Retro FAQ: Super Nintendo Entertainment System / Super Famicom

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Aug 22, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Aspect ratio gets the thumbs down from elvis. :p

2. bolex17

bolex17 Member

After completing A Link to the Past recently I started to look into some of the randomizer romhacks..

One in particular caught my attention Super Metroid and A Link to the Past Combo Randomizer (https://samus.link/) Which basically mashes the two games into one.
    You'll be playing Zelda while collecting items for Super Metroid and switch between the two games, pretty fun!

Can't wait to play this with a mate (who is a gun at Metroid) and take turns alternating between us!
    Works great on the SD2SNES as well so I can play it on actual hardware.

More information here
    https://kotaku.com/inside-the-wild-new-mash-up-of-link-to-the-past-and-sup-1826049172

power and elvis like this.
  3. Vanne

Vanne Member

I hear ya, lol . its not our gaming setup. was just testing to see if the hardware was still working after my own (Aus) release unit has sat dormant since 1999. lol happy to report that puppy still purrs like a dream. The J-snes gave me a bit of worry when I first booted it up and the red light came on for a sec and then went off.. thought id blown the inline fuse.. but turned out to be just a shoddy 2 way socket plug.

pretty amazing really.. dormant for 20 years.. and gowd knows how many bumps and hits it would have copped over that time. They don't make them like this anymore.

elvis likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    elvis

And, to be fair, simpler tech has less to go wrong.

The SNES's 1.5 MIPS doesn't really compare to a Ryzen 7's 304,000 MIPS. :)

Vanne likes this.
  5. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol but yeah, we need 3.04k MIPS to cruize the web these days. Freakin rediculous. ;)

elvis likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

Lots going on with Byuu's BSNES/Higan lately. While there's plenty of reasons to use real hardware or FPGA consoles like the Analogue Super Nt or MiSTer, emulation certainly has some interesting options.

First up, a handful of games can run in 480i (480 lines, interlaced, 30 frames per second effective) to simulate double the resolution on an old TV. Playing these on a modern high res flat screen results in "combing effects". There's now a good quality multi-threaded deinterlacer that solves this issue for the handful of games that use the effect (left is interlaced, right uses the new deinterlace tool):

EBxlc0bVUAY2brU.png

Next, some high res mode 7 stuff. Super Mario World intro screen normal (look at the edges of the black circle):

ECEqtJDUwAA8vaF.png

And high res:

ECEqfDGU0AADpEY.jpg

And finally new gradient code. Standard hardware and/or default emulation:

ECEr1gJUcAElcc-.png

And the new gradient code:

ECEruVRUIAA8djM.png

Nice!

greencamel65 likes this.
  7. breech

breech Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    elvis likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    elvis

Updated the OP with today's Nintendo Direct info about SNES on Switch.

EDp1HigU8AAXuoi.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  9. Vanne

Vanne Member

can you physically download these? or loose your account and they are bye-bye?

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Sadly they're only available as long as you subscribe.

The upside is you get access to everything without any price tiering. Downside is it's rented only, and never owned.

11. Vanne

Vanne Member

i hate that model, I thought i owned the complete collection in Asseto corsa, until 12 months passed and i had nothing. What a waste of money. I miss owning carts/old big box titles etc. its nice to have something physical to grab a hold of. Not a fan of this "give us your cash, and as long as you keep paying, you can play." rubbish crap rip-off model.