1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Lets Play! March 2024 - Far Cry

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by mAJORD, Feb 29, 2024.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Welcome to Retro lets play! for March 2024... And it's time to cast our minds back 20 years exactly, to March 2004 , when a game was to be released that would wow us with it's gorgeous tropical open world , cutting edge graphics , unique gameplay elements , and re-kindle the PCs reputation as the gaming platform of choice to make such creations possible.

MV5BZmJiODczOWUtMGE5Mi00YmFmLWI5NjUtNmM1NjM4ZGQ5MGI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_.jpg

That game is of course Far Cry!

History:

I'd say most would know this game well enough , but for those that skipped over it, some history. The game was Developed by the German developer 'Crytek' , Which of course were also responsible for the later released , and possibly better known(?) Crysis. Somewhat unsurprisingly, this developer was initially known purely for its Tech demo(s) , In particular the demo, X-Isle: Dinosaur Island released in 1999.

The stand out aspect of Crtyek's engines and / or Demo(s) , and what got publisher Ubisoft's attention in the years proceeding , was the incredible Open world rendering capabilities. So again unsurprisingly their first major game developed under Ubisoft would focus heavily on these Strengths, and essentially evolve X-Iile into a full fledged game - thus 'Far cry' was to be a large open world first person game with lush tropical landscapes and extremely long (at the time) draw distances , giving real immersion in the game world .

Official Synopsis:

Far Cry: The game's story follows a retired U.S. Army Special Forces soldier stranded on a mysterious archipelago. He is searching for a female journalist named Valerie Constantine, after she went missing when their boat was destroyed by mercenaries. The game includes thematic elements relating to the dangers of weaponizing genetic engineering and the genocide of local islanders as can be seen by the deformed creatures created by a mad scientist named Krieger.

Official Trailer:

farcry_gf6800_1.jpg farcry_gf6800_2.jpg 555906-371314_20040323_003.jpg

Safe to say the visuals, and Gameplay mechanics enabled by some of the engine's capabilities created a lot of anticipation as these Trailers rolled in, and it wasn't in vain, with the game getting pretty good reception overall. Given this was Crytek's First successful game release (their previous attempt was cancelled) , It's quite an achievement.

Personally, I haven't touched this game since release, when I finished it , but my memories of it are fond still.. back then I took my time and engaged very long distance 'sniper' style combat for large chunks of the game clearing areas before proceeding .. I found this quite novel at the time, but I might try a different tactict this time round, I'm not sure.

Anyhow. . Looking forward to seeing how it holds up 20 years later in retrospect, and keen to hear others thoughts on that also.. it was not heavy on story or complex gameplay even by standards at the time, so without the wow factor of the Engine's capabilities now, what will it play like? Lets see I guess.

Enjoy!

How to play:

PC:

NOTE!: I posted this Up slightly early because of some really unfortunate timing over a Steam, where This game can be had for just $4.50 until 10AM on the 1st (!!) , so get on it if you don't have a copy :S

Steam Link
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/13520/Far_Cry/

Thankfully.. if you read this too late, it's normal price is only $15 , which you know, is a bottle of ordinary wine, or a meal for one out.. not the end of the world.
    --

Also available here
    GOG: https://www.gog.com/en/game/far_cry

--
    von Stalhein has informed me if you create, or have already a Ubisoft account, it is only $9.95 from their store.

Fixes, notes:

First up, a Widescreen fix/ mod that might be on interest , I'll be playing on my CRT personally.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2234969089

I found the steam version seems to already be patched.

Issues found on windows 10:

if your game won't get passed the splash screen:

go to: "install dir"\far cry\system.cfg and open with notepad

change the line:

r_ShadersPrecache = "1.000"

to:

r_ShadersPrecache = "0"

save and try again.

If installing from CD, there are of course patches, I won't list them all here, i'm nt up to speed currently, but since i'm installing on CD shortly on my old machine, i'll update with anything important

----
    CONSOLE
    Outside of PC , there are releases on XBOX 360 and PS3 from 2014.. Be interesting to see what those ports are like.
    There's also Far Cry Instinct's: Evolution for the XBOX , but it's quite a different game apparently, much more limited in scope.

Backwards compatible with XBOX 1 (Thanks Jsmith)

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/far-cry-classic/c41n44f9bzht

MISC:

If anyone has other mods for the original game, such as worthy texture packs , things of that nature do post, i'll chuck them here for reference

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Does this still need the amd64 patch? I never played the steam version only the pcdvd version

BlueRaven and mAJORD like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I think the steam version also has that included.. After I made the cfg change it appears to work OK here ( on my main machine - win10 ) .. I just briefly started campaign to check

4. Vanne

Vanne Member

Ohh man!! what a choice for a game!!! I absolutely loved this when it first came out. Never finished it, attempted a restart many many times.. gonna give it a go for this month.

Excellent choice mAJORD.:thumbup:

mAJORD and JSmithDTV like this.
  5. badmofo

badmofo Member

Ah FarCry, what a classic. This came out around the time I was getting back into gaming so I pretty much went from Quake to this, and it blew my mind. I still clearly remember the opening level - getting sneak previews of the island through the windows in the rusty sewer and thinking "there's no way it looks that good close up", but then the door opened wow, it was glorious.

I wouldn't have the patience for the second half of the game anymore but those first few levels are still great fun. Thanks for the great write-up OP!

JSmithDTV likes this.
  6. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

mAJORD and Trizae like this.
  7. Vanne

Vanne Member

i just re-purchased this on Steam, runs perfectly, no input required. Even has ultra wide support.. though it feels to me like it’s running too fast, it’s a little squeezy when looking around, as it redraws so damn fast.. anyone have any fix for that?

I’ve got a big box copy of this somewhere in Sydney, but yeah it’s was cheap enough at 70% off. Thanks for the link.

Trizae and mAJORD like this.
  8. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Think I still have it somewhere.
    Was an awesome game having a LAN with mates and a few beverages, yelling abuse to each other when getting a kill/being killed.

9. Vanne

Vanne Member

I think i bought a ATi 9700 pro for this game way back then...

Holdenkicks likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    mAJORD

mAJORD Member

So true.. it's quite clever the way it teases you like that a bit , eases you into the world. I don't really remember if the later part was much of a grind or not tbh

I think I had a quick go at online MP , which wasn't much chop, but mainly from lack of players IIRC. LAN would be different story

11. power

power Member

I still like to play this at LAN's, there are some good custom maps and it's always a hit, pure simple deathmatch.

I reasonably recently got interested in the console games that came out at the same time but haven't replayed the campaign since playing it back in the day on my GF4 Ti4200 :)

mAJORD likes this.
  12. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Mine came with a vid card, GF4 probably.

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I'm having some issues getting this working with the gog version on win 11 :(

god I hate windows these days ...

14. OP
    OP
    mAJORD

mAJORD Member

bugger, what's your symptoms?

15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I think it's all video driver related. I can hear the audio when it starts, but just black screen, or the splash screen and it never gets to the menu.
    requires a full blown hard shutdown, can't even get task manager in the screen.

16. OP
    OP
    mAJORD

mAJORD Member

hmm I was getting the frozen splash screen, and no system response until I tried the r_shadersPrecache fix in the OP , if you've done that, i'm not sure.. other than checking it applied I guess :S

might try it on the win11 laptop

MUTMAN likes this.
  17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

+1 facepalm for not reading ....
    will try the fix tomorrow :thumbup:

mAJORD likes this.
  18. chook

chook Member

I think it's worth noting that at release there was a special 64-bit version you could get as well if you already owned the game and if you had the super unstable 64-bit version of XP Pro then you could run the game in native 64-bit mode on your highly advanced new-fangled 64-bit processor. This was kind of a big deal at the time.

Vanne, MUTMAN and mAJORD like this.
  19. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Heh, friendly reminder to manually set taskmanager to "always on top" (before you need it! :p)
    Same issue here with steam version + win11, initially stuck on black screen/splash screen, killed it with task manager, applied the config change from OP and back in business.
    Widescreen fix seems to do the do as well. FOV looks perfect at 4K now, was super zoomed in without it.

Not sure I ever finished this. Was way above my PCs specs at the time. Did get into the weird xbox port that came later though. Will try to give it some time over the next couple of weeks. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Trizae, Vanne, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.
  20. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

you can also win+tab and move the task manager window to a new desktop space

MUTMAN likes this.