1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Let’s Play July 2022: Donkey Kong (Nintendo 1981)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by MUTMAN, Jun 30, 2022.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

July is Donkey Kong's 41st birthday

Let’s Play Donkey Kong

[​IMG]

Come with me while I take you on the short journey of the genesis of my video game love affair.
    Earlier on yes, Space Invaders and others had certainly caught my eye, but once I laid eyes on that brown timber Donkey Kong arcade machine it was 'game over'. From 1982 onward I thought of two things and two things only, Sharon Kirby and Donkey Kong (and not always in that order).
    Now I don't know where Sharon is today, but Donkey Kong has stayed with me this whole time.

Some years later I'd come to find out I'd initially been duped (and addicted) by what was actually Crazy Kong by Falcon, a rough old 'bootleg' of the real arcade hit.
    Fun fact, Crazy Kong isn't even a real bootleg, it was officially licensed for sale in Japan only because Nintendo couldn't keep up with demand for Donkey Kong arcade machines. Falcon stretched the contract terms and exported the cabinets overseas. Nintendo USA sued and won.

With all the versions of the original Donkey Kong having an estimated gross $4.4 billion in revenue, it's probably fair to say Nintendo wouldn't be the Nintendo we know today if not for Donkey Kong.
    This game has spawned a ton of ports, hacks, clones and has had two officially licensed versions. And, it's been in the middle of a few legal issues over the last 41 years too. I'm sure everyone here knows the Billy Mitchell story ...

The Wikipedia entry does a fantastic job of telling the full tale. But I'd like to spam you with pictures and video links too.

We have hacks, clones, bootlegs, a cool sound comparison, JP play-through and the US play-through. Phew! That's a lot of time watching and not playing, lucky I have you trapped all month :)

Anyway, enough of my onion on a belt story, on with the show.

The Game; Donkey Kong (Arcade)
    There must be "a million ways" to play this, but the best way is of course just plain old MAME and a four way gated joystick.
    The latest release of MAME and a quick search on everybody's favourite internet library will have you up and jumping barrels in no time. Just holler if you get stuck. I'll be leaning on elvis to drop links of one of his awesome setup vids
    If you find the regular ROM too easy there's always the "Foundry Edition" which has new levels which are super hard to master.
    If you'd like a slightly easier option the JP ROM lets you wait at the top of a ladder, the barrels will roll right past the ladder and wont drop down on you.
    I wont be offended if you want to play the excellent ColecoVision port either.

The first time you saw or played Donkey Kong. Was it love at first sight ? Tell me a story :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

More onion on my belt stuff here

We did Donkey Kong 94 not that long ago, and it's certainly worthy of the "DK" title.
    While you are over at archive.org, watch some of the TV commercials for Donkey Kong Cereal. TV was this bad, you just forgot.

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters portrays Steve Wiebe's attempts to break the Donkey Kong world record, then considered to have been held by Billy Mitchell (aka cheater scum).
    Robbie Lakeman took over four hours to grab the current record 1,260,700 points. Amazing.

There's "No Hammer Challenge" where competitors try to get the highest score without using the hammer (735,100).

In 2010 Nintendo trademarked the phrase "It's on like Donkey Kong". Confusingly, it was coined by Ice Cube in the 1992 song "Now I Gotta Wet'cha" . Please do not search this song or the lyrics if you are easily, mediumily, or even harderily offended. It most certainly is NSFW.

A game can make people happy, it can change the way you think, and apparently it might make you change your walls and shelves :D

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

fredhoon, mAJORD, badmofo and 11 others like this.
  2. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Aw hell yeah, good choice. :leet:
    Nothin' wrong with that, it was the style at the time...

JSmith

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  3. caltech

caltech Member

Can't remember which version (ie, Crazy or Donkey), but I remember being shown a trick where you climb the ladder on the first level, keeping your back showing, tap the joystick right so that Mario moves but still keeps his back showing, then jump off the level to the right.

That would complete the level.

Aside from that, I played the Colecovision version to death - couldn't believe how close it was to the original. Ah, the nostalgia of being old!

Vanne, JSmithDTV and MUTMAN like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

the JP version has that bug

bit of an underrated console. it would be interesting to find out what went wrong for it, because they had plenty of decent titles

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    XD 351 Ute and JSmithDTV like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

"playing donkey kong to win" pdf attached for anyone that wants to kick the score boards butt

I'd like to point out that while i do indeed love this game dearly, i also cant score very well ....

Attached Files:

XD 351 Ute and JSmithDTV like this.
  6. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

I absolutely suck at this game. I think I'm just too damned impatient or something. It's definitely that old school "you have to do it exactly the way the game wants you to" kinda vibe, which in itself always makes me laugh when the youngsters tell me that Dark Souls invented that. :)

I think this month for me is going to be another comparison, similar to what I did with Ghouls and Ghosts. This game has been ported to a TONNE of platforms, so it's going to be fun to try them all out.

CGA MS-DOS version, anyone? (And while you're there, try to imagine Nintendo porting ANYTHING to PC in 2022). :)

XD 351 Ute, MUTMAN and JSmithDTV like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

The timing is hyper critical in this one.
    I might need to drop wireless controllers and go full wired.
    But for now ...

PXL_20220701_045224804.jpg

USA rom 3 lives 7k bonus

XD 351 Ute likes this.
  8. elvis

Oh don't worry, I suck plenty on a real arcade machine. :)

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Vanne --> Fark.. I just deleted my post.. :(

I read it in an email notification :)

Spring stage is kinda easy when you know the patterns.
    On the first few levels don't go the long way, take the short cut across the top of the playfield.
    I'll dig up a vid if I can later tonight.

10. Vanne

Vanne Member

bit of an underrated console. it would be interesting to find out what went wrong for it, because they had plenty of decent titles[/QUOTE]

The Adam is what sealed the coffin for Coleco, which funnily enough was actually a shoe fixing/making buisness. The Colecovision was awesome, the donkey Kong port for example was probably the closest to the arcade from any system, and just have a look a smurf.. crazy cool system..

Mut! Love your choice mate, love this game, but I suck so badly at it, I've only ever once got to the first spring stage.. played it at the Cairns roller boogie rink back in the 80's while my older sisters were out chasing boys , I'd tag along and play this... Love it . But yeah I do suck at it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    MUTMAN likes this.
  11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Just thought I'd share a few things I found whilst locating the ROM;

upload_2022-7-1_21-15-10.png

upload_2022-7-1_21-15-52.png

upload_2022-7-1_21-16-21.png

upload_2022-7-1_21-16-50.png

Original manual;

Unknown (mprd.se)

upload_2022-7-1_21-14-45.png

JSmith

XD 351 Ute, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

like elvis said earlier, this game is old school and punishes any mistake, no matter how small

here is one way of skipping the bottom half of the stage

timing up the top in later stages

its a simple mechanic just with tight timing. a lot like Galaga in those respects. Learn the patterns, practice the timing. rinse repeat.
    Not sure why, but i find these types of games very frustrating but rewarding at the same time :D

Vanne likes this.
  13. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks for the tips.. I'll see how I go.. spring stage for me is like that scene from top gun.. "your lucky to even be here!" :).

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Good luck mate. I thought of another tip to help get you going quicker.
    Use the JP rom for now as spring/elevator in USA rom isn't until Level 2, and it's moving much quicker by then. In JP rom you run all four playfields for each level.
    Also JP means you can stand at the top of ladders and not die (mostly)

Vanne likes this.
  15. Vanne

Vanne Member

cool, ill grab that rom :)

MUTMAN likes this.
  16. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

That's my jam. Gotta be close to the first video game I ever played I reckon along with zaxxon, alley cat, bouncing babies & ancient art of war on my dad's 286.

MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  17. nimmers

nimmers Member

Hate this game with the intensity of a thousand suns.

Wish the scene would just get over it and play better games.

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  18. power

power Member

while I enjoy a bit of DK I always preferred DK Jr - still have my copy of that one from back in the day.

I never even saw a DK machine IRL but we had a great home version on the 8 bit Atari.

Also, I kinda suck at it :)

upload_2022-7-3_12-8-23.png

MUTMAN likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I do love this one too, and it's also intensely hard in arcade format.
    In the last few years "I discovered" the double high jump off the first spring in the second playfield. I've been dying needlessly for years crossing that bottom part :o

20. elvis

I like a man who knows what he's about. :)

nimmers likes this.