Retro Let's Play: "Final Fantasy V" (1992)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Mar 19, 2019.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Retro Let's Play for late March 2019:

Final Fantasy V

Developed by Square and originally published by Square for the Nintendo Super Famicom in 1992.

To find out what this is and why we're doing it, click here.

The game opens with travelling hero Butz (sometimes spelled Bartz depending on localisation) who witnesses a meteor strike. Upon investigation, he finds an unconscious girl being kidnapped by goblins. After rescuing her, the two investigate further and find an old man named Galuf with amnesia. Their adventure begins as they discover the evil ancient sorcerer Exadeath, meet other travellers to join their party, learn skills through the Final Fantasy "job system" (i.e.: character classes), and all the usage Square RPG fun.

We previously played FF VI in another Retro Let's Play. Check out what was said about that here.

The game was initially released on the Nintendo Super Famicom in Japan, and much to the displeasure of JRPG fans followed in the tradition of FF III and IV by not being released in the west.

6 years later, in 1998, the title was ported to the Sony PlayStation by Tose, and a year later in 1999 was finally released, fully localised in English as part of the Final Fantasy Collection (including FF IV, V and VI). This version would include some extra CG cutscenes and other content, but keep most of the gameplay the same.

In 2006 the series saw a re-release with updated graphics to the GameBoy Advance, titled "Final Fantasy V Advance". This version would see new content including new jobs, a new temple and a new boss.

While the game was being considered for a Nintendo DS remake (similar to FF III and IV), instead that port was changed and turned into the iOS and Android port released in 2013. This featured a mix of smooth-scaled 2D art, as well as some Nintendo DS quality 3D art for cutscenes. The gameplay was taken from the enhanced GameBoy Advance version. Characters can also move in 8 directions instead of the original 4, as well as an auto-battle feature to speed up grinding.

Finally, in 2015, the iOS/Android version would be remastered and released for PC/Windows via Steam.

Playing the game:

Modern ports:

* PS3 and PSVita - get it from the Sony Store:
    https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP0082-NPEF00152_00-GFINALFANT000001

* PC/Windows - Steam:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/382890/FINAL_FANTASY_V/

* iOS/iPhone/iPad:
    https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/final-fantasy-v/id609577016?mt=8

* Android phone/tablet:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFV_GP

The Japanese Super Famicom version is available on Nintendo WiiU and New 3DS eShops/VirtualConsole, but only in Japan.

If you want to try out the SNES version, you can get a translation patch from here:
    https://www.romhacking.net/translations/353/

You'll need to patch your ROM (the site has instructions) and load it on to a Flash Cart or use it via an emulator. See our SNES FAQ for tips on playing a SNES with these tools today:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...o-entertainment-system-super-famicom.1251075/

The same patched ROM can be played on a MiSTer FPGA setup (this is how I'm playing it)
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...r-console-arcade-hardware-simulation.1253887/

If you want to play this on a PlayStation (either real hardware or an emulator), check out our PlayStation FAQ:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/retro-faq-sony-playstation.1252732/

Box art:

Super Famicom (Japan):

202768-final-fantasy-v-snes-front-cover.jpg
    PlayStation (US "Anthology" release):

final-fantasy-anthology-ps-eu.jpg

Gameboy Advance:

85414-final-fantasy-v-advance-game-boy-advance-front-cover.jpg

Long play video:

Remember that this is a heavily story-driven game, so there are substantial plot spoilers in the long play.

2. Boneman

Boneman Member

The job system is amazing, so much fun grinding them all out. Maybe I should start collecting all the loose Super Famicom carts I see lying about.

[​IMG]

elvis likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    elvis

Worth noting that places like AliExpress have SNES clone cartridges with translation patches applied.

Delivery usually takes a while, but my experience has always been pretty good with Chinese clone carts. Usual voltage warnings apply, so take the advice accordingly.

Some example links of PAL-compatible, English patched games (single game per cartridge, make sure you choose the right one if buying):
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fin...antasy-2-3-4-5-6-II-III-IV-V/32839791322.html
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PAL...IV-V-III-English-EUR-Version/32811825219.html

With that in mind, also be careful if you're buying cartridges off eBay these days. Lots of clone crap out there being sold at top dollar price. Demand original cartridge proof if you're paying the sorts of money that original games are going for (usually requires a photo of the PCB inside). Clone carts shouldn't ever be more than $10-20.

4. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

While I'm resisting giving this a go as I REALLY have to finish FF6 before not finishing another FF I had a quick look around to deduce what is the best version. Looks like people are somewhat split 50/50 between SNES and GBA. I also found this rom hack to improve sound quality on the GBA: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/563/

elvis likes this.
  5. power

power Member

i'm stuck in the middle of XV atm, but this is "on the list" lol

elvis likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

This isn't working with my GBA/DS EZ-Flash 3-in-1 currently. Saves keep getting corrupted. I thought it was the battery, so I replaced that (old one was pretty flat). But even with a fresh battery in they still corrupt. Can't tell if it's an incompatibility or not.

Despite the SNES being my favourite console (and I've put a few hours into this on SNES so far), grinding away on RPGs is far easier on handhelds. Hopefully I can sort this out and enjoy it on the go (even if it means restarting).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  7. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

This and 6 (3 in USA) are the only FF games I’ve finished, both on SNES. The job system in this game is really cool. Gilgamesh’s theme is an awesome tune too :)

Anyone managed to defeat the two ‘secret’ bosses, Omega or Shinryu?

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

Turns out I shorted the replacement battery. Idiot!

Fixed it, made some progress. So far enjoying this more than FF6.

WuZMoT likes this.
  9. shredder

shredder Member

Slightly on, slightly off topic. AKA casual middle of the night post before bed.

I never played one of these games (or the Zeldas, but that's literally another story). I haven't got time to play these retro ones, but might consider one of the newer flashy ones, if awesome.

Not sure if they'd be my thing. I've read (and continue to read) too much fantasy, to the point of boredom with the genre's common tropes. Have to look harder these days to find good stuff that (a) I haven't read and (b) isn't overdone tropesville. Just rambling really, as I've zero idea whether any of this applies to Final Fantasy games. But that's my thinking.

Anyhow mainly, I'm very hesitant to commit to most games these days due to the aforementioned time thing.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm not a big fantasy JRPG player at all. I struggled to get into FF6, and have to push myself to play this one. I'm somewhat enjoying it, but the story isn't my thing.

Try playing "Earthbound" and see what you think. I played it (and it's prequel, "Mother", but I'd recommend you skip that). It has similar mechanics, but is less complex (and shorter) and has a very surreal and more modern story. Those are the only two JRPGs I've played to completion, and I loved them both.

11. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

My interest tapered off a bit with FF6 but I'm determined to finish it at some point. The problem now is it was so long since I put it down trying to pick it up again I feel a bit lost. If you can't consistently play a Final Fantasy then the less you do the harder the story is to pick back up again. IMO.

I'm interested in giving FF5 a proper go at some point knowing that for some people it was better than 6 then maybe I'd have a better chance of clocking it without large gaps between play.

My FF6 save is about 25-30 hours deep and i stopped 2-3 years ago. The stupid thing is if you were playing FF7 for the first time and I was sitting next to you on the couch I could basically be a walkthrough audiobook.

elvis likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Nope.

Several attempts at the fire ship, and I give up. Grinding for levels, knowing the specific stats of every character and every attack formation of every boss... I can't stand any of it.

That's the second Final Fantasy game I give up on. Not my cup of tea at all.

Mother 3 will likely be my next and final JRPG. FF7 is on the Top47K list, but if it's more of this sort of thing, I'm out.

13. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I'm a seasoned FF7 player but I don't think it takes excessive grind to beat, not sure how it compares to 5 but I reckon it's easier than 6 (based on my experience of 6 @ 20 odd hours). I found myself grinding in 6 to proceed a bit. The main times you might get caught off guard with 7 is where it creates involvement of all characters and forces you to split into multiple parties to handle multiple routes. It usually gives you fair warning it's doing this before proceeding which in my experience FF6 just sort of sprung the script on you without a chance to check equipment. Depending on what items/magic you worked on obtaining up until that point dictates what you have to "spread around" when it does this to you.

I definitely worked out some of the characters in 6 were OP and when it split me off and wouldn't let me include them I was annoyed but tried to consider that when building split parties. There's a couple of things you can do/get in 7 that make it easier for I'd say as much as maybe the later 2 thirds of the game or possibly even earlier. As long as you face most random encounters for consistent leveling and remember that the party size limit is 3 but you might need to adequately equip 6+ characters at times you should be fine. Just don't go thinking leveling 3 x cures is enough etc...

Above all else the story of 7 I love to bits. If it doesn't pull you in then all of this stat/item/ability stuff is irrelevant.

6 drew me in on visual charm and story but lost me after 20-odd hours. I don't blame the game though I'm just older and have less of an attention span.

elvis likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Well that, and I don't think I ever had the patience to begin with.

JRPGs were designed specifically for a Japanese home market. Game centres (arcades) were plentiful in Japan in the 90s, so fast action games were trivially easy to come by there. JRPGs were designed to be slower paced, intentionally long story driven games played solo. In Japan you don't generally entertain people at home, as houses and rooms are small. If you want to meet up with friends, you do it out and about instead. So these immersive, single player games exploded in the home market in the 8 and 16 bit generation.

During that time, I was up to my eyeballs on twitch-shmups, arcade brawlers, and later Street Fighter II style games. I was born and raised on short, action-filled games, and it's only been in my adult years that I've had enough patience to slow down and play more story driven titles. We did "Silent Hill 2" a while back and despite only managing to squeeze 4 or so hours in due to work and life, I loved that, and want to go back to it. That definitely would not have happened even in my 20s or 30s, where I would have been far too impatient for that.

I can certainly see the charm in Final Fantasy games. Where I flip a table is there's 2 ways to play them as far as I can see:

1) Go full stats-nerd, memorise every weapon, enemy stat, enemy pattern, strength/weakness combo, and perfect-play your way to victory. Every time I get stuck and look up a video, these are the sorts of play throughs I find, which frustrate the shit out of me. Here's me fighting the fire ship boss with level 16 characters, doing maybe 150 damage if I'm lucky, getting my arse beat. Meanwhile some YouTuber has a level 12 party, and drops the boss in 2 hits of 2000+ damage on each hit. What the fuck?

2) Grind, grind, grind. And with the ~1hour a day best case (often far less) I've got to play games, that ain't cutting it. It'll take me centuries to play this.

Again, I can see the appeal. If you've got time up your sleeve, the stories are amazing, and there's tonnes to do. Maybe this one goes on the "when the kids move out and I retire" pile. But it's not getting played by me any more for at least a decade.

WuZMoT likes this.
  15. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

<- Can't finish a Final Fantasy game, clocks 2500 hours of Rocket League. :wired:

elvis likes this.
  16. power

power Member

also builds arcade cabinet instead of playing games, you know I think you have a procrastination problem.

WuZMoT likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Not going to lie. I spent close to 4 hours all up calibrating three different displays using expensive colorimeters on the weekend. Only one of those displays was made in the last decade.

But holy crap, do they look sexy.

power and WuZMoT like this.
  18. power

power Member

I'm the opposite, i procrastinate by playing games. I need to repair my 1084S' RGB port but instead I connected via composite and played Turrican 2 for a couple of hours.

elvis likes this.
  19. Boneman

Boneman Member

Grinding is like meditation for me. And those one-hit deaths on enemies that mauled me early game, priceless.

I did more grinding in FF8 than 7, loved the junction system a little too much. However FF7 makes it so much fun to Learn Enemy Skills, you basically want to grind out battles to find more.

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

And I get that. I can play Street Fighter endlessly on loop for the same meditative reasons. But for some reason, the JRPG mechanic just doesn't gel with me.

Obviously it gels with millions of people though, because this series (and many like it) are enormously popular. Indeed, our next "Let's Play" game will be yet another popular JRPG that I'll have to endure, but hopefully it'll be different enough to excite me.