1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Let's Play: Bruce Lee (Datasoft 1984)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by JSmithDTV, Nov 3, 2021.

1. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Retro Let's Play: Bruce Lee (Datasoft 1984)

Welcome to the OCAU retro game of the month, Bruce Lee! :)

upload_2021-11-2_23-47-31.png upload_2021-11-2_23-51-55.png

Why?

Apart from the fact that this is how we roll in Retro... this game is basically imprinted on my brain. Even though I haven't played this since forever, I can still hear the sounds. I've been meaning to explore this game for some time, so thought I'd make this the game of the month.

I played this mainly on C64 and early PC's. FWIR the C64 version is better, however I will try a few versions now it's 2021. :)

History;

Bruce Lee was published by Datasoft and released in 1984 initially on Atari 8-bit, then Commodore 64 and Apple II. After that it was converted to the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC by US Gold. Also an MSX version in 1985 by Comptiq.

The game was in the top ten UK game charts in May 1985 and topped the Atari chart in July 1985. Acclaimed at the time and many years after as being a top game.

Cool old article here from 1988;

upload_2021-11-3_0-35-29.png

Concept;

The aim of the game is to reach and defeat the wizard in an underground lair to bring wealth and immortality. In each area you collect the lanterns and fight the Ninja and Sumo Yamo, who keep coming back for more. There are lots of hazards to avoid, walls of electrical charge and exploding items... great platform action.

upload_2021-11-3_0-39-31.png upload_2021-11-3_0-40-15.png
    upload_2021-11-3_0-45-33.png

How;

Datasoft is long gone... Myabandonware has a PC version and others can follow their noses for other versions.

Tips and tricks;
    50 Landing on Ninja or on Yamo
    75 Kick at Ninja or Yamo
    100 Punch on Ninja or Yamo
    125 Collecting lanterns
    200 Victory over Ninja
    450 Victory over Yamo
    2000 Enter new room
    3000 Victory over sorcerer

left = walk to the left
    right = walk to the right
    down = lie flat on the floor or climb downward
    up = jump or climb upward
    up + left = jump to the left
    up + right = jump to the right
    fire button while standing still = punch in the direction of sight
    fire button while running = kick in the running direction

This is for the C64 version... Load the original program and type POKE 5472,99. Then start with RUN and you have unlimited lives.

Amstrad version and maybe C64, if you go to the far right of the screen with the big Yak statue, duck down next to the black bar and you'll end up about halfway through the game.

More covers;

upload_2021-11-3_0-42-41.png upload_2021-11-3_0-43-15.png

Something to aim for... high score;

upload_2021-11-3_0-48-0.png

upload_2021-11-3_0-54-33.png

The game restarts again when you finish all 20 stages... then starts again but more difficult the 2nd time.

I hope everyone enjoys Bruce Lee for November. :cool:

JSmith

PogiPinoy, Rass, clonex and 11 others like this.
  2. Vanne

Vanne Member

Holy shit!!! 20 stages??? I think I managed about 3 way back then..
    Excellent excuse to see if I can beat 3 stages.. I remember this well, though was never very good at it, and reminder me very much of Conan on the Apple 2.

JSmithDTV, MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

4. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

This game… I played so much of as a kid, and I was so terribly, terribly terrible at it. This is a great reason for me to revisit it. Nice work JSmithDTV

Vanne, JSmithDTV, elvis and 1 other person like this.
  5. power

power Member

aw yeah, I played this game so much on my Atari 800XL an absolute cracker!

oh man, browser versions so good - i am freaked out that Bruce is yellow in the C64 version.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    elvis, MUTMAN, pwlm1975 and 1 other person like this.
  6. deevus

deevus Member

Ohhh I just got a 386 running which would be perfect for this!

MUTMAN, pwlm1975 and JSmithDTV like this.
  7. hutts24

hutts24 Member

Another great choice, JSmithDTV ! I love this game and used to play it a lot on my C64 back in the day. I got a copy of it in a bundle of pirated disks from a relative, and until the internet came a long it seemed like nobody else knew about this game save for a couple of neighbourhood friends I introduced to it. I recall that it took quite a bit of practice to become good at this game, and I also recall being able to finish it but I may have been using the infinite lives cheat to do that. I don't remember.

Naturally I'm inclined to replay the C64 version, but the original Atari version looks like it may be the best. Does anyone have opinions about which system version is best? I do like how the lanterns are yellow in the CPC version. They all seem to have subtle differences.

MUTMAN, pwlm1975 and JSmithDTV like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Cheers lads. :)

Here is some pics of the "datasette" tapes for C64 versions;

upload_2021-11-3_12-46-59.png upload_2021-11-3_12-47-36.png

upload_2021-11-3_12-51-17.png

Yeah, maybe so based on the intro screenshots from the various releases;

upload_2021-11-3_12-52-58.png

JSmith

ZXR, Vanne, MUTMAN and 2 others like this.
  9. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

hutts24 I think all 8-bit game’s versions were slightly different in subtle ways. I remember Knight Games back in the day was better to play and had better music on my C64, but looked nicer on my brother’s CPC464. I think Operation Wolf was similar but played slightly better on the Amstrad.

JSmithDTV and MUTMAN like this.
  10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

C64 cassette instructions

Attached Files:

ZXR, Vanne, JSmithDTV and 1 other person like this.
  11. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Gosh that brings back memories… gatefold cassette inserts with colour instructions!

MUTMAN and JSmithDTV like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Agg, could this and the racing game of the month be added to "news" or on the main page? I find when you do that more people participate... racing thread was pretty quiet last month. :)

Cheers,
    JSmith

pwlm1975 likes this.
  13. elvis

You can email news to Agg:
    https://www.overclockers.com.au/contact.php

I often do this mid-month to revive interest in threads as they get quiet after the first week of chatter.

But lately Agg's also gone and pimped these threads himself, as I feel he has a soft spot for the ol' retro gaming. :)

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  14. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Happy to promote things on the news page, email them to news@overclockers.com.au - I had spotted the Retro Racing already for this month but was waiting for the Retro Let's Play to be posted as I usually link them together. :) Putting the post together now.

Edit: I have a soft spot for retro gaming AND a soft spot for good content to link on the news page. :)

Vanne, pwlm1975, JSmithDTV and 2 others like this.
  15. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

... and THAT'S what makes me happy to be here.

elvis likes this.
  16. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

The web player is quite good actually, no need to use an emulator. I'm still crap but I realise now (I didn't as a kid) that timing is everything when fighting, especially the big green dudes - you have to hit first or you'll get done too.

MUTMAN likes this.
  17. elvis

For those not familiar, archive.org's in-browser emulators are executing on your local machine, and not streaming.

They use a technology called "Web Assembly", or "WASM". It allows native speed applications to run on your system, launched via your browser. There's no extra lag or even much of a difference in performance compared to running a .exe on your Windows machine.

https://webassembly.org/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebAssembly

The wrapper called "Emularity" is the bit you see on the landing page. It tells your browser to download the emulator and ROM / disk image into your system's RAM, and it's all executed from there, just presented out through your browser.

https://github.com/db48x/emularity/blob/master/README.md
    https://wiki.archiveteam.org/index.php/Emularity

WASM is being adopted by a whole lot of different application authors lately. The LibRetro/RetroArch team have put a lot of effort into porting stuff to WASM, and you can now do things like run fully accelerated emulators through a browser on your XBox, without the need to download and install anything. Try it out for yourself. You'll need to supply ROMs locally however, due to copyright. (Archive.org gets around this because they are a registered national library in the US, exempt from certain copyrights and protected by their local laws).

https://web.libretro.com/

But it all has huge application outside of games. I'm quite certain we'll see more and more applications being delivered through WASM as time goes on, as it's an excellent way to offer a broad service catalogue of applications without needing local installs, and will be a pretty powerful offering in an all-cloud world.

If you want to go full nerd and try this for yourself, I wrote a guide on how to compile and host it:
    https://stickfreaks.com/sega-sc-3000/faq-emulator-in-a-web-browser

MUTMAN and pwlm1975 like this.
  18. power

power Member

hopefully it doesn't end up like flash full of security holes - but i've not heard anything.

pwlm1975 likes this.
  19. elvis

"Flash" was a proprietary product written by amateurs and dickheads. It's failure was predictable, and indeed predicted by many long before its inevitable death.

"WebAssembly" is an open standard, contributed to by numerous private vendors, open source groups and the general public alike. It's not an individual product, nor is it closed/proprietary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebAssembly
    https://webassembly.org/

Do you know why open source fanatics bleat on about open source? Because of shit like Flash, that's why. It's not the "source" part that matters. It's the "open" part.

Insert Archer "Do you want ants? Because this is how you get ants!" meme here about using proprietary software on the Internet. Open source and open standards matter, and it matters more for a global platform like the Internet, as well as long term safe preservation of video games.

</rant>

---------------------------------

This month's game looks very cool, and I'm surprised so many people are familiar with it, as I was completely ignorant to it. I like that archive.org can document these like a "brick and mortar" library can with books. I hope one day Australia gets a similar institution.

hutts24, MUTMAN and pwlm1975 like this.
  20. power

power Member

I think it's because it was pretty huge on early 8 bit computers, at the time there was pretty much nothing like it out there.

Also Bruce Lee was pretty huge back then.

pwlm1975 and elvis like this.