Retro: Nuts & Bolts

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by RETARD, Nov 13, 2012.

1. RETARD

RETARD New Member

Makes: Enough to feed a small African village

Cost: Approx $10 - $12

Retro. Spicy. Moorish.

Chances are if you're a kid of the 80's you would of seen these little beauties being wolfed down in gigantic proportions by your parents.

This is my slightly modified version with and an extra little kick from the Wasabi peas. I've set this at a fairly mild spice level however, If you're a real spice head add extra tablespoon of Curry Powder to make the sweat pour down your face.

You could add some colouful rice crisps to brighten it up for a party / Xmas table.

Happy eating :)

INGREDIENTS:

[​IMG]

• 300 g of Nutri-grain
    • 300 g Salted Peanuts
    • 150 g Cashews
    • 50 g Wasabi Peas (optional)
    • 3 T Curry Powder
    • 1ts Mustard Powder
    • 1 pkt cream of chicken soup (40 g OR 1 T stock powder) - Sifted
    • 1 pkt French onion soup (40 g) - Sifted
    • 1/4 C Oil

METHOD:
    1. Add the entire contents (minus the Wasabi Peas) to a large roasting tray & Combine very well till all spice powders are evenly distributed

OMG its E.T!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Place into a preheated oven at 100 deg C for 60 mins. Give a good mix around at 30 mins.

[​IMG]

3. Remove and cool to room temp.

4. Add Wasabi peas

[​IMG]

For one ...
    [​IMG]

For the Masses!
    [​IMG]

Serve immediately or keep in a Sealed container for up to 2 weeks.

2. --B--

--B-- Member

i was a child during the 80s and im not sure ive ever seen those!

looks good though mate.

3. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD New Member

I'm thinking there will be a few other demented 80's fans that will recognise this famous Chow.

If you have beer ... you want these!

Ahh remember those days at the pub before health regulations ?
    A bowl of chips/nuts on the bar for everyone to help them selves to ... mmm saliva contamination :eek:

4. scon

scon Member

Saliva was the least of your worries! Speaking of which I sometimes do something similar with spiced nuts.

5. scrantic

scrantic Member

Yep, These seem to make their way into the christmas speard each year with my wifes family. I love them but some people can't get their head around the kind of sweet savoury combo. I think I'll give them a crack myself.

6. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

You've never seen a bowl like this?
    http://www.ellesnewenglandkitchen.com/resource/WindowsLiveWriter-Ineedasnack_97FC-?fileId=5800200
    or this
    http://www.portlandfruitandnut.com/SpicyPub.jpg

Admittedly, I've never seen it with Nutrigrain or any other cereal in it. I've only ever seen salty, savoury things. Not sweets.

I do believe Today Tonight did an "expose" to show that urine and other less desirable fluids were found. As well as cigarette ash :/

You were doing good if you only got saliva in bar nuts.

7. Rexy

Rexy Member

Nuts & Bolts. Mmmmmm. I haven't had these in years. You think the sweet from the Nutrigrain will destroy it, but if you haven't tried it, you must. It's not that sweet and they are mad addictive. You can smash down a bowl before you know it. Nice up.

8. whfbee

whfbee Member

haha my grandma used to make these seemed to have a slightly different this has made me wanna see if i can get the recipe and try hers out. hers used to have things like pretzels and weird little biscuits in there.

9. --B--

--B-- Member

oh yeah of course ive seen that type of thing. in fact i love the stuff to this day

after thinking about it for a little while i can recall seeing and eating the nuts and bolts mix retard posted however it wasnt a regular event during my childhood

10. yiker

yiker Member

Ah the memories, all good of course.

My grandfather use to churn these out, his twist came in the form of sultanas which added another layer of texture to the flavour.

I will be giving this a crack, thanks for the recipe.

11. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

Cooked this last night, Thanks!
    Brought back memories, mum used to make this for little lunch.

Wife had her first taste and loved it, so did the kids except for my autistic 5 year old "Put them in the BIIIIINNNNNN!!!!" :)

Unforunately the kids can't take this to school because of 'nut free' policy.

12. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

o.0

No hugging
    No running
    No ballgames
    No nuts

Really? Are nuts now that bad, or our immune systems so weak, that medical assistance is not close enough, that we have to ban all nuts from schools?

13. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

I think kids are stupid enough to find out their mate has nut allergies and then throw nuts at him... I know I would have done it as a kid and not even thought of the consequences :Paranoid: Back when I was in primary school you wouldn't really hear about allergies though other than kids allergic to bees.

By the way, I used to always have these as a kid and your version with wasabi peas look delicious. Wasabi peanuts would be good too :)

14. scrantic

scrantic Member

Sorry to take this OT.

It's a tricky one. I used to be very intolerant people with food "intolerances" but allergies resulting in anaphylaxis is a different matter particulate after seeing my 16 month old go through this a couple of weeks ago as the result of a test after positive skin pricks. We've never been "clean freaks" using kills 99% of germs type sprays and stuff like that and don't freak out every time she puts stuff in her mouth that's been on the ground no family history to speak of either.

There are many schools of thought on the causes from Vitamin D deficiency to it being the first born in more cases and people who don't have pets.

Some of the theories are as far fetched as this.
    http://arstechnica.com/science/2012...-of-absence-takes-on-the-worms-youre-missing/

15. STINGA

STINGA Member

Made this yesterday with a couple of accidental changes.
    I used cream of mushroom soup powder instead of french onion and the cream of chicken soup powder was the continental "Lots of Noodles" version.

Ended up quite good though, the noodles are really small and they crisped up nicely :) Not a bad addition for an accident. :D

16. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD New Member

You are correct.
    Just one of those morish things that can come back to haunt you in the toilet if you have too many!

I reckon there would be quite a few versions of this floating about.
    There are some colourful rice crisps that would give it a bit of a festive look.
    Go and bother grandma and come back with her recipe :thumbup:

Sultanas ring a bell. I'm not sure i had them with this recipe but definitely in something similar. No doubt it would mix in nicely.
    Good call :thumbup:
    :lol: i have an autistic nephew about 13 y.o
    You did well to get him to try it. They certainly know how to speak their minds :D
    Typically when the family is over we can't brown the meat too much, no sauces at all & thins aren't allowed to be mixed together (i.e vegetables have to be separate)
    I normally make some chicken schnitzels for him - they are his fave.

looks like majority rules so a good success for you :leet:

I personally don't get the whole banned foods thing.
    I don't have kids but i can only imagine parents trying to bring their kids up telling them its good to share. Probably too young to differentiate what is and isnt the right thing to share.
    I still don't think an education system should be telling me what i could and couldn't feed my kid though.

Those ingredients will work just as good no doubt :)
    My recipe probably came from what ever mum had left in the cupboard at the time :lol:
    Some of the best food is found by accident. Who doesn't like a nice surprise!
    Good work :)

17. edzknows

edzknows Member

I made some yesterday. Used peanuts, cashews, nutrigrain, leftover sunflower seeds, chicken noodle soup, french onion, curry powder, garlic powder.

Not as good as i remember them from 10 or so years ago, but still good.
    I had been meaning to make then that whole time, but only did it now after this thread jogged my memory for the 20th time.

18. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD New Member

sounds like me edzknows
    A million things on the go and only so much room in ones stomach.
    Well done on making it ... next time just tweak the things you like more to suit your flavour.
    I like the addition of sunflower seed :thumbup:

19. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

i make this a couple times a year

my favourite snack on the planet.

haven't ever tried wasabi peas...might give it a whirl.

never heard of using the chicken soup, i've only ever used french onion soup alone.

other suggested ingredients:
    some cayenne pepper along with the curry (essential! the best bit!)
    pepitas (green pumpkin seeds) - nice alternative texture
    also some people like mixed nuts - i prefer 2/3 cashews, 1/2 peanuts, myself

20. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD New Member

Great suggestions DarthWindu :)

I'll be keen to try some of that on the next batch.
    This should be an essential Christmas Day snack for every family table.
    Oh how the toilets of Australia will suffer!