1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Let's Play for kick ass February is Silkworm!!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Vanne, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

Screenshoty.png

Silkworm is a horizontal shooter, developed by Tecmo and first released for arcades in 1988. In 1989 it was ported to the Amiga, AtariST, Commodore 64, ZX Speccy, Amstrad and NES by The Sales Curve (SCi) and released by Virgin Mastertronics. there's also a homebrew conversion for the Dreamcast.

As a bonus for today, Tecmo's horizontal shooter Silkworm is coming to Nintendo Switch & PS4 later this week as part of Arcade Archives. It will begin distribution on February 1st. (yeah that's today)

1926_screen5.png

I hope this title screen brigs back a lot of fond memories for all you here at OCAU forums. I know it does for me. I played this to death in the summer of 1990 with a really good mate of mine. Its not often that an arcade conversion is better than the original, but that's the case here. The Amiga version is IMHO the best version of this game out there. Its just THAT good!!!

Thanks goes to SomeChap who reminded me of the glory days. :)

QBVIKINGS.thumb.png.1013d345200ebd3bc1e5f17de388088a (1).png

Even though we had 2 joysticks, the way this game is best played, is the Chopper guy on the joystick and the Jeep guy on the keyboard. One of the BEST 2 player games available on the Amiga. Programmed by utter legend and fun guy, Ronald Pieket-Weeserik, an amazing job, smashing the arcade original. (there are a few differences between the Amiga version and the arcade, most notably the Amiga (and all other conversions) version has stages and an ending.)

1926_screen3.png

amiga cover.jpg

silkworm-c.png

You can obtain the .ADF here: Download Silkworm - My Abandonware
    (preferably played on real hardware, though WinUAE is also great)
    WinUAE Amiga emulator <---- get it here.

(you'll need the kickstart rom though, pm me if you need help)

Play it in a browser here (at your own risk)
    https://www.retrogames.cc/arcade-games/silk-worm.html

Starts really easy, but ramps up. Super fun little game and super well recieved, as shown below in the ZZap Amiga review. zzap-sizzler.gif

Screenshot 2024-01-27 061143.png

rrrr.gif

Great game, really it is, boot it up and have a go, and see how far you'll get, if you wanna play the arcade rom, that's fine too :) both are awesome. Post up your scores :)
    th.jpg
    (original Tecmo arcade machine)

Have a great Feb, and kick some butt on Silkworm!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    NismoR31, Trizae, mAJORD and 7 others like this.
  2. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Totally forgot this game... will be playing when I can. :)

JSmith

MUTMAN and Vanne like this.
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Awesome, but the arcade version is hard. I never get far at all.
    I'll be looking for tips from the pros on how to last more than 1970s pocket money

JSmithDTV and Vanne like this.
  4. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Amazing, I played this game on my Amiga as a kid so much, what a great choice :thumbup:

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. CRTified

CRTified Member

Cool, I will have a turn of this. I hope 1P is ok. Amiga was the realm of certain school friends, back then, so my Amiga experiences consisted of whatever I played at their houses.

The project formerly known as MegaAGS, and recently renamed as AmigaVision, is a good Amiga package for users of emulators or MiSTers, covering a large range of Amiga stuff.

Setup for Amiga hardware: https://amiga.vision/docs#setup-for-amiga-hardware
    Setup for emulators: https://amiga.vision/docs#setup-for-emulators
    Setup for MiSTer: https://amiga.vision/docs#setup-for-mister

MUTMAN and pwlm1975 like this.
  6. CRTified

CRTified Member

admin

please pin this sucker! :D :D

pwlm1975 and JSmithDTV like this.
  7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

power

JSmith

pwlm1975 and power like this.
  8. CRTified

CRTified Member

Just spent an initial hour playing. Great military side shooter!, it plays very well. The ground-to-air barrages are quite heavy during the hard parts, I can see how it would be super cool with 2P jeep assist. Early bosses quite easy. Soon figured out that the tingly things can be shields (if collected) or bombs (if shot). Things started to ramp up more around wave 6. Then early wave 8 repeatedly kicked my butt, and that's where I left it for today.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    Vanne, pwlm1975 and MUTMAN like this.
  9. power

power Member

awesome awesome choice I played this game so much especially co-op. If you get a chance grab a mate/kid/random and get them to play with you. One of the all time best Amiga side scrollers. In a lot of ways I found this more fun that the sequel S.W.I.V.

Timing the shield/bomb is the key to getting through some of the tough spots imho.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    MUTMAN, Vanne and JSmithDTV like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

11. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Member

Never got far with this one but only played the arcade version so might need to check out the Amiga. S.W.IV. played the crap out of back on the day on Amiga with a friend and loved.

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

plays quite well in chromium browser on a rasp pi :thumbup::thumbup:
    keyboard does suck a fair bit for this game though :D

Vanne likes this.
  13. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

From what I remember, for beginners the helicopter is easier because you can go anywhere. But for pros the jeep is easier because you can shoot anywhere.

As the jeep, there's a button you can hold down that reverses your shooting so you can attack the tank that comes from behind.
    If you have dual-fire and set your shooting down at the ground, a single jump will raise it slightly so you're shooting parallel and slightly upwards. This makes you impervious to early tank bosses.
    You can drive under the gold pillar when the base rotates to show an open tunnel.
    When the goose plane starts to assemble, if you concentrate firepower on the grey piece you can destroy it before it finishes and you get a double power up.

JSmithDTV, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  14. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

I played the shit out of this on Amiga. Pretty sure I could finish the entire game without dying. Won't test the theory now however.

Jeep more fun than helicopter.

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  15. power

power Member

Gave the new (well December) AGS image a go on my CD32 today and what better game to test than this, it's definitely just as fun as I remember it.

I actually never played the arcade version maybe I should try it out.

It was a little surreal using my Monster stick to play this as back in the day I never would have had anything quite so fancy, as a matter of fact I probably used my TAC-2 for most games or one of the many random sticks I owned.

Vanne likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Yep best in Co-op mode :)

17. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
  18. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

My mate & I used to play this all the time on C64. I'd go to his place before school.

JSmithDTV, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Cheers DrFrag

I want to see someone play heli and jeep at the same time :lol:

JSmithDTV likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Ive never played this on the C64, maybe ill give it as spin.

C64 version in a browser, but i cant hear the background music.. also you have to go full screen to go beyond the cracking intro.

Silk Worm - c64online.com

(C64 Longplay version)

Music by Barry Leitch, the sountrack alone went on to cult status years later. A totally amazing job by Warren Mills on the C64 conversion.. ive just been watching the longplay, and none of the speed has been compromised on, and thats great to see. Really exellent job on the c64.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024