Retro Magazines

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by flugle, Jul 8, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

A lot of them are up there now, look under the Computers section and there's now a dedicated TI page

I've sent plenty more to be uploaded as well, so they'll all be available once the site admin gets them all up there

As to Retromags, it's a good resource but mostly for US magazines which I don't think are a patch on the UK magazines.

I'd like to think oldgamemags is a much better source for UK magazines, and probably the only once where you can find Aussie stuff at all

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. sean0118

sean0118 Member

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

My wife bought me physical copies of every single Mean Machines and CVG (80s and 90s console magazines) for a wedding anniversary a few years back.

I couldn't love that woman more if I tried. :)

4. Alpha2k6

Alpha2k6 Member

This is very interessting will have to check these out :)
    Thanks Flugle for doing this! :thumbup:

Used to have lots of old Swedish computer magazines, sadly when your limited on space things go either to the recycling bins or the flea market.

But a digital archive sounds like a very interessting plan to preserve such things =)

5. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

Elvis you are a very lucky man

Glad you guys are enjoying my (and Kiwi, this site owner's) scans.

I've got a few more PC Powerplays going up there and a few more Edges and then I'm out of those magazines, so if anyone can volunteer magazines to fill in the gaps let me know.

just working out what to scan next. Currently I have a pile of Nintendo Magazine Systems to go up there which will be uploaded shortly. Then I might do Arcade, which was a brilliant but fairly shortlived multiformat magazine from Future

Also given Hyper's demise as a monthly magazine I might do a few in honour of that.

So there's plenty more to come!

6. dreamcaster

dreamcaster Member

I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and taking the time and effort to take such high quality scans of the magazines, it makes them very easy and enjoyable to read in a digital fashion. I wish the Retro Gamer digital editions were of similar quality instead of the blurry/blocky mess that they charge people for.

I've made a small donation for now but I will be donating more in the future to help support the site continue on. :):thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

Glad you enjoy it!

It is a shame that the Imagine publishing backorder DVDs are such terrible quality. GamesTM is the same, they look terrible on a monitor.

I'm a digital subscriber to GamesTM and the quality there is great for current editions, so it's very disappointing that the older editions look so bad.

As they're for sale however, that means Retro Gamer back editions won't be going up on the site. The other reason is that although I have every single issue, I don't want to chop them up for scanning :)

8. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Man, I used to buy all the mags which used to preview up and coming consoles like the 3DO.. wish I hadn't thrown them out now as I could have donated them :(

9. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

Hey guys,

Im moving soon and need to get rid of my stuff and I would hate to throw it out. I have easy over 50 issues of atomic and other assorted computer magazines to give away. You never know there could be a naughty one amongst them as well but mainly all computer mags.

I live in Newport on the northern beaches in Sydney

Would be happy to give them away but will accept any donations to my beer fund but dont feel obligated. Would rather them goto a fellow computer user like me Might have a few other computers bits to give away as well.

PM me for my mobile number or pickup address

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/stalyoni/media/20150207_203849Large_zps22407160.jpg.html

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/stalyoni/media/20150207_204222Large_zpsba4432d2.jpg.html

10. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

Hi Stalyoni,

If they're mostly Atomic, then we don't really need any more, as the site owner has a full set which is not far off being fully scanned.

Thanks for the offer though. You might get some takers if you post in the FS section as a freebie - always a shame to see these get dumped

Edit: I just saw your post in the FS thread, beat me to it :)

11. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

Shame you're in NSW. I have probably the first 130 issues of PC format (was a subscriber), and would have to have 50+ CVGs (almost every CVG cover used to come off, crappy staples) and other mags like PC zone etc from the same era (90-98).

The magazine stack at my mother's place must be 5 feet tall. One day I'll go pick them up. Perhaps I'll catalogue them and you can tell me if there's any you desperately want me to scan.

12. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

I just paid $100 to have a load shipped to me from Vic so I've got no problem paying for freight costs and your time if you're willing to offload these.

PC Formats would be great, as would C&VGs :)

13. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

I've now exhausted my supply of Edge and PC Powerplay magazines, anyone who can help fill in the gaps would be a legend.

14. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

15. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

He's dreaming, he's been relisting them at that price for at least the several months I've been looking at that auction and there's been no price drop. Might get lucky but I doubt it very much

Edit: I just had a look- he's actually RAISED the price, it was around $350 a while ago.

16. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Ahhh I hate sellers like that. Think they've got something which is worth a mint so they won't accept anything less. Been there plenty of times.

It's a shame because compared to other retro computer items, print media is probably the most susceptible to wear and tear over time. Would much rather see collections like these be archived on a site like yours then sit around forever waiting to be sold.

Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

17. badmofo

badmofo Member

I have ~32 old PC mags - 90's era - that I'm looking to get rid of if anyone's interested. They're mostly Australian Personal Computer but there's also a couple of PC worlds, 2 PC Formats (issue 53 and 54) and a couple of ACE.

They're too good to dump in the recycling but that's where they're headed if I can't find them a home. Pickup from 3072.

18. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

If I give you some money for postage for the PC Formats and ACEs would you be interested in sending them? I'll scan them for the site.

19. badmofo

badmofo Member

No probs. PM me your address, I'll send 'em, and you can pay me back.

20. OP
    OP
    flugle

flugle Member

Bump to let Hyper fans know to keep an eye out for a stack of mid 90s issues going up online as soon as my rubbish ADSL gets them all up there. A few have gone up already but there's another 25 or so to come :)

Kiwi is also looking to finish off the complete Atomic set - if anyone can help with issue 96, 112, 131 and 132 we'll be able to have a complete full set scanned.

Plus a general callout for any other magazines you've got rotting away in cupboards - please consider donating (I'll pay any costs incurred getting them to me) to share for everyone