Retro Let's Play Early April 2017: "Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness" (1995)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Apr 3, 2017.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Retro Let's Play Early April 2017: "Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness" (1995)

FAQ Here on what this is and why we're doing it.

Before Blizzard printed money with their insanely popular MMO of the same franchise, there was "Warcraft: Orcs & Humans". A real time strategy game released for MS-DOS in 1994 and Mac Classic soon after. It was incredibly popular with it's great single player campaign and network multi-play, and quickly spawned the sequel "Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness" in 1995.

The sequel featured improved graphics, deeper gameplay mechanics, more units, and ports to console (Sony Playstation and Sega Saturn). The game boasts an amazing soundtrack and digital voice samples that gave it a polish not common of its era.

Platforms (tell us which you're playing):
    * MS-DOS, Mac OS Classic, Sega Saturn, Sony Playstation, Microsoft Windows

Play it in your browser and/or download it for free:
    (note: this download contains both "Tides of Darkness" original and "Beyond the Dark Portal" expansion, together which make the full "The Dark Saga" story).
    https://archive.org/details/msdos_Warcraft_II_-_Tides_of_Darkness_1995

More game info here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_II:_Tides_of_Darkness
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/warcraft-ii-tides-of-darkness

Box art:
    [​IMG]

Video of the first campaign:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. adz

adz Member

Soooo many hours spent playing this game, looking forward to firing it up again :thumbup:

3. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

While this is a very good game, I always liked Command and Conquer much better... not least of all because both sides in C&C actually had unique units, while both sides in Warcraft 2 had pretty much the same units with different sound and graphics.

4. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

The Orc sounds in this game were legendary from memory. I'll have to have a go at this again shortly ;)

5. nimmers

nimmers Member

Except Bloodlust was OP as hell :)

6. Krumm

Krumm Member

Without even firing the game up I can fondly recall the different sound effects the units made "Zug Zug", "Dabu", "Work complete", "What is it" etc when clicking them, the peons grunting and sounding like yoda, the humans getting annoyed the more you click them the sound was top notch

7. badmofo

badmofo Member

Same here - liked Warcraft 2 but C&C is the one that keeps me coming back for more to this day.

The audio was a highlight of W2 for me - I can still hear the tree-chopping sound echoing in my head as I think about this game!

8. TaXy DriVar

TaXy DriVar Member

From memory you could explode the sheep by continuously clicking on it.

I also loved C&C in the day however I don't rate one over the other. With WC2 I liked the fact that you had two resources to collect and that it was fantasy based.

As Krumm mentioned though, those sound effects are permanently tattoo'd in my memory.

9. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

The MIDI soundtrack is great.

10. adz

adz Member

Gotta love the multiplayer map "Garden of War", secret was to get as many town halls happening as quickly as possible, or just grunt rush and hope for the best :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

Did anyone ever play this on Saturn or Playstation?

I imagine it would be quite painful.

12. dacow

dacow Member

Funnily enough I was always on the Blizzard camp at school. I'm not sure if it was a thing but there were a group of guys at school who loved C&C whereas I never could get into it and WC2 was my thing.

13. adz

adz Member

A buddy of mine had it on PlayStation, he loved it, plus you could select as many units as you liked.

14. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Stop touching me!

15. Gullenager

Gullenager Member

This.

The secret was actually to get 9 bloodlusted ogres to their base before they did it to you. Then follow up with 18 more (groups of 9 were the max drag). No other tactic could win once you became super efficient at that. If you were both about equal at that, then it came down to out-resourcing and attacking peons, and balancing some axe throwing trolls into the mix so that you had a couple of ogres after an ogre battle and they didn't.

We would play on our IPX lan at this share house for hours. There were these guys that challenged us and were trash talking us saying how good at humans they were. They were really cocky. Two of us went to their LAN and so thoroughly demolished them, it was hilarious.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Hrm, interesting. Makes me want to fire it up now...

Haha, first thing that pops in my head when someone says "Warcraft". :)

17. adz

adz Member

Yes, when it came to multiplayer, Humans stood no chance once the Ogre-Magi started appearing, if you played Human, you had no choice but to grunt rush and hope to catch your opponent(s) off guard.

18. nimmers

nimmers Member

You could counter ogre spam and bloodlust with slow and ranged units.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

My son has been playing a heck of a lot of "Clash of Clans" lately. I'm going to get him to play WCII on the weekend and see what he thinks.

I did a similar thing back when we played Catacomb 3D with my daughter and son. Keen to hear his opinion on it this time around (my daughter is away on camp, so her opinion will have to wait).

20. Gullenager

Gullenager Member

Kind of true, you could sort of counter them with mages (slow & blizzard) and griffins, but to actually make it that far down the upgrade track was next to impossible against a good player. A really good human player could beat an average orc player, but if the orc player is just as good...

Water maps were a different thing, but none of our group really liked them. We also used to make heaps of custom maps that were well mirrored so that they were an even playing field. Good times.