Retro inspired modern games

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jun 15, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Updated trailer with some of the combos on show.

I think I read somewhere that Guard Crush was doing the engine (same folks who did "Streets of Rage 4" and the hilarious "Streets of Fury EX")? I need to confirm that though. But if so, I'm hoping for more of their satisfying juggle combo engine. Nope, no Guard Crush on this one.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  2. OP
    OP
    elvis

Apogee is back, baby. (Thanks 2SHY for the link)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Vanne and kombiman like this.
  3. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

I almost shed a tear!

elvis likes this.
  4. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

Quite literally everyone who is/was a "Harvest Moon" fan, and became very sad at just how crap that series turned out in the last few installments.

Stardew Valley is everything oldschool Harvest Moon was, and then a million new things that are way better than the more recent Harvest Moon games.

6. simontifik

simontifik Member

Hours on PC then hours on Switch. I’ve bought it twice and would buy it third time just to tip the devs!

I started a new farm recently with the latest 1.5 patch it added a heap of new features. It feels a lot less grindy now too. It’s great, loads to do, awesome pixel graphics, cute music. Real quirky story when you start to get to know the villagers. You can chill out and go fishing or min max your farm for huge profits!

elvis likes this.
  7. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yep great game that one, my daughter and I have a Stardew co-op date this weekend actually :thumbup:

elvis likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    elvis

My two youngest got right into Stardew Valley for a few years there. Kind of fallen away from it now. I figured out the save files were pretty easy to hack for extra cash, so they'd always ask me to boost up their funds and they'd go on massive spending sprees.

I though my eldest would love it, as she finished Harvest Moon on SNES (via Wii Virtual Console) several times over. But she's also a bit older now, and has work and a social life (bleurgh). I did install it on her Mac though, so I'll check in with her and see if she's fired it up.

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Haha yeah, that one has been around for a long time. It raised a few chuckles when the Google Chrome offshoot Chromium name-clobbered it.

11. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

This is old enough to be retro itself, but still counts. I was just reading about Cholo for the C64 (and other 8bit systems): https://old.reddit.com/r/c64/comments/n98946/introducing_cholo_my_fave_game_on_commodore_64/

And in the comments someone linked Ovine by Design, a little studio that produced a heap of modern remakes and released them for free: https://www.ovine.net/

Original Cholo:

Ovine remake:

Tons of others at the link. I just tried Cholo in Win10 and it worked perfectly. Chrome had a whinge about one of the other downloads - probably just being overzealous as it tends to be, but proceed with the usual cautions etc.

elvis likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Apparently 2 years old already, although since its initial release this had also been ported to every major console as well. Pretty good reviews around the place.

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Another trailer out today, and a slightly revised release date of June 22. Lists all consoles as well as Steam and Epic PC stores.

Appears to have the same realtime retro/modern "wipe" effect that Dragon's Trap did, allowing you to switch in game between old and new styles. (Not the same developer/publisher though).

https://www.mergegames.com/alex-kidd-in-miracle-world-dx

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/...secret-agent-hd-a-remaster-of-the-90s-classic
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1607670/Secret_Agent_HD/
    sa-1.gif

EDIT - OMG 2 Apogee classics got the Linux HD upgrade.
    Crystal Caves
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1330890/Crystal_Caves_HD/?curator_clanid=4033 de59b5c8bbcf379e2a7d49adfbcbc8643f7cc8c6.gif

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Flamin Joe and elvis like this.
  17. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

Anyone played Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX? I downloaded it with low expectations. It was only $25. As a huge fan of the original, I have been disappointed with it. It lacks something.

A lot of reviewers called out some of the dumb mechanics in the game that make it harder than necessary.

I found myself just taking the path of least resistance to get through the first 7 levels. Haven’t been back to it.

The new Ghouls n Ghosts is a better game, but also quite difficult. As I get older I find the nostalgia towards the original games often impacts my enjoyment of the remakes.

That being said, I totally love Streets of Rage 4 and Wonderboy the Dragon’s Trap and have more than gotten my money’s worth so far!

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

Is it identical to the original in terms of mechanics?

If so, I'm out. Was never a fan of the original. Dragon's Trap, by comparison, was an amazing game then, and still holds up today (honestly better than a million modern clones). So the remake of that was already starting at a great place, and just adding highly polished visuals over the top.

19. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

Not identical. Just unnecessarily clunky. I’d say more so than the original. Not really fun at all IMO.

Dragon’s trap is a work of art in every way.

elvis likes this.
  20. Grant

Grant Member

On the topic of Alex Kidd, I liked Voyage: A Sorceress' Vacation, which is total conversion of AKIMW for the SMS into a completely new game. Plus it's free, so if you don't like it there's nothing lost.

darkmenace and elvis like this.