Retro Let's Play: "OutRun" (1986-2019)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Jan 14, 2019.

1. power

power Member

With the Switch Sega Ages version coming out just a couple of days ago when elvis asked me to make this it didn't take me long to get some inspiration for a classic that I'm sure many have played over the years and if you haven't there's always time for a quick go, for those who didn't see this in arcades in the late 80's and early 90's it was a sight to behold and as someone who has always found racing/driving games fun the cabinet for this just leapt out at me with it's massive hydraulic setup, force feedback wheel and racing seat taking pride of place in any arcade at the time.

To find out what this is and why we're doing it, click here.

Jump in your drop top Ferrari (or unlicensed red convertible depending on version) and drive across beautiful scenery while chilling to Magical Sound Shower against the clock and Ai cars - that's it, this is a game to relax or try to beat your high score and unlock one of the 5 different endings, almost no race is the same guaranteeing just one more go gameplay like all the greats in the arcade. While not the first it was one of the first "Super Scaler" games to get released by Sega's AM2 helmed by Yu Suzuki that allowed them to dominate the arcade scene at least when it game to things like flying and driving deluxe cabinets before full 3D poly games came onto the scene.

The soundtrack is half the experience and I know I've been guilty of just chilling out to Magical Sound Shower in the Shenmue arcade more than once when I really should be looking for sailors.

https://www.giantbomb.com/super-scaler/3015-8389/

Playing the game.

As mentioned in elvis' Shinobi III thread Sega do a stellar job of bringing their games to new systems and Out Run is no exception.

Originally released into the arcades in '86 it's seen ports to almost every system known to man. But let's say you don't have the coin to buy a deluxe cabinet and turn it into a real car you are well served.

*Nintendo Switch - this month via Sega Ages on the eshop - this is a port of the stunning 3DS version and includes cabinets, filters, modes, new difficulties, track remixes like having the japanese or intl track order, new music that just slots right in, upgrades and just so much more.
    *Nintendo 3DS - Do you own a 3DS? Buy this. I can't over state how good a 60fps stereoscopic 3D version of this is. The pick up and play nature of the 3DS means this is always there ready for a quick run.
    *PS4 - it's in Yakuza 0's arcade.
    XBox One - you'll have to "settle" for OutRun 2 SP (also known as OutRun 2006 Coast to Coast) on 360 back compat this is a fantastic game which keeps the speed up to 11 by turning it into a bit of a drifting game - it actually works really well - this game is available on a few platforms too. Also available in Shenmue II arcade via the Shenmue 1&II remaster!
    *Saturn - Sega Ages release, very faithful to the arcade easy to grab from the Internet Archive.
    *Dreamcast - buy Shenmue II and find it in the arcade.
    *Original X Box - as above.
    *PS2 - an interesting conversion as it's full proper 3D part of the Sega Classics Collection, it's Part 1.
    *Master System - by all reports faithful and one of the consoles best.
    *Mega Drive - of course it was here and it was faithful.
    *Game Gear - the first portable to get the game.
    *numerous other versions including where I first played it, the Atari ST.
    *the sequels!! Most of them are worth playing.

More Info.

https://outrun86.wordpress.com/
    https://segaretro.org/OutRun
    https://medium.com/@gwobcke/outrun-a-1986-arcade-game-by-am2-sega-a2485a709cf7
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_Run

Cabinets.

I was going to do cover art but it would be silly not to behold the deluxe cab instead.

upload_2019-1-14_8-31-31.png

Not everyone got the deluxe cab and there are two others that included a wheel.

Standard (no hydraulics) this was pretty common as the hydraulic cab was pretty expensive.

upload_2019-1-14_8-39-13.png

Stand Up (at least it has a wheel and accelerator pedal)

upload_2019-1-14_8-39-52.png

there are some other variations but these were the main ones.

it's been covered on most of the good YT channels and you can get your fix below.

If you do get involved post your version and time/score.

Game Sack

Nostalgia Nerd

quick look at the Switch version.

some guy playing the deluxe cab

obligatory longplay

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    fredhoon, JSmithDTV, MUTMAN and 2 others like this.
  2. Phido

Phido Member

I loved this game on the C64. While the graphics weren't great the C64 always made up for it with charming music.

C64 v Amstrad v Atari ST v Amiga - Most people find the blocky C64 version the most fun.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Phido and power like this.
  4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Dear me, I pumped some gold coins into the deluxe cab at the arcade on Albert St (name is drawing a blank, the one closest to HJ's)
    I was never very good at this, but boy I loved that musical sound shower and cruising flat out.
    One of my personal top 3 arcade machines, and certainly still top 5 if pinball's are included.
    The speakers in the head rest and the slamming hydraulics ...15 year old me fell in love with this cab that year

What a blast :thumbup:

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Is there a working example in Bris ? 1up's cab is "Out of Order" :(

upload_2019-1-14_19-40-52.png

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

damn good point MUTMAN it's years since i've seen an OutRun in the wild.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Sweet, I was about to go to bed. But instead now I'm firing up the old driving PC and installing Outrun 2006 to give it a go.

8. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I think I've only ever played the stand-up cab version. Would not recommend.

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I've never even seen the standup in the flesh - the first one i played was the deluxe (grundy's or dreamworld can't remember where) and the standard was everywhere. it does seem awkward, reminds me of the standup Crazy Taxi cab (there's one of those at Netherworld in Brisbane if anyone wants to try that.

I've been playing the 3DS version of this game over the last week or so since i discovered it existed, it's really amazing how fresh it feels with the stereoscopic 3D.

elvis likes this.
  10. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Thinking back, the one I played might have been a bootleg cabinet - I distinctly remember it having no centering spring for the steering, which made it feel truly awful.

11. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

I had a quick blast last night in outrun 2006 on my "driving cab" with a logitech driving force GT.

As usual, spent more time getting the controls set up rather than actually playing it. Force feedback wasnt working (does it even exist in this game?)
    Quite amusing the whole driving your girlfriend around thing. She seems super supportive of my extremely dangerous and life threatening driving techniques... much like in real life.
    Also the random dudes waiting at the finish line I can only imagine are pics of the developers or something.

Click to view full size!

Its mostly upright, but I have some bar stool type chairs that work well with it. Actually with the driving position its pretty well suited to Euro Truck Simulator. Just needs a giant wheel :)

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

haha, well that's one use for an old comms rack

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

OK so i had to search and bring some long retired brain cells back into service. It definately had a centring spring or mechanism of some kind.
    I distinctly remember being cut that the wrong song was played as i had let go of the wheel before fully selecting (probably shower) whatever it was i wanted. My friend was laughing hard. I was cut.
    Still, I'd go further than him in the game :)

As for forcefeedback, no brain cells can remember that. So I'm going with a no. But the deluxe cab had the slamming hydraulics and the fake 3d perspective going up and down. That was kickarse!!

jimbogimp likes this.
  14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

A deluxe Outrun and a TAF pinball are right up on my "if i win lotto" list....
    Probably more important than the house they'll be in :)

15. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

I think you're right.
    I was playing the game maybe 12 months ago and thought it had FFB of some kind. But maybe it never did :)

16. breech

breech Member

This game blew me away when it hit the arcades and was the first moving+force feedback cab I played. The sound chip is a plain old YM2151, but the tricks used for SFX make it sound amazing, and of course the music was great, all perfectly mixed from the headrest speakers completely absorbing you. Graphics were crispy and used a nice palette and the breezy ocean intro/outro was the best attract mode I can remember.

Then theres this :shock:

17. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

hmmm what came first?
    Sonic all stars racing or that thing above? :)

upload_2019-1-20_10-2-55.png

18. Camm

Camm Member

19. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

So has anyone else been playing it?
    I find these style games quite hard compared to sim racers & better know where the car is going to go. It could of course be bad settings...

Man the arcade version is super punishing. Turns that seemingly come out of nowhere and you end up on the other side of the road rear ending a truck. The cautious approach results in running out of time. The no brakes method results in a long rest when you crash.

Only made it to the last section once and have been unable to obtain a goal :(
    I'm glad I'm not paying arcade prices for credits!
    I got side tracked anyway and spent more time with some alternatives such as Sega Rally + ridge racer.

MUTMAN likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i've been playing my 3DS version (I ended up buying the Switch port but man I miss the 3D so went back to it), and yes now I remember how tough it was to reach the goal. I remember as a young-un just how chuffed I was to make it to the end of the course. I think I probably played more Super Hang-On and Powerdrift than OutRun but yeah loved them all.

The no brakes method is ok, but i prefer manual gears.

I know this had some Cannon Ball run DNA but honestly I always thought "Great American Cross Country Road Race" had that nailed before OutRun.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    MUTMAN likes this.