Retro Let's Play: "Final Fight" (1989)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by nimmers, Apr 1, 2018.

1. nimmers

nimmers Member

Click to view full size!

This Month Elvis is away and he has asked me to run Retro Let's play.

This is all you should need to bring back the nostalgia:

As a kid I remember hearing that attract screen blaring in the arcade, louder than everything else.

At the time nobody had seen anything the likes of it, huge sprites, awesome game play, iconic voice samples and music that sticks in my head nearly 30 years later.

Released on just about every platform but only really worth playing on Arcade, Sega CD and SNES (but only if you have to). There is a faithful reproduction available on XBLA and PSN called Final Fight: Double Impact. It is also playable on the usual MAME, Final Burn, Fightcade etc.

For it's time it was quite edgy, it was censored in various ports. Notably a boss named "Sodom" had to be renamed, female characters were canonically changed to be transsexuals (because punching transsexuals was then more socially acceptable) and the final boss "Belger" who was handicapped had his wheelchair re-drawn.

Originally this game was developed as a sequel to the not so well received "Street Fighter" which might be a hint as to what is coming in future!

shredder, Spirit76, MonoJoker and 3 others like this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Brilliant game choice, and thanks for doing up the thread! I'll keep an eye out for the arcade machine in Tokyo next week, and throw a couple hundred yen in one if I find it on my Akihabara travels.

3. Grant

Grant Member

Played this for a bit in MAME, it's so sweet having infinite credits for beat-'em-ups like this - I was at Bar Electronica in Melbourne a little while ago and put way too much money into TMNT...

Where does this game sit in the timeline of beat-em-ups? The main ones I played were Double Dragon on the Sega consoles (though I have the Streets of Rage games through the modern releases of MD ROMs) and TMNT - as a kid I never really got far on them because I usually only had one credit to play with.

Modern ones I liked are Shank (though that's less 3D, from memory it was only a foreground and maybe a background plane) and Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks on the original Xbox.

I'm also eagerly waiting on PAPRIUM for the Mega Drive :leet:

elvis and nimmers like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    nimmers

nimmers Member

elvis and Grant like this.
  5. elvis

Found it in Taito HEY in Akihabara. Was about to play when a Japanese businessman pushed in front, and cleared the game in the fastest time I've ever seen. What a champ!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  6. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Spent so much money on this and Captain Commando :)

Alby1976 and elvis like this.
  7. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

This is still an awesomly fun game nearly 30 years on. Great way to get out some frustration beating people with pipes & picking up knives and throwing them at enemies.

elvis likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    nimmers

nimmers Member

I have been really really sick but got some games in on this on Sunday. Still awesome. Gotta be up there for best arcade soundtrack of all time :)

I really want to 1CC this one day, the farthest I think I've ever gotten with 1 credit is Eddie.E.

9. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I love these beat-up-hordes-of-mooks games (don't have the reflexes or the patience for the learning curve of 1v1 fighters) but if my memory is correct this one lacks the combos/depth of stuff like SoR2, AvP, Sengoku 3, Die Hard arcade etc. remember getting kinda bored kinda quickly

Definitely on the Streets of Rage 2 train, was one of those rare Megadrive was better than SNES moments lol

10. elvis

True, but all those games came much later. Final Fight was in between early titles like Renegade and Double Dragon, and just before the slew of 90s brawlers.

Nothing came close to Final Fight when it was released for either gameplay or visual polish. It's hard to describe just how amazing this game looked and played when it appeared, with it's massive sprites and super smooth gameplay.

11. OP
    OP
    nimmers

nimmers Member

Yeah man CPS1 was amazing. Look at that library: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System

CPS1 and CPS2 after it account for probably 80% of my favorite games.

12. elvis

Add CPS3 in there, and it's a "ditto" from me.

CPS2 in particular was very clever - it had a non-square aspect ratio that allowed artists to add in more image detail. When the image was squashed back to 4:3 aspect ratio, it gave a picture detail much higher than other systems.

And it's also an easy tell when people capture screenshots from emulators rather than direct feeds, as they'll generally forget to squash it back to 4:3 ratio.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  13. power

power Member

i remember seeing it for the first time, blew my mind - pretty sure i saw it around the same time as Golden Axe. One of my favourite beat 'en ups. Smashing the car was such fun!

14. OP
    OP
    nimmers

nimmers Member

As much as I like CPS3 - the SH-2 games don't have the same feel as the 68K games. There's a different beating heart and soul in that machine.

15. elvis

It took me a while. At first it was all too different. But then I grew to love the ultra-high framerate that the SH-2 hardware offered.

That same SH-2 is what gave the Saturn all of it's amazing 2D sprite warping and animation abilities, and produced some of the prettiest 2D games around. It's just a shame the world went 3D mad at the time, and left the Saturn behind.

But I agree that the CPS3 lost a bit of the early Capcom vibe. CPS1 and 2 games definitely have a related feel about them that other hardware doesn't.

16. elvis

Fired this up on the MAME cabinet and credit-fed my way to victory. Things I noticed along the way (some for the first time, some a reminder of what was previously forgotten):

* This game is damned hard. Sometimes to the point of cheesiness. Several spots will have enemies hit you with attacks out of the blue if you've not memorised them, and there are times when you're knocked down and can be hit even on the ground (Andre's various jump-slam attacks). Also when you get up from an attack, you don't have the small invincibility window that most console titles give you, making it possible to have your whole life bar wiped out very quickly on one enemy attack. Memorisation and patience are key in this game more so than other console brawlers. Rushing forwards in this game will get you real dead real quick.

* The second-last stage features the classic elevator level (which is usually the second-last or last stage in most brawlers). I wonder what the first side scrolling beat-em-up to feature an elevator stage was? Certainly since Final Fight, it was a mandatory staple for every game in the genre.

* Rolento is the boss of the elevator level, and he appears later in the Street Fighter Alpha series. Notably in Final Fight he has the classic "blue shadow" that follows him around, which would later be used in super special moves from "Super Street Fighter II: Turbo" and onwards.

* I'm glad I didn't play this in Tokyo. I would have embarrassed myself badly.

17. OP
    OP
    nimmers

nimmers Member

I have the arcade PCB of this game. One thing I recently learned is that there is a button 3!

If your JAMMA setup has button 3 wired, button 3 can be used as a throw escape. For example if an Andore picks you up, just press this button and he will put you back down.

Must be some test feature Capcom forgot to take out :)

elvis likes this.
  18. elvis

The machine I spotted in HEY had button 3 wired for rapid fire.

I wonder if either of these can be mapped in MAME?

[edit] Confirmed - MAME has button 3 set to "Cheat" by default, which has the same behaviour you describe above (Andore drops me as soon as I push it while being grabbed). I'm assuming the HEY setup was something custom they did.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  19. OP
    OP
    nimmers

nimmers Member

LOL that's awesome :D

20. elvis