Retro Let's Play: "Super Mario World" (1990)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Feb 15, 2019.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Retro Let's Play for late February 2019:

Super Mario World

Developed by Nintendo EAD and first published by Nintendo for the Super Famicom in 1990, and subsequently the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in 1991. The game is currently ranked number 24 in HG101's top 47,858 games of all time.

To find out what this is and why we're doing it, click here.

Super Mario World is the fourth canonical game in the "Super Mario Brothers" series, starting with the common "Super Mario Bros" on Famicom and NES, followed by a split in the series between the Japan-only "Super Mario Bros 2" (or what we called "The Lost Levels" in the west), and what Japan calls "Super Mario Bros USA", or the re-skinned version of Doki Doki Panic for the NES which we got as the second game. Finally the series rejoined in all regions with "Super Mario Bros 3" (which we played in Nov 2017).

The fourth game sees a departure from the classic NES hardware, and was released as a launch title with the new Super Famicom / Super NES hardware.

In true Super Mario fashion, the game served as both an excellent and defining 2D platformer, and also a way for Nintendo to subtly show off the power of their new console hardware. Featuring heaps of neat mode 7 tricks including scaling, rotation and transparencies, as well as creative use of the SNES's amazing sound hardware.

The game follows the famous Mario as, once again, Princess Toadstool is captured by the evil Bowser, and Mario must travel the lands fighting Bowser's children, finally facing him and rescuing the princess.

In addition to the usual gamut of enemies in a Mario game, this time Mario is joined by the green Dinosaur Yoshi. Initially hatching out of an egg, Mario can feed Yoshi until he grows large enough to ride on top of him like a trusty steed. Yoshi offers tougher feet that can walk on spikes, a long tongue that can be used to eat certain enemies and objects, and also an extra chance to clear a stage by not taking damage when hit, but rather jumping off Yoshi (requiring Mario to chase him if he wants to ride him again).

Like most Mario games, power ups are available at scale - the usual mushrooms that turn regular Mario into Super Mario, fire flowers that grant Mario the ability to throw fireballs, and a new feather that gives Mario a magical cape that not only grants flight, but changes the properties of numerous objects as well as being able to attack most enemies.

Super Mario World was received excellently by critics upon release, and debate still continues today as to whether or not this game, or it's prequel, were truly the best in the series. (My personal vote is on this one).

And like most Mario games, it's packed with secrets. There's a total of 96 exits to discover, and plenty of hidden areas and game-changing events. Finishing the game can be done in as few as around a dozen exits if you know the secret paths, but finishing the game is never the true challenge.

Playing the game

Firstly, READ THE MANUAL! Thankfully Nintendo host a high quality scan online to compliment their SNES Mini/Classic release:
    * https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/common/pdf/CLV-P-SAAAE.pdf

Officially released on the Super Famicom and Super Nintendo, there are a multitude of ways to play this console today. See our own OCAU threads on both the SNES and the MiSTer FPGA platforms for guides:
    * https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...o-entertainment-system-super-famicom.1251075/
    * https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...r-console-arcade-hardware-simulation.1253887/

Nintendo officially ported the game to their Gameboy Advance platform under the confusing title "Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2". It in turn can be played not only on original Gameboy Advance hardware, but also on the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DS Lite (not the DSi and onwards), as well as the Gameboy Advance Player attachment for Nintendo Gamecube.

Officially emulated versions of the game have been made available for the Wii and WiiU, and Nintendo's own SNES Classic / Mini console offers the game included in its library of 30 titles.

Box art:

79892-super-mario-world-snes-front-cover.jpg

Long play video:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    MrMaestro, WuZMoT and flain like this.
  2. flain

flain Member

This game was the first SNES game i ever saw, they had SNESs setup at KMart at my local shopping mall with this game playing and a huge line of kids playing the demo display. When i saw the graphics it blew me away :) It had that special nintendo "this is a flagship game" polish to everything.

This is also a game where input lag can be more noticeable than other games because there is some built in game lag that gets exaggerated when you add more on top via emulation or laggy TVs.

My second favorite mario game after SMB 3 :)

Also, human does the credit warp (no tool assisted crap here he uses a real SNES):

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

Easily my favourite Mario game of all time. I'd put it well above Super Mario Bros 3 (although I understand people rate SMB3 higher because of historical importance).

Question for everyone and anyone: who here has managed to get all 96 exits? I've done it a few times, kinda keen to try it again. But I'm not sure if my old man fingers can tackle that special star world again. That was tough.

4. flain

flain Member

I did all 96 on the original SNES but haven't done it since :). When i owned a SNES as a kid i only had 4-5 games and so with SMW i wanted that save game to say 100% :)

I really liked the world variety in SMB3 and the extra suits like the frog suit, hammer suit and the toki suit (even though toki was useless lol).

5. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Agreed. It's an excellent game - I play it through every now and then.

Only managed about half way through Special Zone on real hardware.

The Mini SNES makes it much easier with save states... :o

elvis likes this.
  6. Fitzi

Fitzi Member

Everytime I try to think of my favourite game of all time this is the first one thats comes to mind.

I never owned a SNES, but every time I try emulation on some piece of hardware this is the first (and sometimes the only) game I get working and actually play.

I finished SMB3 on my 13th birthday and I loved that game but there was (is) something magical about SMW that everytime I come back to it I get the warm and fuzzies like im coming home...weird I know but whatever :)

Flying back from Germany this friday night cant wait to get back home and hopefully have some time to sit down and again get reaquainted with this one :leet:

elvis likes this.
  7. power

power Member

this one is firmly in my pile of shame (for completion), I was an Amiga kid when this came out and I remember the universal acclaim it got in my fave gaming mag (C+VG) - I really wanted to give it a crack and somehow I've never gotten around to it. Even though I now have it on the SNES classic. In some ways I feel like I've played it simply because of all the titles that came after it that I played.

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

All Mario games equally share a bunch of characters and ideas, as well as introduce something entirely unique. This one is no exception, and makes the game worth playing even if you've played plenty before and after.

9. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I have a mate who has played this extensively on original hardware.
    As above if I've put retroarch on a new device/system for the first time if he's around I get him to try SMW on it as a reference point for performance/accuracy.

I only played a little at a mates place as a kid, I've played it on and off again for years via emulation now but never finished it.

10. bolex17

bolex17 Member

Oh man just saw this thread! One of my favourite games and one that I try to play and complete once a year.
    Getting all 96 exits is the fun part, need to try and aim for all dragon coins next time as well!

elvis likes this.
  11. MrMaestro

MrMaestro Member

I have a hard time choosing, so best I can say is that SMW might be my favourite game of all time. SNES was my first game console, and when I got it at age 7 my parents also got me SMW and Stunt Race FX. No surprises which was my favourite out of those two. SMW was my favourite game while I had that console (although Super Mario Kart stole that spot for a year or two).

As an aside I can remember the excitement of going down to the local Movieland and getting a weekly hire, some good (like Pilotwings, Donkey Kong Country) and some on the craptastic end (Full Throttle: All-American Racing...).

As a young kid I was pretty bad at SMW - I could never get past Vanilla Dome - but in Year 11 I bought a SNES off a mate (after I foolishly sold mine years before) and was then able to blitz through, finishing the game and all the Star World exits. Originally the pull factor was probably the nostalgia but since then I play it through at least once a year, so it has to be something more than that. I've tried to get into some SNES games that I missed out on as a kid like A Link to The Past and Super Metroid but it hasn't happened, I always get bored after the first hour of play and switch back to ol' faithful SMW. It's just so replayable.

WuZMoT, power and elvis like this.
  12. genxor

genxor Member

Maybe my favourite game ever. I still have the cart I bought as a kid which had 96 on all 3 slots. First time I did it took up pretty much all of my school holidays. I only found out about it after a cousin visited and showed me but I can't remember how he found it!

Getting the GBA version and being able to play it at work was pretty cool too

elvis likes this.
  13. dexster

dexster Member

this is one of the first game i 100% completed, ie got all 96 levels (not on all 3 slots but still)

still could not work out why when i got 96 it showed up in purple, where as other pictures online 96 shows up in gold with a star??

if i remember correctly i kept one of the slots at 94 or 95 to play the standard look smw, because when getting 96 the look changed??

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Spoiler ahead:

When you finish all ten exits in Star Road (regular and key/secret), all the Koopa Troopers switch from having shells on their heads to wearing Mario helmets. Most of the game's sprites change too, typically from green / springtime colours to orange/brown / autumn colours.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  15. OP
    OP
    elvis

A "pro tip" for anyone playing this who hasn't delved deep into the game before (some of which I talked about in the OP):

This game came from an era where games were bundled with manuals, and they contained a lot of useful information. Thankfully, Nintendo have the manual online for this game as it's included in their SNES Mini/Classic console:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/common/pdf/CLV-P-SAAAE.pdf

One great tip in the manual are how the levels are portrayed on the map. Levels with a yellow dot have a single "goal" or exit. Levels with a red dot have more than one (often 2, occasionally more).

If you want to find everything the game has to offer (which is worth it), you'll need to find all 96 exits, which means playing quite a few levels over a few times to find the hidden exits.