Retro FAQ: Microsoft Xbox

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by WuZMoT, Aug 12, 2020.

1. power

power Member

the pricing is USD, so with standard shipping ends up about $55 I think, still reasonable though.

keen to see it in the hands of the likes of retrorgb or MVG for a bit of a look at how it compares to the wii2HDMI hacks. The people who built these claim to have used better quality items to overcome the weaknesses of those devices.

2. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

it would also be interesting to see how it compares to the xboxhd+, and if a normal mortal could tell the difference.

3. power

power Member

looks like they didn't do enough testing on this one. Would still like to see some independent reviews.

upload_2021-8-13_15-40-18.png

4. OP
    OP
    WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

[​IMG]

The entire selling point of this one for me was piping the digital audio into the HDMI signal.
    I've seen more 1.0 boards than I thought I would in the ~10 units I've worked on.

5. OP
    OP
    WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

1.6 PCB LPC rebuild, worked first go. Not sure if I'm ready to attempt a HDMI mod though.

upload_2021-10-13_23-50-9.png

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

I've done a XboxHDMI mod to an older board and it wasn't that difficult. The flex for 1.6 boards looks even easier as its not connected to the encoder chip itself, but some passives near it. Don't be scared and give it a go!

7. OP
    OP
    WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

This was my first 1.6, every other unit was TSOP'd. I wasn't really concerned about stuffing it up as it was surplus from a bundle I bought and the Aladdin XT was about $10-15.

I'm more concerned I'll trash a ribbon cable on the XboxHDMI than I am about the mainboard though. I suppose I should consider giving that a go since they do sell the ribbon cables separately (presumably for this reason :lol:)