1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro inspired modern games

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jun 15, 2020.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Kinda breaking the rules a bit here, but the retro popularity boom is inspiring a lot of modern and indie devs to make a bunch of new games that utilise old technologies. Whether just for the sake of nostalgia, or to try and feel what it was like to program on limited hardware from back in the day, there's heaps of new stuff coming out that feels like old stuff.

Rather than clog up the modern gaming forums with a million threads with one post each, let's pop games in here as we see them. Any system, any platform. But new games that are clearly designed to look, feel and play retro.

==========================================================

Gloomwood is a stealth FPS inspired by old games like Thief, developed on the Source Engine (same engine as the original Half-Life and mods like Team Fortress and Counter Strike).

Set in the midst of a Victorian era plague with lots of stealth and obscure weapons.

https://twitter.com/TafferKing451

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150760/Gloomwood/

Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX

Not the same crew responsible for recent remakes of Dragon's Trap or Streets of Rage 4, but still quite visually impressive. For any Aussie who grew up in the 80s, Alex Kidd in Miracle World is quite likely your version of Super Mario Bros. This one gets a visual overhaul, includes retro mode graphics, and has new levels and boss rush features

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Rass likes this.
  2. power

power Member

Fallout 76?

huh? huh? :D

This could be quite a thread there are a metric fucktonne of titles out there that fall under this type of classification.

the title Gloomwood immediately made me think of "Gloom" on the Amiga. I love the artistic style very reminiscent of Thief.

elvis likes this.
  3. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Not sure if this fits here but I recently picked up a HTC Vive for cheap so my eyes have been opened to another gaming format which has some very retro inspired games not to mention emulators in VR. I'm guessing the likelyhood of someone else here having a VR headset is low so probably not a lot of interest but I figured I'd post them here anyway to open some more eyes to what retro fun can be had in VR.

The emulators are obviously not going to be for everyone especially if you actually have the hardware already, but it's still quite a unique way to relive some retro gaming in retro environment.

Pixel Ripped 1989
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/577530/Pixel_Ripped_1989/

Pixel Ripped 1995
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1178140/Pixel_Ripped_1995/

New Retro Archade: Neon ** Can also be played without VR **
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/465780/New_Retro_Arcade_Neon/

EmuVR
    https://www.emuvr.net/

elvis likes this.
  4. power

power Member

okclock123, elvis and Flamin Joe like this.
  5. power

power Member

an opinion i trust on Gloomwood

BiggusDickus and elvis like this.
  6. power

power Member

Sega Lord X with a decent list

elvis likes this.
  7. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

I have spent 100s if not more playing and replaying the original Alex Kidd in Miracle World on my SMS and emulators. It’s probably my 8bit game. I even finished the Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2 fan made/released game about 18 months ago and enjoyed it, however this remake feels like it’s missing something to me. I csnt put my finger on it yet and I’ll buy it regardless, but it doesn’t inspire the same excitement as SOR and Wonderboy did.

edit: lol I cocked up the quoting function on my phone.

mod edit: fixed it for you :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2020
    elvis likes this.
  8. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Flamin Joe likes this.
  9. power

power Member

Pierre32 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

On the topic of flying games, here's a couple that interest me.

1) Luftrausers. Loads of fun "physics flying" game that I find utterly addictive.

2) Jet Lancer. I haven't played this one yet, but extremely similar to Luftrausers, and on my list to check out.

3) Sky Rogue. Haven't played it yet, but pretty sure it's included in a recent Itch.io bundle I grabbed, so keen to try it out.

4) Ex-Zodiac. This one I'm really pumped for. Has a lot of StarFox / StarWing vibes to it (and maybe a bit of Panzer Dragoon kinda?). Can't wait to try it.

Vanne and Pierre32 like this.
  11. power

power Member

Ex-Zodiac reminds me of Space Harrier.

elvis likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yeah definitely has a Sega feel to the graphics. Somewhat Sonic 1 Green Hill Zone too with all those checkerboards.

I think the author has done an amazing job of taking all the good bits from different games, mashing them together, and still maintaining a uniqueness.

13. power

power Member

it's funny how the checkerboard has turned from a choice to make things "look 3D" in super scaler to an aesthetic choice based off that limitation.

Vanne and elvis like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Without starting a whole side conversation, retro is fascinating to me *because* of its limitations.

I know modern PC Master Race are perpetually annoyed that we aren't at some level of hyper realism, but that isn't what I find interesting about computer art. If I want realism, film covers that for me. What I love about computer art is how people do things under grossly limited circumstances. Given nothing but a crazy low resolution display, compute resources that can barely calculate a small vector array, limited colours, and audio generated by very basic frequency modulation, it spins my head that super creative people can come up with the sorts of amazing experiences that they have over the decades, using the avatars, stand-ins, icons and representations they have chosen, both in audio and video.

And I agree - the workarounds from these limitations have become aesthetics in and of themselves. Enough so that it's spawned games that this thread is covering - titles that could trivially exceed their artificial limitations on the hardware they run on, but the author's choose to self-limit to maintain that style of ye olden days.

Anyways... ramble ramble ramble.... elvis loves retro because reasons.

15. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Limited resources made people creative. Now days more resources required eg AMDs minimum GPU RAM for modern games.

elvis and Pierre32 like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    power and Vanne like this.
  17. Grant

Grant Member

OTOH there's improvements in software that go along with beefier computers, which allow the indie scene to thrive.

I recently finished Hero U: Rogue to Redemption, which is an indie game made by the original writer/director duo responsible for the Quest for Glory adventure RPG series. They funded it on Kickstarter, and the Unity engine available these days let them craft a full 3D indie game, larger than any of the commercial Sierra games before it. It still has quirks (pun intended if you've played the game) and faults, but not enough to keep me from getting hooked and loving the story.

Prior to that was Hollow Knight, widely regarded as the best metroidvania of recent times. It was a slick 2D experience, but when I ran it on my laptop you could tell it was straining. A crack team of coders and a custom engine could probably get it working on a Raspberry Pi 1, but there's no need for that these days when you have a great story to tell.

Daft_Munt, Vanne and elvis like this.
  18. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks for the plug, it looks great. I'll get this for sure.. gonna wait for a sale though.

19. Grant

Grant Member

For QfG fans, there was another Kickstarter that came out before Hero U: RtR called Quest for Infamy, done by some fans who later had careers in game development. It's all 2D graphics and is a shorter game, but still quite good - better in some ways than the 2D-3D mix of Rogue to Redemption, and probably closer in style to the earlier QfG games.

Anyway, they're having a sale over at itch.io, with their followup game as well:
    https://itch.io/s/31118/early-summer-2020-trying-not-to-suck

I haven't played the sequel, but will be picking it up :thumbup:

elvis likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    elvis

Grant likes this.