1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Lets Play (Sep 2021) - Espgaluda

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by nimmers, Aug 31, 2021.

1. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Great game! I'll admit, it's not my first choice to play, but the more and more I play it, the more and more I'm enjoying it. Apparently #2 is better which I've played a couple of times on the 360 but it's coming on the switch next week.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Slowdown is intentional.

It used to be a by-product of these shooter games having too many sprits on screen, and slowing down in the busy places. As time went on and CPUs got faster, the slowdown went away, but game testers found the very busy sections almost impossible to play.

Cave (and many other devs) actually intentionally add the slowdown in during busy areas to make the gameplay "more fair". It's 100% a design choice, and not a slowdown of either the game engine nor the emulation.

I think, like Mushihime Sama, the sequel of Espgaluda is much more... everything. More difficult, more stuff, more complex scoring, etc.

Both Espgaluda and Mushihime Sama as first titles in their series (I'm intentionally ignoring ESP RaDe as it's kind of related but kind of not) are much easier, and much more beginner-friendly.

I definitely recommend people stick with Espgaluda for the month. Afterwards I'll recommend a few more "gateway drug" shmups in the generic shmup thread, but I think sticking with this for a whole month is a much better way to appreciate the game, and really learn what it has to offer. Shmups seem shallow at first, but if you spend enough time with them, you see there's so much more on offer.

mR_CaESaR likes this.
  3. power

power Member

i love slowdown in shooters, it makes it feel like part of some epic struggle (one that i mostly lose, but you get what i mean!).

Vanne and elvis like this.
  4. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

The slowdown in Futari (360 port only is what I've played) is pretty epic as there's heaps of bullets and the slowdown makes it possible to evade the bullets - but I'm only talking about stage 2 slowdowns :D :D

5. elvis

Watch a longplay and check out the final boss. :lol:

6. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

HAHAHA yeah I've seen these games in "maniac" mode :D :D

elvis likes this.
  7. elvis

Planning on doing a video guide tomorrow on getting this working in MAME.

Will cover downloading all the bits you need from scratch, configuring controls and screen, and vsync/gsync/freesync options to reduce lag and tearing.

Might do a separate video on the PS2 version as well, as it has some interesting video options.

If anyone has specific questions, ask here and I'll include them in the guides.

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i just grabbed 0.235 last night
    and a fresh copy of espgal and two other versions of the rom. ill check what they are later tonight.
    two played OK, one compmained if a missing file something something U4 ??
    again, I'll check tonight

9. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

I always thought arcade games and especially shooters incredibly boring, repetitive and creatively bankrupt, because they reused sprites and ideas so much.

Endless beatemups and shmumps made me either rage or yawn out of boredom when I browsed through endless mame roms. If you weren’t challenging yourself they felt tedious to play and the challenge often provided no payoff.

Now with the advent of the internet it was uncovered to me that there are actually real gems out there and some shooters and beatemups genres have deep and rewarding mechanics. Looking forward to try this out.

Don’t think I ever finished any of these types of games. There was just something off-putting to me in the fact that you either need to go through insane tedium of memorising everything or dump quarters by the bucketload to reduce challenge.

These days my style of play changed a bit and I find myself interested in good challenge more and more.

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

at the risk of being banned, or just shunned, i cant understand the endless streetfighter/mortal kombat/double dragon/king of fighters
    id rather pull my teeth out than play those
    i much prefer puzzle mechanics, yet oddly love the earlier bullet hell games

11. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

I hope to one day 1cc a cave shmup. The best I can do at the moment is stage 3 on most games.

I can't speak for the other games, but for the af series, each interation pretty much introduced new characters/mechanics

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. elvis

Like any games of great technical depth, they take time.

Pre-internet/job/kids, I had plenty of that time, and got very good at them, which also makes them fun. Today, that would be impossible. I've booted Street Fighter V up twice ever, and played zero of the modern Guilty Gear games.

I'd happily teach anyone old school Street Fighter. I think once you get past that initial wall of difficulty, and work out how to stop being a button masher, the appeal opens up. But again, it takes time to get past that, which we're all very short of.

MUTMAN likes this.
  13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

but, but, but .... yer thats me :lol:

elvis likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    nimmers

nimmers Member

I think the older I get the more I appreciate tough arcade games. Wish I could go back in time to before a busy job and parental duties and get back all the time I spent on the treadmill of modern games. Grinding XP and loot on treadmills that are designed to never end.

I feel like playing 45mins on average a day of arcade games for the past few years I've achieved way more than I ever did in my gaming when I had an abundance of time.

Some Cave games give you the first stage or two for free too which is good when you're starting out but after you play the first stage for the 100th time I can also see why people love games like Ketsui that take no prisoners right from the first screen.

15. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Gave it a good credit feed

[​IMG]

That final boss was definitely something! Each time you bomb, it gets health back?

I think I did about 20 credits on this one?

[​IMG]

pwlm1975, elvis and nimmers like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    nimmers

nimmers Member

I got a couple of good tips to pass on:

There's a hidden 1UP on stage 3 just before the boss, you get it by shooting the gem here just before the third boss while in Kakusei mode:
    upload_2021-9-4_17-54-51.png

Play from the P2 side (only matters on the arcade version) there's a midboss on stage 3 that shoots a tonne of bullets from little spinning cogs that give you a lot of easy points while in Kakusei mode.

You get an extend at 4M and 14M, doing this trick to get a couple more million points will get you to the 14M one later on. 3 lives to start, the hidden 1UP and these give you 6 lives to beat the game with.

17. elvis

OK sorry this took so long. Dad's day on today which ate up a bit of time (happy Dad's day to anyone who is a dad or plays said role!), and the video took bloody forever to process.

Here's all the gory deets you need to get this up and running in Windows (watch on YouTube to get all the links and bookmarks in the description):

And a couple of months back I did a video for Ghouls and Ghosts where I covered BGFX CRT shaders, so if you want to do that bit here too, please check out that guide:

Anyone interested in the PlayStation 2 version at all?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    power, Trizae, nimmers and 4 others like this.
  18. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

That's great Elvis

elvis likes this.
  19. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Insane! So much colour and movement, and the music is driving and brilliant.

nimmers and elvis like this.
  20. elvis

Interview with someone who composed most of the music, and did a bit of the development too:

http://shmuplations.com/espgaluda/

I listen to the soundtrack to this and a couple of other Cave games at work on occasion. Really enjoy that 90s/00s manic electronica.

pwlm1975 likes this.