Retro Let's Play Early March 2017: "Chrono Trigger" (1995)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Mar 1, 2017.

1. samus

samus Member

Can confirm default is Active. I've never ever (on SNES, DS or emu) played it in Wait. I assume it's the more traditional FF*/Secret of Mana/*bound style.

The only real difference it forces you to think ahead faster, for example when you have a boss with
    changing elemental weakness'
    , you have to manage the timer's of your party to do sweet
    Triple Tech
    attacks, and not die in the process.

Also congrats on the Switch, I'm waiting to see what homebrew I can run on it, and what the modding community does.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Ta. I'll try to persist with it a bit more, but I can see myself switching to "Wait" for tougher battles, because I suck at these things.

Secret of Mana is realtime - at least, what I would call realtime. (Not a JRPG guru, so maybe I've got my terms mixed up?).

But yeah, traditional FF is what I would call "Wait" style turn based.

I'm less excited about modding consoles these days. PCs and Raspberry Pis fill my need to tinker nicely (especially the Pi). What I hope to see is Nintendo do a much better job of backing retro gaming, and really improving their Virtual Console service. It's been pretty good so far across a few of their consoles (WiiU dropped the ball a bit, but that's the same for everything it did, not just retro), but they really need to release the handbrake and go wild.

But anyways, that's off topic. Kinda. I can't buy Chrono Trigger on WiiVC any more, and it should be available on Switch!

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

Still churning away at this even though Breath of the Wild is taking up so much of my gaming time. Playing on DS is nice, as I can play this while I'm waiting for the kids various sporting events each week.

Made it back to present day the first time around. If this is an "easy" RPG, then it re-inforces just how much I suck at RPGs. Although I can see how you'd rip through this on a second play (a lot of my stumbling is just not knowing which switch controls which part of a map or puzzle).

Keen to see this through to the end, but it's going to be a long churn with Zelda in the way. If only this had been voted in back in January. :lol:

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

As above, playing this ad hoc (mostly while waiting for the kids to do their sporting activities, as I'm playing it on Nintendo DS), but struggling to get into it. I just don't think I'm made for JRPGs. Taking a squiz at a longplay video, I don't think I'm even 10% in, and I'm really pushing myself to pick this up and play it.

I'm afraid I'm going to bail on this. Sorry JRPG fans. :(

5. schmoove

schmoove Member

I played this through for the first time on SNES about 4 months ago - so I'm sorry I can't play it through again now.
    Fantastic game - probably the best SNES RPG I've ever played.
    (I played through Mana afterwards and CT is way better)

Having said all that I have to use a walkthrough guide from gamefaq these days as I haven't got the time to play through without.
    There is no shame using a walkthrough! It's about the journey - not the achievement.

CT is definitely one of the greatest :thumbup:
    Edit: also no grinding necessary