Retro Let's Play: "Street Fighter II" series (1991-1994)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jun 2, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I was under the impression that in WW it's anyone. Definitely happens with Guile, Ken and Ryu.

CE removed it, although there might be leftovers.

2. nimmers

nimmers Member

wd
    I'll have to do some science. The version I did my high score on is dated 91-05-22 and it's the last revision before SF2:CE. The damage on my one isn't as ridiculous as some versions I recall seeing.

3. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Okay, just put a deflating hour and a half into it. I've got a long way to go. Starting to respect the effort this game demands.

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yessir, this ain't no button masher. There's quite a lot of depth to these titles. Really what sets them apart from many other fighting games.

5. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

At a competitive level, this game is so much more fun! Many many hours of muscle memory is spent mastering combos and basic moves.

Frame data is taken into account so you know exactly what to punish a particular move, but that's the beauty of this game. We are all human so there's so many different variables.

nimmers and elvis like this.
  6. Rass

Rass Member

Anyone remember that hacked arcade version which gave characters odd moves like Zangief's double lariat in the air or giving Vega hadoken balls when he did the rolling crystal flash?

7. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Rainbow edition!! :)

There were a few variants of those..

I actually played one variant the other day, I couldn't win a match. It was so broken it wasn't funny.

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

I hinted at this in the OP:
    "Rainbow Edition" was definitely the most popular of these pirate hacks. I actually came across one in the wild just a couple of months ago in a random pub. Most of these hacks (including Rainbow Edition) are in MAME if you want to muck around with them. Unsurprisingly they're terrible for any sort of long term enjoyment, but they are pretty hilarious to muck around with for a while

But this was precisely what SF2T:HF was designed to combat. With the extra speed and air-moves for some characters, plus Chun-Li's new fireball, it became a far improved version over Champion Edition, and ultimately what is my personal favourite version of the entire SF2 family.

Rass likes this.
  9. nimmers

nimmers Member

Oooooh! Controversial :D

I think Grand Master Challenge (not USA) is my favorite overall for the total package of multi and single player. Saying any Street Fighter 2 game is better than another is like saying a 10/10 game is better than a 9.5/10 for me though. Maybe only TNC was a step backwards in the series.

10. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Yeah Japan ST is my favourite of SF2.

I can't say I was a big fan of 3s at the time of release, but was a massive SFIV fan.. I spent many hours on that.. SFV - not so much, it's more casual.

After spending time witb SFIV, how realised how much of a masterpiece 3s was and found a complete appreciation of the game. I suck at it, but definitely realise how "great" it was.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

Heh. :)

I think CE had too many bugs to make it a truly "excellent" version. HF by comparison tweaked characters well enough to balance things out. That, and the speed was spot on, which it shared with ST (although I subjectively like the "simplicity" of HF better than ST, but will play ST often as it's more of a crowd favourite).

TNC slowed down the game by default, which annoyed me (and many others). You can speed it back up in the operator settings of the arcade version, but no operators did this.

ST just tweaked everything back to being better again, both speed and character move/balance wise. The four new characters had some play test time by then, and became useful. I agree with you that "Grand Master Challenge" was better than ST for single player mode. For head to head, the two were identical for me.

12. nimmers

nimmers Member

I never knew that! Ive got a TNC PCB here that I'm going to play for a score some day, I'll have to have a dig around in the settings. Making it faster would make the whole process more fun.

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

I literally only found that out this fortnight digging around in the settings on my MAME cabinet. I wish I knew about it eons ago.

The SNES version of TNC was better in that regard, where it at the same 4-star turbo settings that were present in SF2T:HF, and up to 10-star speed (crazy fast) setting with the standard "Capcom code". I put a lot of hours into the SNES version, and still have a fondness for it, despite the missing frames of animation.

14. shredder

shredder Member

The SNES version was the revered home version, in those years where home versions started coming out.

Which reminds me that the first official PC release (not the awesome Asian homebrew one) was, conversely, the worst!

Rass likes this.
  15. Rass

Rass Member

Are many of the SF2 comps streamed?

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

ST (aka "Super Turbo" aka "Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo") is really the only one that gets any air time at major tournaments. Sadly it was relegated from major tournament entry to "side tournament" at Evo (the biggest fighting game tournament in the west) a few years back now.

Still lots of old-ish stuff on YouTube though:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=evolution+super+turbo

Today, the new "Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection" has re-ignited a love for oldschool Street Fighter again. Worth poking around in that channel every now and then to see what's going on:
    https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

I purchased a bunch of Evo DVDs from years gone by. One day I'll rip them all and throw them up online.

Rass and nimmers like this.
  17. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

I would imagine with the 30th anniversary, more and more tournaments will be aired.

ST at high level is really really fun to watch - even though you have some broken AF characters in it :)

Rass and nimmers like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    elvis

My opinion of "broken AF" is MvC2. By comparison, most other Capcom games are really sane.

19. Rass

Rass Member

Thanks.
    I watched the 2014 Evo Top 8 on youtube. Personally I was surprised by the mix of characters being used - I assumed there would be a lot more Ken and Ryu spamming. Pretty amazing skills involved.

20. shredder

shredder Member

Dammit. Started watching a tourney and now I can't stop. :D (first world problems)

Rass and elvis like this.