Retro Let's Play: Warhammer Dark Omen

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Vanne, Dec 29, 2020.

1. okclock123

okclock123 Member

Yeah. Tried it on my work 3900x thought it would be enough.

Don’t want to install it in w10 on my work computer to keep the environment clean, hence the pcem way. Could try vms and wine but I use docker/wsl so switching options in bios for an occasional game/experiment is a pain.

Waiting for some parts to finish my home ryzen 2600 rig, will play the game on it when it’s done.

Previously I used multiboot for work/home stuff, but it’s too fiddly, going kvm way, hope it doesnt untroduce too much latency for my sf2 training :).

MUTMAN and Vanne like this.
  2. power

power Member

was gonna try this out, unfortunately the setup.exe doesn't do anything for me it runs but doesn't do anything.

ah well.

Vanne likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

No worries , thx for trying. It is difficult when you can't link specific files that you need. Kinda like stumbling around in the dark...

All good though, no doubt it will be on GOG soon enough, horned rat is already on there, so I am sure this won't be far off.. March is there too, so only DO is omitted.

MUTMAN likes this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If it ever appears there, please bump the thread and let us know. The GoG team are great at making old games work on new OSes, and that might be a real boost for this particular title, which seems especially troublesome.

5. power

power Member

i had the UK ISO but the setup.exe does not run. Tried a few different things but yeah, no dice.

6. Grant

Grant Member

I'll have to put this one on the backlog (which has games older and newer than this on it), I do have a Windows 98 box with a Voodoo but wasn't able to get it out this month due to having my slightly older Socket 7 system hooked up. It's absolutely not the kind of game I usually play, which is why I want to give it a try - thanks for the recommendation :thumbup:

7. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I had the PS1 plomped in a corner, so gave this a shot, too complicated and with a high barrier to entry I decided I wasn't having fun and gave up.

8. simontifik

simontifik Member

Man those screenshots bring back memories. Pretty sure I tried playing a demo of this game back in the day. My PC could barely run it and it played like a slideshow!

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. elvis

There's a number of Win9x/Glide games I've come across in recent months that are really giving people grief. There's a very specific era of games in that early 3D acceleration world that are notoriously difficult to make work on modern systems. Fast forward to early Direct3D and OpenGL stuff, and WINE has you covered.

It got me wondering if anyone has tried putting virtual Voodoo hardware into an accelerated hypervisor like Qemu (rather than an unaccelerated, high accuracy virtualisation platform like MAME or PCem). Some quick googling led me here:

https://github.com/kjliew/qemu-3dfx

There's some whining about it on Vogons that it's all too hard, but it looks straight forward enough to me. I'll try to get a build up and running tomorrow, and post my findings.

Grant, okclock123 and Vanne like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

That's great mate, let us know how you go, if you need any help with anything, just wistle. ;)

11. elvis

Hahaha wow, I had no idea. This project is one hell of a mess.

I'll keep plugging away, but the criticisms are entirely valid. Random notes strewn through forums, build documentation that's just flat out wrong or missing. My god it's terrible. :lol:

[edit]

Built the Linux/QEmu side and that's booting Win98SE at least. Now to try and build the Windows drivers and see if it glues together.

Screenshot_20210128_193002.jpg

[edit2]

Crashed and burned. I think I got the driver install order wrong. Seems extremely fussy about accelerated modes with certain virtual hardware, and driver install order.

In the meantime, built qemu-3dfx for Windows, because I figure more people here would rather that. Have Win98SE booting clean again, so now on to trying to get 3dfx/Glide working.

[edit3]

I can't even seem to get Win98 installing on the Windows build. Gets as far as the mandatory disk check, goes to fire up the GUI and just silently dies. Got as far as a clean install on the Linux build, but the driver install for the video card caused a hard lockup on reboot.

I've got a weekend full of social shit to do (gross), but hopefully Sunday evening I can put some more time into this and get it working. Outside of this individual game (which I still want to play), there's a number of other Win98+3dfx games both here on OCAU and in other places that I really, really want to help people get working. It's such a critical time in PC gaming history that just flat out does not work on a host of other tools like DOSBox, PCem, WINE or VMWare/Virtualbox which all concentrates on technology or CPU speeds either well before or well after that very small window of time.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  12. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Okiedokies, I hear you guys. Hopefully we can revisit this game when it comes out on GOG. It really is a darn good game. The difficulty can be rather high though, that is ofcourse not adjustable..lol.

Not sure Morgen would approve, but there it is ;)

You can also ping me to help you get it installed ofcourse..

Cheers and thanks for trying everyone :thumbup::Pirate:

MUTMAN and okclock123 like this.
  13. elvis

Final post to say I'm giving up on the qemu+3dfx build. I'm a 20 year Linux and enterprise virtualization veteran who spends almost all of his free time preserving old games and making them playable for people, and that project is completely inaccessible to anyone but the developers. It needs another year in the oven before regular people can come anywhere near it.

Vanne I'm sorry that I couldn't get in on this one. The PS1 version was terrible, and the hoops needed to go through to either play hacked versions on Win10 or genuine versions through emulation were just too much. I think there's some valuable lessons there for our "Let's Play" series in ensuring we can offer titles that lower the bar to entry.

I do sincerely hope this one gets the GoG treatment, although given that it's a Games Workshop developed property and EA published, I think that's nigh impossible given their combined "evil empire" management. It's sad that games like these get lost to time because of bad leadership.

Vanne likes this.