Retro Let's Play: "Shadow of the Colossus" aka "Wander and the Colossus" (2005)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Feb 2, 2019.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Retro Let's Play for early February 2018:

Shadow of the Colossus

Originally developed by Team Ico and Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, and published by Sony Computer Entertainment for the PlayStation 2 in 2005. Its original Japanese title was "Wander and the Colossus". At time of writing, this game is currently ranked second in HG101's Top 47,858 games of all time.

To find out what this is and why we're doing it, click here.

Team Ico was named after it's first major project, also on PS2, named Ico. Led by video game auteur Fumito Ueda, Ico featured a highly stylised look and feel using then new bloom effects to project the emotion and feeling of the two main characters, and avoided language in an attempt to convey the connection the characters shared.

Ico was seen as an artistic success, and Team Ico moved on to their next project Shadow of the Colossus.

The game introduces us to a young man named Wander, carrying with him a an ancient sword he stole. He rides his horse, Agro, across a bridge into the forbidden land, with the body of the maiden Mono. Led to a shrine, Wander eventually meets the spirit Dormin who informs him that in order to revive Mono, he "must pay a great price", and defeat 16 idols known as the colossi.

You play Wander, whose entire job is to take on enormous and varied creatures. Each colossus you fights is huge - often the equivalent of multi-story buildings. Some of them walking, some flying, some tunnelling underground. Each has several weak spots, and Wander must arduously climb the beings to attack each of these and bring them down.

Unlike many games, this task feels wrong. Each death you cause grinds on your conscious, despite Dormin's words urging you to continue on your task. Each colossus is both a level and a boss in one, making the game feel almost like a boss rush. The presentation uses Team Ico's signature desaturated colours, bloom lighting and motion blur, as well as incredible sound track and character interactions of both friend and foe to convey the emotion intended.

After this game, Team Ico would go on to create their final (and IMHO equally as amazing) game, "The Last Guardian" (technically being disbanded before completion, with the game being thankfully rescued by genDESIGN).

Playing the game

Initially released on PS2, the game saw HD re-releases on PS3, and a remaster with updated graphics on PS4.

* PS3 stand alone game: https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP9000-NPEA00280_00-SOTC000000000001

* PS3 bundle with Ico: https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP9000-NPEA00279_00-ICOSHADOWBUND001

* PS4: https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP9000-CUSA08809_00-SOTC0000000000EU

For PS2 emulation options, see our PS2 FAQ thread: https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/retro-faq-sony-playstation-2.1251162/

Box art:

NTSC-US left, AU PAL middle, JP-NTSC right. Click for larger.

52946-shadow-of-the-colossus-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg 58110-shadow-of-the-colossus-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg 214679-shadow-of-the-colossus-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

PS2 original long play:

PS4 remaster long play:

2. Camm

Camm Member

It should be noted, the PS2 and PS4 4K versions framerate absolutely sucks.

Do try and play either the PS3 remaster or the PS4 version in performance mode.

elvis likes this.
  3. power

power Member

I finally finished this when the PS4 remaster came out, you really want that version it's drop dead gorgeous and avoids the 6th and 7th gen bloom that was present on the earlier versions (I also have the PS3 version). This was the third Team Ico game I played having played Ico and The Last Guardian first and they really have a unique style.

There really is something amazing and captivating about this game that you can't get without finishing it, the music, the silence, the sadness and simple yet powerful story all come together to make something truly unique.

Very appropriate to link the DF analysis in this thread. They have a ton of videos if you are interested in everything SoTC too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalFoundry/search?query=shadow+of+the+colossus

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Vanne and elvis like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm following the HG101 podcasts, but haven't made it to SotC yet. The fact that they ranked it above all the Mario games is pretty amazing for a US podcast.

I only ever played the first colossus when this came out, as I was pretty time poor (working my first job, 80+ hours a week). Very keen to try to finish it.

5. Vanne

Vanne Member

I've been playing this for the last 5 years, on and off, and it's the second game I got just recently again on my PS2. Amazing, just frikking amazing and well deserved to be in standings above the Mario plumbers brothers..

I remember when it was first released on PS2 and was judged as an artwork rather than a game... That alone says enough.

elvis likes this.
  6. power

power Member

So can we have spoiler discussion for those who have completed it?

I don't want to spoil the game for anyone who hasn't finished it so spoiler tags would be mandatory.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

Maybe spoiler tags might be a good idea. Normally for retro games I say the game is old enough, but this one might have been missed by the OCAU crowd, is recent-ish (second gen 3D and all) and it's still getting modern re-releases.

8. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I fired up the PS2 version through the retrotink2X knowing well that the frame rate would be rough and I'm better off playing PSN version on my PS3 for actual gameplay. The intro still has such allure.

Vanne likes this.
  9. oculi

oculi Member

Saw this mentioned many times on the forum with a 4 leaf clover for a logo along with artwork of a few of the collossi (the one with the cantilever arm mostly)

I played the PS3 remaster I think.

Fantastic game, the sense of scale and bleakness is conveyed pretty convincingly, it would be great in proper hidef or VR. I'll lose some Elvis points for looking up the walkthrough a few times but I really enjoyed it.

dunno if the ending needs spoiler tags, the bit when you turn into a baby?

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Haha nah, we're all busy and short on time. Sometimes you just have to get on with things to squeeze it all in. :)

11. power

power Member

I wanted to discuss what peoples thoughts are the further you get into the game.

For me it got to a point that I felt bad about killing the Colossi knowing that the protagonist has been manipulated, i didn't look into the story before playing and yeah you kind of start feeling guilty about it.

The sadness of the music when then each Colossus goes down makes more sense with each fight.

elvis likes this.