"Retro" LCD's

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Mar 8, 2019.

1. power

power Member

Stay with me people, I'm not talking about just old crappy LCD's here but with all the fuss over crt's, upscalers, converters and all that other guff has anyone really nutted out a list of good for retro flat panel displays?

Now I'm thinking stuff that supports a wide variety of inputs of course but also with minimal if any processing and half decent response times and PQ.

Is there such a list?

Thoughts?

2. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

In the early era of 1080p/1200p desktop monitors you could get some pretty tricked out desktop LCDs. I had a BenQ FP241W that is sadly no longer with us.
    This was one of the first 1200p desktop displays to be available in Australia if I recall. The stock arrived landed while the Samsung equivalent was on back order for months. I also had to send it to BenQ for a firmware update to add scaling options as they had neglected to consider that a 1080p source stretched to 1200p isn't great.

It was about $1500, had an 8bit panel, height adjust and panel rotation. I loved it dearly. R.I.P. the only monitor I have ever missed after it was gone.

fp241w.jpg

EDIT: i believe the samsung equivalent was the 244T

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    power likes this.
  3. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I’ve got a couple of old super high end NEC’s floating around somewhere, only VGA and DVI. But I’ve happily played my Dreamcast on them, and would do so any day if I didn’t have a CRT on hand.

Problem is, the DC is one of what, 2 consoles? That used VGA (the 360s vga cable was awesome as well)

Now component to vga is pretty simple, and I’m pretty sure the PS2 actually gives you an output option.

But I can’t think of too many that are brilliant. Old high end dells would probably be alright as well.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

In general, OLEDs are beating the pants off LCD for response time. If retro gaming is your thing, OLED is currently the better choice.

Upscaling is the hurdle. Proper 240p upscaling is rarely a thing, as most displays are designed for video, which by spec was 480i. And while that's the same analogue frequency, how it's processed is very different, and it's why so many TVs look like shit with old consoles.

Has anyone made a good list? No. Models move too quick, and it would be financially improbable for anyone to do so. People like rtings are some of the best as they offer latency measures, but they're always looking at more modern modes (native HD/1080p and UHD/4K).

There's talk of an open source lag tester in the works. If that ever gets made, then *maybe* that's a way to get a database started, but again models change and vary region to region so fast, it's impossible to make it some sort of online database. Your best bet is buying your own lag tester (assuming it ever gets out of design and into production), and using it when you're out purchasing a screen.

Folks like RetroRGB have been talking about this for a long time - trying to get a community driven, distributed way of objectively measuring and recording lag for retro gamers on modern displays. It's really bloody hard to do, and if you're after something "guaranteed" today, you're better off investing in an OSSC/RetroTink-2X and going off rtings' lag measurements. Otherwise anything else is going to be a crapshoot.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/motion-blur-and-response-time
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

[edit]

Worth mentioning other solutions like MiSTer line-doubled out to HDMI, and RetroArch with run-ahead emulation on certain systems, both of which will give lag-free simulation of old consoles, and make your rtings.com lag measurements useful. But neither are "real hardware" options.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I guess not just gaming is a priority, thinking also if you like the idea of using an LCD for vintage pre-PC computers.

6. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Below is what I mostly use. Just need to move it back. Analogue TV looked very pixelated when I last used it.

Click to view full size!

7. elvis

Similar issue, honestly. But now with 640x400@70Hz as extra fun.

(How much fun are non-square pixels, anamorphic resolutions and non-standard frame rates? Welcome to part of my current job.)

8. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

I personally have never had an issue with Dell 19 inch monitors.. I've used them on a couple of bartops and I honestly can't complain..

Also used a 19" Samsung wide screen monitor for a Tate cab..

Once the crt filters are added, it's pretty good.

This was the setup I had before I went candy cab mad :D:D:D
    Screenshot_20190309-152201_Gallery.jpg

And another Dell 19" bartop I built for my 6 yo nephew.. With a pandoras box he's happy as Larry :D

20190309_152749.jpg

The main reason I'm a massive fan of the Dell 19" monitors is because I got 6x for 40 bux!

elvis, nimmers and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  9. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Same deal with the smaller Samsung’s from around 2004-2006 (17 and 19” syncmasters)

They’re cheap and good enough for all but the most fussy of gamers.

10. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

This is probably the closest match to a list of LCD's suitable for retro use and is kept up to date. Quite a few of these monitors have older video inputs such as Composite/S-Video/BNC etc so it acts as a good database for finding those features.

http://15khz.wikidot.com

11. elvis

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019