUD$34 that's a great price for a single device solution.