1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Let's Play: "Sonic 3 & Knuckles" (1994)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Tell me about it. Sometimes he's a nice little bullet-sponge for the bosses, or racks up some free hits for you. And sometimes he's just a complete idiot and ruins everything.

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

3. Grant

Grant Member

Just finished this! Only got a handful of Chaos Emeralds though. The final boss is pretty easy once you know the pattern (though I used tails to double-hit it, with only that second hit doing damage), but it took me way too many lives to actually get it. I powered the game off a couple of times while trying, so I had to do the final zone a couple of times, and noticed it was way easier after the first go. Definitely puts my earlier frustrations with the game in a different light.

There's a New Game Plus feature in this game that lets you go back to any zone after finishing the game to get the blue spheres bonus stages for each one (I assume that's the case anyway?), but I think even if I go back and do that I'll be using at least zone/bonus round maps from the Internet to help.

elvis likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    elvis

I was wondering to myself the other day, what was the earliest game to offer "new game plus" style features? I didn't know Sonic 3 offered it. That's neat.

5. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

You also don’t get to the doomsday zone, and “final” final boss without getting all the emeralds. Compared to sonic 2 where getting 7 emeralds just gives you super sonic. In S3&K you need to get 14 emeralds for the best ending.

elvis likes this.