Retro Let's Play: "Tetris" (1984)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, May 1, 2018.

1. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I've still got my OG grey game boy including Tetris.
    Were the screens on these things always so difficult to see? maybe they deteriorate over time, or I'm going blind?
    I remember spending hours glued to my game boy as a callow youth but when I dug it out of my cupboard just now I could barely see a thing on the screen.

elvis likes this.
  2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Isn't there a contrast dial on the side somewhere?
    I'm heading to my Parents house tomorrow to see if they still have mine.

elvis likes this.
  3. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Yes there's a contrast dial but it doesn't seem to help much.
    I do remember having to hunch and angle the screen into the light so I could see it, but still... maybe 5yo me just didn't know any better and put up with it. Probably also explains why I look like quasimodo now.

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

[​IMG]

adz, MUTMAN, pwlm1975 and 1 other person like this.
  5. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

It was always a game of trying to angle it just right so you get maximum light and minimum reflection... now do that while attempting to hold an ill-fitting power adaptor on a too short cord plugged in behind your bed all so you don't waste the batteries :p

I wanted to use the Gameboy Advance SP for the backlight instead but quickly remembered just how cramped that little device is for human (or maybe just adult) sized hands.

What's really interesting is that that last sentence had me looking to see if there was an emulator that would run on any of the larger handheld consoles I have which led to two very interesting discoveries.

1. Backlight mods seem to be a pretty big thing. Lots of old Gameboys of all flavours with custom backlights. I never knew this was a thing, although at this stage I don't know if it's worth modifying an original unit at this point.

2. Gargoyles Quest seems to be available on 3DS Virtual Console (although we will have to see if it's actually available in Australia). A couple of bucks to not have to screw around to get something else working sounds really good right now, especially when it means I can use a 3DS XL that has a much nicer, bigger, brighter screen and a rechargeable battery!

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yup, lots of folks doing these. I'm tempted to get my original GBA done, however I've recently bought a GBA player for GameCube, and I'm finding that way better for me. My GameCube is modded, so I run GBI (plays GB and GBA), and I use my GameBoy Advance as a controller.
    http://retrorgb.com/gameboyinterface.html

[​IMG]

Middle ground if I want portable is a NDSLite with EZFlash IV cart that does GBA backward compatibility. (Not GB though).

[​IMG]

New3DS has a huge virtual console library, including lots of GB and even SNES now.

Hardware hacker "Woozle" is working on a HDMI out project for GBA. It allows you to play via a SNES controller too. All beta reports are it's amazing, and will be a fantastic option for modern "consolised" GB and GBA playing:
    https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56870

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  7. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

They sound like some interesting ideas there. I'm always amazed at what people mange to get some of the older tech to do. I do have an NDSLite as well as a DSi XL and 3DSXL (although not the new one) so could look into what options I have with those, although if I can buy Gargoyles Quest in the store for a few bucks that will likely keep me happy enough to not look much further.

While some people hate the idea of re-buying games over and over I do like the idea of official emulators / Virtual Consoles. I often think it's a shame they don't have access to (or the desire to offer) the full back catalogue of games for download. Of course, then they couldn't be selling the current range of mini consoles :p

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yeah, I'd love for Nintendo to have a "Steam" style service where games are purchased once and available forever. Even if that means being "locked" into Nintendo tech, that's still OK.

Even so, I've re-bought a number of games over the years for the convenience of playing them on newer hardware. At least that money is going to the developers/publishers first hand, which I'd rather do than send it to someone who just buys and resells games with no love for old tech on eBay.

9. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I borrowed your gameboy tetris photo to use as the thumbnail for a news post highlighting this thread on our news page and social media - hope that's OK! :)

10. strafe

strafe Member

elvis likes this.
  11. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

You're more than welcome!

elvis and Agg like this.
  12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Fired this up on an original Gameboy with the bivert/backlight mod. Good fun!

elvis likes this.
  13. samus

samus Member

Playing on the NDSL. I'm so so bad, I forgot how. I also don't remember how I could get such high scores!

Still, perfect roadtrip/commuting fun. Because I pulled out my NDSL, I had to charge Wife's, so she could play Animal Crossing, and pull all the weeds out of her garden, from 5 years ago.

I did mention there were weeds in our actual garden outside.

I didn't say much after that.

elvis, Agg and shredder like this.
  14. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Damn you all and this rabbit hole.

I've ended up here looking at the backlight mod... and if you've got it apart you might as well do the Bivert mod... maybe the glass screen too. It's only about AU$40 delivered for all the bits but it's also $40 on a device I don't know that I would get $40 of use out of :p ... of course I do like tinkering with stuff ;)

https://handheldlegend.com/collections/dmg

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

Tetris DS? That's my favourite "regular Tetris" port of all time.

I laughed IRL. :lol:

I recommend Aussie hardware hacker BennVenn for all your Gameboy needs:
    https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/BennVennElectronics/

samus likes this.
  16. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

$6 later and I’m 10 again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    DarthKegRaider and elvis like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    elvis

I wish Nintendo would get cracking on SwitchVC. Give me every first party Nintendo game on NES/GB/GBC/SNES/GBA/N64/GameCube please!

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

So I figured I'd look through my collection to see if I had this game, and I do!

And now a bigger problem presents itself: all of the consoles in this picture can play the cartridge natively. Which do I choose?

[​IMG]

[edit] but I kinda like this one better

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  19. Fitzi

Fitzi Member

The NES version is my favourite, I used to play this a fair bit after school and on weekends with a mate. My original NES is long gone so I fired it up in an emulator the other night, it really brought back the memories, still great fun :)

elvis likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    elvis

I wanted to try and play the actual original version of Tetris, which according to all sources, was developed for the Electronika 60:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronika_60

That appears to be a Russian clone of an LSI-11, which in turn is a PDP-11 with a bit of extra stuff. The Electronika 60 itself doesn't appear to be emulated specifically, but the PDP-11 certainly is.

This is about the closest I've seen to someone running the actual original Russian Tetris game on a PDP-11 emulator/simulator, with all the relevant fonts and additions needed for the programme:

https://tetrisconcept.net/threads/original-tetris-emulation.2130/

Would love to get this up and running on my laptop soon.