1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Let's Play: Shinobi (Sega 1987)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by JSmithDTV, Dec 1, 2020.

1. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

Shinobi is my jam! I'll have to load it up.

If you finish the game normally you typically end up with around 300,000 points. Using the no-shooting 20,000pt bonus technique that JSmith mentioned, I've gone over 600,000. I never felt like I really mastered it though. http://replay.marpirc.net/r/shinobi reports a high score of 774,920 but imo anything without a video of the player's hands is suspect.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  2. hotsuma

hotsuma Member

shinobi on the master system was one of those games i played the shit out of when i was a kid very fun game , i particularly liked the mini games when you threw stars between stages

i recall there was a level later in the game with statues on top of each other that spun when you hit them and it took a bunch of hits to destroy that for some reason was particularly hard on the master system , i have played it on emulator and had no issue but i dont think i could pass that as a kid,

my actual favourite shinobi game was the ps2 "hotsuma" which really made you feel like a badass ninja back in the day, if anyone has a setup where they can play hotsuma with a controller the gameplay felt really good

gameplay at like 5:20

great series which which is no surprise by my name on here lol

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  3. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

I left it running on the MAME cabinet and later on my sister said "I pressed a button and ninjas went flying everywhere!" :lol:

Played a game through and took two credits to reach the end boss, who destroyed me. I am so rusty. :sick:

JSmithDTV likes this.
  4. nimmers

nimmers Member

This guy is pretty legit I'd say:

Dude is a freak at R-Type too

elvis, JSmithDTV and MUTMAN like this.
  5. Grant

Grant Member

I loved this on the SMS - rented it a couple of times but never owned it, and never got too far in it.

Saw it on the Astro City Mini, so gave it a bash this morning. Fed it over a dozen virtual credits to get past level 1, but the feeling of getting better at it is definitely satisfying. I totally would have spent more time and money at arcades if I could have put down $30 as an individual (not a birthday party) and had half an hour of free play. Maybe that was an option at some places, but I was always put off at how punishingly they took my $1 coin so quickly, and this was the 90s so I had a console at home.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

A rather most excellent core on MiSTer now for this classic.
    I blew through Ken Ho on my first credit, but man, that boss in Black Turtle kicked my arse. Another four (maybe five) credits and smashed me :D
    Still a lot of fun to be had in this game :thumbup:

7. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Had this on the master system... played from start to end plenty of times...

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i dont know if i ever got past the spinning heads more than once ???
    they were hard

9. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

No just jump shoot as fast as you can.. with the explosive projectiles... I played this so much I can still remember lots of it 30 years on lol

So much nostalgia... I remember finishing mario 2 and 3 on the nes start to end without using portals lol .... in those days there was no saving .. u had to sit there and play

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    MUTMAN likes this.
  10. Current

Current Member

had this game when i was a kid. :)

never got to finish it.

I have a master system here in a box somewhere, need to open it up and give it a crack gain some time :)

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I wish you hadn't told me this ... Now I'm going to have to play this game all over again :)

12. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

I'm pretty sure that if you jump shoot.. it's faster than just standing there shooting... lol... I also remember in the last stage there's a really hard jump ... but I found a reliable way to make it every time... you have to creep over the ledge as far as you can then jump lol...

MUTMAN likes this.