Retro Let's Play Early April 2017: "Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness" (1995)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Apr 3, 2017.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

This thread stirred my interest so I installed WII on my P166MMX last night – fun! It really is a quality product and works happily with FakeCD which is always nice – I try and avoid having a disk in the drive whenever possible. You don’t get red book music with FakeCD obviously but from within the in-game options menu there was an option to turn off CD music, and lovely GM music immediately filled the room (via my NEC XR385). The game also recognised my Crystal based (ISA) sound card’s MSS capabilities without incident so I’m being treated to 16 bit audio – twice as good as 8 bit!

The awful 90’s cut scenes are much appreciated, as are the SVGA graphics and general attention to detail – light coming on when mining, etc.

2. nanolimit

nanolimit Member

Just got my old P90 setup a few weeks ago and got this installed, still have my original WC1, WC2 and WC2 b.net edition CD's. Had look on battle.net and no one :upset:

Used to absolutely love no where to run no where to hide, and a custom map I think was called BGH, and vs cpu in garden of war.

If anyones interested in a game on the war2.ru edition hit me up, though I do completely suck these days

3. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Warcraft 2 is one of my all time favourite games but it really was the original Warcraft that captured the imagination being my first experience with real time strategy.

The strategy that worked well for me was to build an equal number of footman/knights to Archers have them all upgraded in send them in to battle in groups of 9 (E.G 5 knights 4 archers), that way if your Knights are blocked as they're attacking buildings or other enemies your archers can attack Troll axethrowers attacking the knights at range for example, it becomes even more important in later levels where you get attacked by dragons you cant always have enough mages to attack from the ground so Archers are essential.

4. badmofo

badmofo Member

Ha this is where I fall down with these types of games - strategy! Not sure if I'm dumb or lazy or both, but I generally just fall back to my position of building up large numbers of whatever's cheapest and sending in wave after wave.

Something that served me well with C&C - and this game too it seems - is to focus on killing the enemy economy. In C&C for example you can send a couple of guys to attack an anti-aircraft thing - SAM I think they're called. Just attacking it enough to require fixing but not enough to destroy, and you can drain their cash. In WII I've parked some lads around the enemy goldmine to hassle the miners as they wander in and out, and this was allowed to go on for most of a level.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Finally got this fired up on my son's computer today. He plays a fair bit of "Clash of Clans" with his school mates (he's 9), so I thought I'd see how he went with this.

The biggest issue were the controls. In more modern games, just clicking on things has more context awareness (click on a resource to collect it, click on an enemy to fight it). Having to click an action followed by a location under tension had him seeing some early and frustrating deaths.

All the same, he enjoyed it for the 2 missions he played through. He got the main concepts easily, and enjoyed resource gathering and building. I hope he'll give it another go again soon.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Rass likes this.
  7. flain

flain Member

dirkmirk likes this.
  8. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

About bloody time, how hard could it be to add higher resolutions? 20 years late but better late than never, I would play though both those games to re-experience in high resolution.