1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Magazines

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by flugle, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

2. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

3. CacTuar

CacTuar Member

I only wish there were more Sega Power scans. There were so many jokes written into the articles and reviews, I remember some of the reviews really had nothing to do with the game. I remember an 'interview' with sonic for sonic and knuckles and something about him having to help his uncle tile his bathroom or something.
    And the tip for street fighter was 'call up your mates in the middle of the night, tell them there's been a terrible accident, then scream loudly and hang up'.
    I think I have one or two editions still but they probably aren't in the best condition.

4. spoon69

spoon69 Formula 1 Reporter

My dad and I used to have a couple years worth of the old Australian Commodore and Amiga Review mags. I vaguely remember storing them in his garage over a decade ago.

I might have to stop by his house after work this week and see if he still has them. :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

I wasn't a big Sega user at the time, being a Nintendo and Amiga User, but I think Amiga Power was from the same stable as Sega Power and had a similar format. It too was a great magazine and was a fun read.

Sega Power seems to be very hard to find, the only complete collection I've ever seen was someone on Assembler years ago. Even as an avid magazine buyer since the early 80s through the 90s I never even saw it in the shops that much. I think we'd have to hope for some more UK contributors to get more of that magazine.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  6. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

It's not on oldgamemags.com, but if you want a great read, pop over to the atariage forums. In the Classic Computer section of the forum there's a thread there where someone has scanned andposted links to nearly every Byte magazine.

I love reading them. Nothing screams serious computer magazines like a 500 sheet thick slab of paper like some of these were :)

Edit with link: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/167235-byte-magazine/page-36?hl=byte#entry2997696

7. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

1000th magazine to the site just posted, not a bad achievement for a couple of scanners!

8. aloysius

aloysius Member

I have a stack of 1990s Sega magazines, Mostly Megazone but a few from the Sega Club before they discontinued it in favour of megazone (which I think was Segazone first and changed to Megazone). They are in a box in storage, and I would rather they not be destroyed to be scanned. However I would love to see them preserved. I am happy to send them to you for scanning if you can do so without destroying them. I will pay postage one way if you do return? Site seems a bit light on for Sega content.

9. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

Thanks for the offer, I can definitely scan them without destroying them (thanks to an A3 flatbed scanner)

I'll send you a PM :)

10. CacTuar

CacTuar Member

I found my one copy of Sega Power. It's Issue 60 (Nov. 1994). It's complete but the cover's not in A1 condition. Any chance you want it? If possible I'd like to get it back even if that means i'd pay postage back. Also when you have Unavailable as status does that mean you don't have that copy? I have quite a few atomic mags from 70 to roughly 200, and have noticed a few 'Unavailables'.

11. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

Yes, I'd definitely take it to scan without destroying it and return it - I've got an A3 flatbed scanner for that purpose.

Unavailable means that one of the scanners has the magazine in their collection, but hasn't gotten around to scanning the whole magazine yet, just the cover.

12. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

I've now uploaded all the PCPP magazines I have. There's still a few gaps in the collection online, so if anyone can help fill them in it would be fantastic.

On to the Hypers now....

13. CREDO

CREDO Member

I gotta say these scans are stunning, poster quality. ie thats what im doing with a few.

well done man.

14. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

Would you be interested in any TI-99/4A stuff? I recently came into acquisition of years of the Sydney TI-99/4A User Group issues that I would love someone to preserve and not be lost like so many great resources have already been.

15. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

They sound fantastic. I've never seen much TI stuff preserved online so I'd be happy to scan them.

Shoot me a PM if you like and we can sort it out

16. H1KE

H1KE Member

I've got a buttload of PCFormat [at least 30+ issues?] as well as a few one off issues of other mags. I've even got a copy of the 'Quake Bible' [Hyper did it I think?] which is a great read. It's like a time capsule of the height of Quake modding. I'm just outside of Newcastle, so if you'd like to add the PCF's, let me know and we can work out timing etc. Love your work! :D

Also noticed FileFactory is a pos when it comes to downloading, and constantly conked out with 'server overloaded' every download, so if you want a free mirror, I have hosting with 'unlimited' data and bandwidth. Can give you your own FTP access etc, so just give the word and I can set you up. :thumbup:

17. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

PM incoming :)

18. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Had a TI-99/4A as my first computer when I was a youngster. Would like to see these when they are scanned. :thumbup:

19. H1KE

H1KE Member

Was my first too. Tunnels Of Doom and Parsec were the bomb. :leet:

20. Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member