Retro FAQ: Sony PlayStation

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Sep 23, 2018.

1. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Good to know, I'm usually pretty patient and wait 5 business days before asking what's going on if there's been no update.

2. power

power Member

i love that your definition of patience is shorter than what aus post consider normal to send from SA/VIC to QLD. :D

3. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Wasn't a dig at transit times. They didn't explicitly say "shipped". I forgot what shipping option I even selected.

I've chosen a Playstation for transcendence! (too much?)

Have to get the PCB under the magnifier and see what I'm up for.

4. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Just check, double check, and check again that you have the right trace before cutting it and you will do fine!. I've done two now, and surprisingly they both work!

WuZMoT likes this.
  5. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

You were hunting down a PAL PSU to convert an NTSC PS1, I assume it got the PSIO switch board treatment?
    I'm curious as I've noticed on my PAL PS1 that NTSC games don't center correctly on my CRT.
    My PAL PS2 has the same issue. PAL games center fine, NTSC is way off to the right.
    In both cases the in game screen adjustments can help but not enough on their own.

For PS2 I've resorted to using a GSM integrated version of OPL which can override in game position settings and lets it get a bit further over, it's not perfect but it's acceptable.

My CRT has had some fairly specific adjustments made to it in the service menu so that my arcade stuff is perfectly centered as that's the priority over PS1/PS2.

I don't have a solution for PS1 yet, wondering if an NTSC console would help.

I could see if I can do positional adjustment on the output of the linux pc that's running the arcade stuff but don't even know if it's possible.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  6. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Thats correct.

For some reason my PAL console running in NTSC was still in black and white using the retrotink even with the firmware you flashed.
    All my other pal consoles modded for ntsc ran fine with the retrotink
    ntsc-j consoles are cheap on ebay so i took the easy way out to fix the problem.

Still looking for a PSU btw if anyone has one.

7. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

as for the centering issues i now have a pvm, so if i get some time i'll test out how well centered the pal unit is compared to the ntsc one with both running a ntsc game

8. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Let me know how you go. I presume you were you using Svideo to the retrotink?
    I have only tried PAL games on my PAL PSone on the retrotink, the one I'm playing NTSC games on is chipped but it lives in the cabinet. I might pull it out of there for some testing.

If I totally botch a switch board install I might have a PSU for you but it would have to be a pretty monumental fail on my part :leet:

9. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Yeah s video to the retrotink. I'll be testing with RGBs cables for the centering issue however.

I'm sure you know what your doing but I found that using a stanley blade without a handle offered a lot more stability then using a xacto knife knockoff, and that making multiple passes with little pressure is better then a few passes with more pressure.

At least if you stuff up another ps1 isn't bank busting.

10. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Was planning on xacto knife knockoff (i think its a craft right from bunnings used for decal trimming) but will buy a fresh blade of some description i think - I have a magnifier now as well.

The PS1 I plan on doing first I pretty much bought because it was bundled with a light gun and time crisis/point blank 2. The value was in those items so this one is "expendable"

Do you know if you can use a PSU from a different model at all?
    If I'm PSIOing this one and I pull out the other one to test NTSC output via the retrotink I'll eyeball the PSU variances and see if you can broaden your search.

EDIT: (I have 3 grey parallel port units, at least 2 different models)

11. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

So there is two different power supply for the non-psone systems. One has 5 pins while the earlier one has 7. The extra pins are another 3.5 volt rail

My units both have 5 pin connectors, so i do not see any difficulty grafting a 7 pin to fit into the Japanese unit. Anything so i don't have to fear connecting 230 volts up inadvertently.

upload_2020-1-13_13-56-32.png

12. power

power Member

13. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Thank you good sir. I was not aware a pico existed for the ps1 - I have a pico in my DC and Saturn with much success.

The link to the ebay store on reddit is dead, however i've found the same unit here : https://www.willsconsolemodifications.co.uk/ps1_pico_psu.php and i will be ordering next pay.

14. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Ah sweet guess that should sort you then.
    Pretty sure I have a 5000 (early bios/menu) and a 7000 (later bios/menu), the one in the cab is probably a 7000 since it has the later menu style and it still has the IO port.

If however an NTSC console improves centering of the display output of NTSC games I might try to hunt down an NTSC PS1/PS2. Unless i can adjust the analog output from the PC so it's closer to the consoles and then use the service menu settings to bring them all back into line together.

I'm sure a device exists that you can manually dial in the screen position with but I'm sure its a larger rack style device and probably overkill for a couple of consoles.

15. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

the bios's are interesting, Both my systems have a PU18 board, however, the PAL unit has the old school bios and the NTSC-J one has the new style, and both are in 5000 series PS1 systems.

Apart from the interface do we know if there is any other changes between bios revisions?

16. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I've never read/heard anything about them being different other than graphically.

I grew up with the later/blue one. But I kind of prefer the older grid style one.
    EDIT: It's a great geometry tester!

17. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I just realised too, the PSone I have has the grid BIOS on it so I guess at least for the PSone they went back to that style...

18. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Okay so this got the better of me. I've tested both a PAL unit and a NTSC one running in NTSC mode.
    Rather then dismantle my whole entertainment unit to pull out my scart cable i've just went with a more readily available svideo cable, so the pal photo is in b&w.
    The PAL unit is definitely more off center.

NTSC :
    upload_2020-1-13_20-53-49.png

PAL :
    upload_2020-1-13_20-53-59.png

WuZMoT likes this.
  19. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Svideo is adequate for this test :)
    It's the best I have for PS1 anyway.

Geometry looks pretty bad in these pics but it's not really noticeable when playing.
    Exposure increased to sight the viewable area of the tube.

PS1:
    IMG_20200113_225844.jpg
    Time Crisis NTSC (left adjustment maxed):
    IMG_20200113_224120.jpg
    Time Crisis PAL:
    IMG_20200113_223326.jpg

PS2 I would say is worse but GSM settings gets the PS2 to about the same horizontal position as the PS1.

Comparison shot from the PC via component video (bsnes):
    IMG_20200113_230129.jpg

greencamel65 likes this.
  20. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

PSIO update:
    my extra switch board arrived but not my cartridge - a good and bad thing I suppose.

"Now in stock and shipping immediately (no pre-orders or backorders)." doesn't appear to be accurate.

I've created a service desk account (separate to the main PSIO account :tired:) and lodged a ticket asking them what the go is...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020