1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Let's Play: "Typing of the Dead" / "House of the Dead"

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Oct 1, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The giant battery is the icing on that cake. Genius.

I need to track down the PS2 version and get some screenshots.

2. power

power Member

I bet they would have leaked by now, haha

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    elvis

Screenshots pinched off YouTube. PS2 version is on archive.org, but sadly Japanese only, which I find a bit annoying for a typing game like this (Western characters, just Japanese words that are unfamiliar).

But they've got a mix of black and white fat model PS2s in there. No giant battery though. :lol:

Screenshot (124).png Screenshot (125).png Screenshot (126).png Screenshot (127).png Screenshot (123).png

Full playthrough:

Vanne, WuZMoT, MUTMAN and 2 others like this.
  4. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I think the different colour PS2's was much more of a thing in Japan so maybe that's why but it's kind of amusing that they went to the effort of having different colours on different characters.

I feel like there's a bit of a silly nod to the original ghost buster backpack concept as well.

5. power

power Member

shame the PS2 version isn't localised, was there also an official keyboard for the PS2?

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

Wikipedia says there was a specific keyboard released along side the game. It was connected via the PS2's USB 1.1 ports, so it would be worth testing if a standard PC104 USB keyboard would work too.

Remembering that PS2s also had an option to have a Linux development kit - came with an install CD that installed Linux to the optional fat PS2 hard disk, and a USB keyboard that also reportedly worked on PCs. So I reckon a standard keyboard would work on PS2.

I'll give it a go a bit later this week. I've got OPL2 on my fat model PS2 and SMB mounted games, so it's easy enough for me to test quickly.

[edit]

I'll also test PCSX2 emulation for lols.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    power likes this.
  7. Vanne

Vanne Member

ive been playing this a bit, i was initially pretty stoked to try this with my son, but the swearing in it makes it a no go for him.. sadly..

i do rather suck at it though, overkill is pretty good too..

typoing.png

I do wish there was a mode that took the swearing out of it, my kids would absolutely love this... its on Gamivo for 3 euros.

That said...

crap.gif

Pretty bloody halarious.. have you listened to the opening song/dialog? ... hahaha too funny... very nicely done indeed..

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  8. power

power Member

yeah Overkill is SUPER mature (not to mention divisive).

I think I posted this elsewhere and it is very much an acquired taste - or not, you must just not like it, but I must admit I thought a lot of it was funny and the game is playable but not amazing being a ps move or wii shooter.

Vanne likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Put me in the "I didn't like it" column for Overkill. My criticisms:

* Endless non-stop swearing felt tacked on and unnecessary, and I'm a pretty fucking sweary guy. But it meant I couldn't play it with the kids when I got it (could now that they're older)
    * Controls were not great. Didn't use the Sega custom WiiMote drivers of HOTD2&3, so it was laggy and required the on-screen cursor rather than "iron sights" of the WiiMote ("plastic sights"?)
    * So much shaky cam. A good on-rails shooter should move between scenes, and then have the camera still (or if moving, pan slowly) while you blast things. Overkill too frequently would have the camera whipping about like crazy while you had something aimed in your sights for no good reason, causing you to miss. Very frustrating.

And honestly, all of those points are a real shame because they could have been very easily fixed, and resulted in a substantially better game. The whole exploitation film genre was otherwise done well, and the voice acting was also well done (not excellent voice acting itself, but on theme with the style of the game and the era it was set in). Graphically it did well too, although the old Wii does struggle a bit with the engine (the PS3 version is fine, and sadly there's no PC version despite a typing version existing on the same engine).

I've not played HOTD4 for any great length of time (a few credits fed into the arcade version only), so that's one I'd like to explore at some point. Need to get myself some PSMove controllers one day. I've got 2x Guncon 3 controllers and the various Time Crisis PS3 games to match. They are excellent. I'm seeing some community-patched versions of PS1 and PS2 games coming out that have better Guncon 1 and 2 controls, so I hope someone manages to patch the various HOTD games on PS3 to work with Guncon 3.

Vanne likes this.
  10. power

power Member

I guess the main thing for me was that all that aside the people that made the game show a real love for the genre and went all out. I bought the game on PS3 right after I watched Gman's video linked above (mine even came with the 3D glasses :) and it also looks pretty good on a 3D TV too, these are 2 different modes btw). I haven't played the wii version but the PS3 version feels a lot like Dead Space Extraction, not great, but tolerable.

elvis and Vanne like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    elvis

I've got my Wii Overkill "Bang Bang Box" set sitting on the ol' "YouTuber Wall of Wank", along with a few other lightgun faves. The box set came with two "hand cannons", which were some chunky plastic covers to turn your WiiMote into a gun. Sadly the button config for those isn't compatible with other games though (and not all of them have customisable inputs, which is silly).

I'll try and do a video up next week comparing a few Wii lightgun games and some tricks you can do to get the controls more accurate.

PXL_20211008_025040032.jpg

Trizae and power like this.
  12. Vanne

Vanne Member

That would be cool man, I know you’ve mentioned it before, there are other drivers out there to vastly improve the accuracy on Wii, though I’ve never done that, hopefully you can include how to go about that too. There are some really cool light gun games out there.. I believe there are also some mods to make the sensor bar much much better.. again, hopefully you’ll mention that and how to go about it.

13. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

power and I making our way through the versions. really nice weather outside, the curtains are drawn, lights are off and aircon is on.
    First up light guns on a trinitron with the xbox version of HOTD2

IMG_20211009_124832.jpg IMG_20211009_123332.jpg
    IMG_20211009_115050.jpg

Then keyboard wielding time.
    IMG_20211009_143317.jpg IMG_20211009_143333.jpg
    DC digital looking good:
    IMG_20211009_145237.jpg
    IMG_20211009_145112.jpg IMG_20211009_145136.jpg
    I got further in TOTD than I did in HOTD in one attempt!
    IMG_20211009_143732.jpg

power, elvis, Vanne and 1 other person like this.
  14. Vanne

Vanne Member

Dreamcast keyboard FTW! :D

15. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I would have loved to try my mechanical keyboard I'm familiar with (a brooks adapter allows this apparently) along with the typing posture/comfort of my desk but the game does purposely throw obscure words/phrases at you to throw you off guard.

Typing of the dead is something I've previously disregarded because it seemed silly to me because what could be better than a light gun but its a bloody satisfying change of pace.

elvis and Vanne like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    elvis

I laughed, because this is me too. :lol:

17. Grant

Grant Member

I never really played HotD in the arcade, though I liked Virtua Cop and Time Crisis. Got this going on my Saturn/CRT/Light gun, from my first few goes, things didn't go very well - didn't get past the first boss.

My Saturn's become flaky and seems to have temporarily died. I do have the Wii zapper with Link's Crossbow Training, so I'll give those versions a try. But this sent me into thinking about getting a SNAC setup for the MiSTer or a modern camera based light gun or something, until I saw this:

elvis and hutts24 like this.
  18. Grant

Grant Member

You mean HotD or M2 Emulator in general? I haven't tried HotD but Sega Rally works for me on Windows 10 (doesn't work at all from my attempts using Wine though).

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Unsure. I tried only HOTD and got missing DLL errors. Grabbed those from Microsoft's website, and it crashed.

I did hear today from a MAME developer that the Model 2 emulator is flaky due to era-specific hacks for old video cards. So potentially it's just my hardware, but that doesn't bode well as hardware progresses on and the project doesn't get updated.

20. Trizae

Trizae Member

Going to upload some of my scores tomorrow with TOTD Overkill question what are some lightgun alternatives that will work on my LG CX/PC I saw a vid on LinusTechTips talking about some of the new tech but very out of the loop but there are some i'd love to get back into game wise

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021