Retro Let's Play: "Valkyrie Profile" (1999)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Apr 18, 2019.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Retro Let's Play for late April 2019:

Valkyrie Profile

Originally developed by Tri-Ace and published by Enix for the Sony Playstation for Japanese audiences in December 1999, and later for the US in August 2000.

To find out what this is, and why we're doing it, click here.

Made up of former Telenet employees (makers of games like Valis, Exile, Gaiares, Earnest Evans, and many others), Tri-Ace formed as a new company and kicked off with their Star Ocean series for SNES and Playstation. These titles featured JRPG elements, but with a slightly more action-focussed battle system than traditional (or even "active time") mechanics.

Valkyrie Profile was a new series for the company, and started off with what would ultimately be the best in the series according to fans (who were disappointed with sequels). The game borrows heavily from Norse Mythology, and follows Lenneth, the Valkyrie (fierce winged female warriors of Asgard) who is told by Odin ( that Ragnarok (the great battle that would end the time of the gods) is coming, and she must gather the souls of warriors to fight.

Throughout the game you take control of a huge array of characters, each with their own smaller stories that eventuate in their joining Lenneth. The stories and campaigns are enormous, and there's a lot of content there.

The battle system is very interesting. Most of the game is presented as a side-scrolling adventure (I felt it was similar to Odin's Sphere, which is also interestingly Norse Mythology related) where characters can walk, run and jump until they reach a battle. The battle sequence starts JRPG style, with sides taking turns to attack each other, however the attack mechanics share more with a simple beat 'em up than a JRPG, where timed button presses are used to combo attacks, build meter, and do interesting things from there. While the mechanics are simple, the timing of the attacks is more important than traditional turn based JRPGs.

One comment on the game is that the difficulty setting is mis-represented. While it offers "easy", "medium" and "hard", the true meanings are more along the lines of the campaign length. And there have been comments that "easy" misses out some campaigns, removing characters than can be useful in the larger story. As such, it's recommended to play on "normal". With that said, the game is apparently quite tough, regardless of level chosen.

Playing the game

The game was originally released on Sony PlayStation, but that version has never been re-released elsewhere, nor was it ever released officially in PAL territories. Archive.org host a copy for download (PM me for details) which can be played on either emulators or a modded PlayStation.

For help on playing PlayStation games, see our FAQ:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/retro-faq-sony-playstation.1252732/

The game was re-released as "Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth" on PlayStation Portable. This was also later ported to Android and iOS, although reviewers comment that the touch controls can be difficult due to the "timing" aspect of the battles mentioned above. I'm not sure if this can be played with a gamepad on mobile devices, but if so, that's recommended.

More information:
    * Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_Profile

Box art:

PlayStation US release:

196742-valkyrie-profile-playstation-front-cover.jpg

iOS art:

vi.jpg

Android art:

va.jpg

Long Play Video

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    WuZMoT likes this.
  2. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

ohnoes another JRPG elvis :p

though this one seems different with its platforming element.

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Haha yeah, I thought the same when it came up in the list. But I've had a bit of a bash at it, and it's quite different to regular "sqeenix" stuff.

Keen to have a solid go at it over the long weekend.

4. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I'm interested having known about it for a long time but never tried it.
    Octopath also came out on PC and has some very similar retro elements.

Decisions! I also still haven't finished FF6...