1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Let's Play: "Typing of the Dead" / "House of the Dead"

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Grant

Grant Member

There's some discussion in the light gun thread, TL;DR for PC the Sinden is a newer one that requires a border to be displayed by the monitor, the other popular one I think is the AimTrak which uses Wiimote-style infrared LEDs.

OLED displays do use some low-persistence scrolling to keep the duty cycle of the LEDs down, but it's nothing like a CRT so it's not like old CRT light guns would work (I so wish that one day someone would make an OLED controller board that emulates a CRT though).

Trizae likes this.
  2. Trizae

Trizae Member

Thanks for the info will suss out the light gun thread! But definitely want to grab either one of thesewhich ever works best for the CX

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

If the game you use can handle mouse input as your cursor point, AimTrak I think is the best option. It does require some calibration, however there's no other interference with your screen or game, and the game thinks you're using a standard mouse.

People like Sinden for the lack of calibration required, but I don't know the full details of how much of the border you need and how much that interferes with games. Everyone always talks about NES Duck Hunt, because that seems to be peak lightgun gaming for 30+ year old North Americans. But for me, lightgun gaming is far more than that, across dozens of platforms.

I'm still planning a video or something to show off some Wii tuning you can do. Will try and do that over the weekend maybe. Metroid Dread took all my spare time last week, and now I'm catching up on work stuff this week. :(

Trizae likes this.
  4. power

power Member

takes me back to when I used to play Operation Wolf on my Amiga, didn't have a gun of any sort and used the mouse. I was a kid, so it was fun :)

elvis likes this.
  5. Trizae

Trizae Member

Are you running an AimTrak by chance? I'm not familiar with the AimTrak but i'm going through the light gun thread reading about it either or works just a general light gun I'm pretty versed to get things in order how much do they retail for?

6. Haxman

Haxman Member

Typing of the Dead with the Dreamcast keyboard is so much fun. I love how guns are swapped with keyboards in all of the cutscenes. Still havn't beaten it though, couldn't beat the final boss :(.

7. Grant

Grant Member

Had a go of this yesterday and was impressed with the Wiimote light gun tracking - though with a crosshair by default it was much easier than HotD1 on Saturn without one.

The voice acting is cheesy, but I cracked up at "there was nothing we could do..."

elvis likes this.
  8. hutts24

hutts24 Member

Wow, that is really creative!

9. power

power Member

i tried HoTD last night on my Saturn with a controller, this is a surprisingly good way to play - also the performance was better than i expected.

elvis likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

I've been a bit slack this month, didn't put up the videos I wanted to put up. I'll come back to this thread when I've had more time to do the Wii lightgun calibration videos I wanted to share.

In the meantime, I just today discovered "Zombie Revenge", a action/shooter kind of game that's a spinoff from the "House of the Dead" series. Originally released for Sega Naomi in arcades, it got a home port to Dreamcast (almost identical hardware to the arcade, so it's arcade perfect). Looks like a hoot!

Shorter DC video:

Arcade Longplay:

power and Trizae like this.
  11. Trizae

Trizae Member

used to be at my local time zone and playtime and couple of arcades down here in melbourne growing up absolutely sick beat em up an evolution of dynamite dekka/die hard arcade with the House of the dead motif absolute riot!

elvis likes this.
  12. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Are there any light-gun games available on Steam/xbox/ea/uplay? Prefer something that I can just use a mouse with, though

13. Trizae

Trizae Member

From memory apart from in this thread with Typing of the dead overkill it has a traditional 'light gun' mode which you can use your mouse for off the top of my head Rambo & Galgun on Steam. Also steam has Retroarch officially so if you delve into emulation with mame, dolphin etc through retroarch you'll have plenty more that you can play in terms of arcade shooters from point blank to virtua cop that are compatible via mouse, put in tags of 'on rail shooters' on steam in your search and you'll find whats available to you.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    NanoDuke and MUTMAN like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm not sure about those services, but certainly MAME by default uses mouse input for all emulated light-gun games, and provides 2-player input for most games (blue icon for P1, red icon for P2, can use 2x USB mice connected to your PC if you want.

I can maybe knock up a video guide if you like?

This person is using an AimTrak gun, but it's literally emulating a mouse, and all of these games can be played with a mouse:

MUTMAN and NanoDuke like this.
  15. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Thanks gents. I'll see what I can find based on Trizae's post.

Trizae likes this.