Retro Let's Play Late Feb 2017: "Syndicate" (1993)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Feb 14, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I do remember back in the day having to do some weird memory stuff to get Syndicate working.

Going entirely from memory, it's a DOS4GW wrapped binary, so just freeing up as much RAM as you can (i.e.: not loading anything at all) should at least get it fired up, as that'll allow DOS4GW to grab everything it can.

Some notes here via das googles:
    http://syndicate.lubiki.pl/synd/html/synd_patches.php

2. power

power Member

Real retro indeed. Good luck!

3. xcessive303

xcessive303 Member

Amazing thread, I too used to play this on the family 386 back in the day. I used to love teh violence of the miniguns. One of Perter Monlyeux's best games I think before EA came along and destroyed everything.

4. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Are you guys getting missing sounds? It must be a feature of the game.

On the Pentium Pro system with SB32(PNP) I was missing sounds when their was some action, like a shootout using shotguns, I checked youtube and the same thing was happening on that video too with a modern machine.

I had a lot of trouble with the 486SXL system so I gave up their, now using a cyrix 5x86-120 with a NON PNP SB16 CT1770 and getting the same missing sounds, the game mustn't handle too many sounds at once.

P.S - Using a ball mouse:Paranoid::lol:

5. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Try disabling cache and see if it resolves (partially) the problem.

6. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

I played the original, but was more of a fan of the sequel, Syndicate Wars.
    That had some good graphics for the time.

7. power

power Member

yeah the cutscenes were groundbreaking at the time, I played Syndicate for a little while on Sunday and while it was fun for a bit - but hot damn it looked ugly on my huge ass 4K screen. :(

8. Krumm

Krumm Member

For those who enjoyed Syndicate it may be worth having a look at Sattelite Reign which was made by Brisbane 5 Lives Studio.

9. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Holy shit.. the video makes it look like a straight out Syndicate rippoff :lol:

10. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I've played this on my 486, and on my Amiga 1200.

The PC version is definitely superior... higher res, more colors, smoother animation. The levels and gameplay are the same.
    There's a CD32 version but it seems to be the same as the floppy version?!

I generally find that games from about 92/93 onwards, which are available on both platforms, are better on PC. Before that, the Amiga version is usually much better.

IMO This is largely because the amiga was a better machine than the PC until 386, VGA and Soundblaster came along in the late 80's, but then it took until 92/93 for this tech to become affordable for the average consumer!

11. power

power Member

Yeah the 486 was the turning point for PC land, before that they were mostly just shit. A ragtag mix of video modes, rubbish pc speaker audio, mono displays - just yuck.

Then along came the 486 which was fast enough to do software mode 3D, real sound cards, colour screens, once that happened the rest as they say, is history.

As you say it all happened around the dawn of CD ROM.

12. okclock123

okclock123 Member

That is exactly what I am playing right now, because I beat Syndicate and I need more :D.

Maybe American Revolution and Wars some day..

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Hrm... I have a CD32. Can you plug a mouse into those and play Syndicate that way? Or is it all gamepad based?

14. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I believe an Amiga mouse works fine in a CD32, but I don't have one to check myself.

By all accounts Syndicate CD32 is literally the exact same game as the floppy version, just a different medium.

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

My CD32 is missing a power supply, but I can make one easily out of a PC power supply. I need to get off my butt and do that so I can test more of these games, as so many of them have Amiga (and thus CD32) ports.

16. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I finished the game a few days ago but I have to say it wasn't as hard as I remembered it.

I completed the game on my 5x86-120 with ball mouse, surprisingly the mouse never let me down and to be honest I didn't feel their was a great difference between that and a laser mouse on my pentium pro.