Retro LAN thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by DonutKing, Apr 21, 2021.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

I was a surgeon with the sniper rifle in UT.

head shot
    head shot
    mmmmulti-kill
    dominating
    head shot

Vanne and flu!d like this.
  2. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Oh yeah baby! Makes me want to set up another.

3. Rea:Per

Rea:Per Member

Quake 3 for me.

Q3DM17 (jump map)
    my alltime favourite was the instagib mod. (wish i could get that mod working again)
    up at 3am, buzzing from sugar, cafeen and booze. good times.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  4. Privatteer

Privatteer Member

Has it really been 20 years. God some of those bigger events were a nightmare dealing with the power/venue.
    You prompted me to dig out some of the old photo's.

From humble shed parties to 800 odd people, fond memories.

Attached Files:

5. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

I used to take my tower to my mates house so he can plug my ide hard drive into his tower to transfer all his 128kbit mp3s to my hdd back in the day when winamp and associated skins was king. This was before lan, before ethernet was available to consumers. Id say around 1995 or so.

6. cvidler

cvidler Member

your time frame is wrong.

ethernet was common in the mid 90's. indeed DOOM ran on LANs/ethernet in '93.

elvis likes this.
  7. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

They were common but not in home systems in the early 90's. My first PC was a 486 in '93 and it came without one, but they were readily available if you wanted add one in. I think I put one in mine around '95.

From memory the Cat5 cables were bloody expensive at the time though. Still remember when 100Mb cards started to hit the scene, I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

8. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

See my comment where I say consumers. I.e average joe. Ethernet was not readily available like it is today in your average home pc.

As a matter of fact, in my TAFE at North Sydney back in the late 90s (maybe 1998 or so) we were still using token bus (over coax)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

While a valid point, TAFE should never be used as an example of what is normal in the tech sphere. :)

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

still have to disagree there, sure network ports didn't come standard on motherboards for many years after that, but add on cards were readily available and affordable. yes you were using 10base2, or if you were rich enough a 10baseT hub arrangement.

I was a high schooler around that time, friends and I had LANs back then. Doom/Doom2, C&C, Quake1 towards the end.

11. OP
    OP
    DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Back in the Doom/Quake days I was too poor to afford network cards, however I did acquire a parallel transfer cable from a box of bits. I discovered that windows 95 would let you bind IPX/SPX to the parallel port adapter, so me and a friend could play a few (kinda laggy) games together :)

Vanne likes this.
  12. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Just because you might've been fortunate enough to have a PC with an ethernet card, does not discount what other people did in lieu of an ethernet card at the same time.

Back in the late 90s when I was a teenager, friends and I each had drive bay caddies, and we each had a extra drive of our own that we would use in a similar fashion to what is common-place with a USB thumb drive today. I'd load my little 20GB HDD up with music, videos, you name it, then off to a friends place on my trusty push bike to swap files between each other using his PC. Other friends would come to my house with their drives, and same thing, plug their drive into my caddy and swap files and other such things. In our minds, it was far easier to take a "portable" HDD in our backpack, than to lug around our entire system strapped to our backs on our bikes.

I certainly did have an ethernet card in my machine (I'd had an ethernet card in my personal PC's since around 1995), however other friends with older machines and parents who didn't see the need for an ethernet card in the computer weren't so lucky.

13. cvidler

cvidler Member

the original post was very clearly said LAN/Ethernet wasn't available to consumers in 1995, OP was wrong.

it was readily available (but not ubiquitous, as it required addon cards), game devs were writing multiplayer games for it, DOS and Windows had network capabilities.

14. X-ZemPt

X-ZemPt Member

Attended TNW for many years, eventually ended up being one of the organisers.

Started off as a Tuesday night event at the local hospital (TN).
    Then became a weekend event (Tuesday Night Weekender, or TNWeekender, or TNW)
    Turned in GippsLAN after a while. Slowly died off when the interwebs gaming became more popular.

Was a 3 day event, started Friday evening and went through to Sunday afternoon. Mass leeching, mass comps and mass Red Bull or Columbian Cola.

Was getting up to 150 people at the peak.

15. Symon

So is this going to be a thing or are you just teasing?

16. OP
    OP
    DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I'm trying to organize something for weekend of 12/13 June... you free then? I'm a bit worried about the COVID situation though, hoping QLD won't lock down the borders again.

17. Symon

That weekend is good for me, see how we go with COVID.

18. Vanne

Vanne Member

This is exactly how we played our first bunch of doom/ROTT/Doom2.. and then we hogged the phone line... I didnt have a Coax network setup untill a few years after that.. simplex, not even duplex... I think the Coax was left over from the CB days..

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Atari ST x 2
    Null modem cable
    F-16
    Late 1980s 2 person lan frag party, good times.

JidaiGeki likes this.
  20. deevus

deevus Member

DonutKing I'd love to come but I couldn't get plane tickets at a reasonable price :( They're finally dropping in price however I've got my brother's 50th on that weekend now.