Retro FAQ: Sony PlayStation

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

I got POPSTARTER up and running on a fat PS2 and it works quite well however there are several games that just don't run properly, Tekken 3, Tony Hawk series. So I'm going to bust out my original PS1 and burn some discs. Now, this thing has been in a drawer for about 15 years so before I fire it up is there anything I should check first. I plan on opening it anyway to give it a good clean but are there any known long term faults I should look for eg leaking caps or batteries.

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Nothing on a first gen PlayStation. They didn't have batteries or larger caps for anything, nor keep date and time (that didn't happen until the PS2/XBox era).

3. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

For the 5 minutes it takes to undo 6 screws i'd pop the cover and make sure the PSU caps look okay

4. Thalyn

Thalyn Member

Yikes, you weren't kidding about Tekken 3. I hadn't tried it before. It seems to be listed as one of the "famous and epic games" that aren't playable via POPStarter, specifically for "extreme flickering". I'll add these into the post I made, but there is some compatibility stuff which may be worth tinkering with (0x04 seems like it might be the solution for Tekken).

https://bitbucket.org/ShaolinAssassin/popstarter-documentation-stuff/wiki/compatibility
    http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/page/popstarter-compatibility-list-1

ed: 0x04 does NOT help Tekken. It actually makes it worse during a match (the whole screen is interlaced, not just the bottom half). But it's something to play around with I guess.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    elvis

Great video on PlayStation image dithering - where the GPU uses a alternating pixel "cross hatch" type effect to try and make up for its limited palette when drawing smooth colour gradients.

Some excellent comparisons here of real hardware to emulators (early 3D consoles are one of the few times I prefer emulators to real hardware), and tips on how to remove the effect on a real PlayStation by patching your games (requires some sort of ability to play backups/homebrew due to the process).

6. power

power Member

i had no idea the dithering was dynamic, that is pretty cool. However I prefer it on in most instances. Only PS3 I turn off all the smoothing effects, etc.

The only thing I like is the Ai upscaling.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

There's a good example in the video linked of where the PS3 applies smoothing even when you disable it in the menu. If you compare direct capture to an original PS1, there are notable differences (outside of any up-scaling or interlacing depending on your display).

I generally don't notice it on my large 30" consumer CRT (PS1 -> SCART/RGB -> Shinybow YPbPr -> TV). Definitely shows up on my PVM, and I know OSSC/RetroTink-2X users on flat screen displays definitely see it.

I think whether I like it or not depends on the game. Again, the video has great examples of where it definitely looks terrible (e.g.: 2D Castlevania games where it doesn't really make sense), and where it probably helps (Metal Gear Solid and Tenchu games with lots of dimly lit areas, where without it you get heavy banding). It's always that interesting question of did the developer intend it for artistic purpose, or was it just left on by default because nobody thought to turn it off?

8. power

power Member

i prefer how sharp the picture is coming out of the PS3 over PS2 through component and a retrotink, or PS1 composite through the same tink. Using a 50" Plasma.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yeah well that's a given. The PS2's component output is low-pass-filtered, so it's muddy as hell (which is why I use RGB out of a PS2 into a Shinybow). PS1 composite is just vomit.

PS1 RGB to OSSC would give you the most "genuine" picture, and probably look a little different to the PS3.

The RetroTink designer will have a cost effective RGB to YPbPr converter out soon, which will be great news for PS1 RetroTink-2X users.

power likes this.
  10. badmofo

badmofo Member

I'm using a HD Retrovision cable -> RetroTink 2X for my PS1 and love it - I was amazed with how the textures came up after using composite all these years.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

And now you understand what all these RGB kids (including myself) have been banging on about for decades. :)

People visit my house, play my old consoles, and frequently tell me it looks better than they remember.