1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Racing August 2020 - 1nsane

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by jimbogimp, Aug 1, 2020.

1. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Join the OCAU Retro Driving Club in a different retro driving game each month and see who can lay down the fastest lap!

The Game of the Month:

One of my all time favourites: 1nsane:

upload_2020-8-1_14-23-52.png

upload_2020-8-1_14-26-9.png

The Game Description

Insane (stylised as 1NSANE) is an off-road racing game by Invictus and distributed by Codemasters

Levels are set in real world locations, scattered throughout North America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia. The actual design, however, is fictitious. The single-player campaign comprises a series of championships in different vehicle classes, where the player unlocks new vehicles and locations. Vehicles range from utility vehicles to light buggies and are either fictional or inspired by actual production vehicles. Though the names do not correspond with any actual vehicle, the fact is evident both visually in-game and in the names of the game's files.

Players can drive cars of their choices in either of nine events, which include Capture the Flag, Jamboree, Gate Hunt, Destruction Zone, Pathfinder, Off-Road Racing, Return the Flag, and Free Roam.

Highlights for me is the excellent multiplayer mayhem in the capture the flag mode.

The physics in my opinion are excellent. Its great to see the independent suspension working away over the varying terrain. The damage model is also pretty neat. Unrealistic in the fact that no matter what you can always keep driving. But the car gets squished and contorted messing up the axles making it hard to control. You may even lose a wheel or two. Repairing costs a few seconds to reset, but you can also just keep on driving with the car in some silly shape.

Even the screensaver is cool, if you leave the game for a while in the menu a demo race will start and you can just take over the controls.

The Memories

I remember putting hours into the demo of this. Being the time before "the internet of today" I could not find the game at a brick and mortar store. This was the first game that I purchased online with my credit card and I think I had to wait for a few weeks for the CD to arrive from the UK.

I rarely even play through the championship mode much, I just enjoy messing about and smashing up my car. If you cant be bothered unlocking everything, just start a multiplayer game to try out cars and tracks that are unavailable from the start.

I've had a few nights with "da boys" and set up 4 computers all with force feedback wheels. Great fun in the multiplayer.

The How To

If you would like to purchase the game legally then GOG is the go. $15 is a bit harsh... It pops up on sale occasionally if you want to find an "alternative source" and maybe pick it up later when on sale.

I've installed this on so many different PC's over the years from Win98 to Win10. Atom laptops to full gaming rigs. It will totally run on a potato. Fingers crossed this one just works for everyone.

The Track

We'll be heading to Utah for this one.

upload_2020-8-1_14-50-30.png

Watch out for buffalo! ... or is it a bison? I dunno seems legit but.
    upload_2020-8-1_14-46-33.png

The Car

The Chevy Blazer... I mean Unlicensed "Blaze"

I think this time we'll open up the tweaking too, feel free to go into the vehicle setup and choose your poison. I think you should also share your setup if you post the fastest time.

The flame paint makes it go faster.
    upload_2020-8-1_14-58-51.png

The Entry Fee

A $5 Donation to a legitimate charity of your choice. This is not mandatory. If you cant afford it don't worry. I just figure we may as well have some “greater good” come out of this!

Since I've mostly been shirking this the whole time :Paranoid: This month I've donated $50 to Children's Ground https://childrensground.org.au/campaigns/donate/

The Rules
    • Post your best lap time in the thread for the nominated car & track. Please copy the existing leader board and insert your time to make for easy updates.
    • Its basically the honour system and just for good fun. If it gets big and serious we might need to make some more official rules to keep it from getting out of hand but lets just see how we go.
    • A screenshot will increase the legitimacy of your time particularly if you’re in the top 3.
    • Dont forget a photo of your retro setup so that we can all drool over the obscure controllers.
    • An uploaded video will get you bonus points.
    • Stating your donations will secure you a spot on the leader board with a gold star and many likes.
    • Please don't show up on the last day and post a time half a second faster than the leader with no proof. Its rude and will likely be ignored.
    • Shortcuts are encouraged. Cut corners, crash into walls, drive off road, get around the track as fast as you can within the limits of the game … but no cheats/hacks please. If you find some cool glitch/shortcut that gives you a super good time share it so we can all have a go.
    • Original hardware is not required. Play on whatever you can get the game to work on.

Practice Mode
    Vehicle - Blaze
    Location - Utah
    Game Mode - Off-Road Race
    Game Length - 3 Laps

Will keep a leader board for best individual lap and overall time.

[​IMG]

upload_2020-8-1_15-8-28.png
    There's some extra stuff in the statistics screen. Longest jump and things which we can add in.

The Prize:

The glory of telling your family and friends that you beat some strangers on the internet in some random old racing game you played as a kid.

The Leader Board

Fastest Lap:
    JSmithDTV - 40.24
    jimbogimp - 42.78
    breech - 43.52
    FantoM_CircuiT - 43.92
    MUTMAN - 46.32
    ---------
    ---------

Fastest Overall Time:
    JSmithDTV - 2:07.11
    FantoM_CircuiT - 2:13.92
    jimbogimp - 2:14.01
    breech - 2:18.94
    MUTMAN - 2:35.29
    ---------
    ---------

I always thought it was Onesane.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Agg, clonex, elvis and 3 others like this.
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i've not played this one, lookign forward to it :thumbup:

no longer abandonware so for now a sneaky download on the way. it may end up on a gdrive if needed ...

asho444 and jimbogimp like this.
  3. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Isn't it a drm free game now? :cool:

Anyway... have been playing this a bit. Decided to use "quick race" as there are opponents, which I find is a bit more fun and also pressure to go faster. This game doesn't seem to record high scores though so be sure to grab a screenshot before racing again. Annoyingly with this game I cant seem to alt tab back to the desktop or alt f4 to close, so you need fo fully exit the game.

In one race I set a better lap time, in another a better overall time, both with vehicle setup on offroad. So thought I'd post my times to get the ball rolling;

1nsane-1.jpg 1nsane-2.jpg

The Leader Board

Fastest Lap:
    JSmithDTV - 47.54
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------

Fastest Overall Time:
    JSmithDTV - 2:40.62
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------

JSmith

MUTMAN likes this.
  4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

upload_2020-8-2_8-25-31.png

had a couple of runs at practice, but got lonely out there so i did a race :)

best lap of about 21 so far

i imagine if someone can get gate 2 and 5 just right then their times will be super quick

The Leader Board

Fastest Lap:
    MUTMAN - 46:32
    JSmithDTV - 47.54
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------

Fastest Overall Time:
    MUTMAN - 2:35:29
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------

edit - get your shit together JSmithDTV :p

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    JSmithDTV likes this.
  5. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

Did a bit of practice this morning. The game worked perfectly with my G25 wheel which has been fun.

A found a widescreen mod that worked perfectly for me on Windows 10. The max resolution I got to work was 1920x1080. Higher resolutions are listed but they just crash to desktop for me. https://images.graniteoctopus.com/insane/Misc/1nsane+widescreen+mod.zip

This is with the "Race" setup, but with suspension adjusted back to normal - this track is a bit rough for "hard".

[​IMG]

The Leader Board

Fastest Lap:
    FantoM_CircuiT - 43.92
    jimbogimp - 45.58
    MUTMAN - 46.32
    JSmithDTV - 47.54
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------

Fastest Overall Time:
    jimbogimp - 2:31.85
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------

JSmithDTV and MUTMAN like this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

GOG needs to stay alive, we need GOG to stay alive
    I'll send some $$$ for a game or two. But as Jimbo said, 15 bucks for this game feels a bit steep ??

JSmithDTV likes this.
  7. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

Yeah I love to support gog, but $15 does seem high for a nearly 20 year old game. I already had it in my gog library from buying it years ago so not sure if the price went up or something?

Digging through my old game files I found an "1nsane windows theme" as well as a winamp skin, if you really want to re-live some of the good old days :D

It's also been fun looking through some of the old mods and guides that were created. Links to some old resources here, though many are dead: http://vnovak.com/1nsanelinks.html

8. Grant

Grant Member

I just bought it on GOG. If you know what I mean, you can borrow my copy while I'm not playing it, just make sure not to play it at the same time as each other. But please don't link to pirated versions when there's a legal way to get it from the copyright holder.

MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  9. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

Whoops, didn't realise there was a full game download in that other link I posted. Removed it.

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Not as quick as FantoM_CircuiT, but thought I'd update as just 2nd on lap time... for now;

1nsane-3.jpg

The Leader Board

Fastest Lap:
    FantoM_CircuiT - 43.92
    JSmithDTV - 45.31
    jimbogimp - 45.58
    MUTMAN - 46.32
    ---------
    ---------

Fastest Overall Time:
    JSmithDTV - 2:40.33
    ---------
    ---------

JSmith

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. breech

breech Member

This is an old favorite from wayback.. beers + multiplayer highly recommended :thumbup:

12. power

power Member

i don't think i ever played this outside of some CTF on a LAN.

13. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

How much does the no alt tab suck. I've never really clocked it as a problem untill I did the first post & it took me fkn ages having to constantly exit and restart the game lol.

I wonder if there is some way we could all join a server for some multi player action. I've been thinking if this might be something that we could get working if there are some games out there with dedicated server options I could potentially host something.

I dunno, it's probably too socially awkward anyway :D

breech and JSmithDTV like this.
  14. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

It really does, as when taking a screenshot you need to exit the game to paste it, save it and then go back into the game... also your custom vehicle settings just vanish, so need to remember what settings were working well too.
    Sounds interesting. :)

JSmith

15. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I think I only ever played it singleplayer, and not much because of that....my recollection is that the game is a bit barebones.

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

the jamborree takes some time to master. if you go through a check point too soon then the others basically get a headstart to the next flag. really need to 'suck em in' by sitting and waiting :)

Pierre32 likes this.
  17. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

This runs like a real dog on my Win98 box whenever there are competitors on screen, so I've been learning the ropes in practice mode. Might have to jump over to the main rig to start doing times.

18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I'll just pop my new times in... :cool:

1nsane-8.jpg 1nsane-5.jpg

Fastest Lap:
    JSmithDTV - 41.77
    FantoM_CircuiT - 43.92
    jimbogimp - 45.58
    MUTMAN - 46.32
    ---------
    ---------

Fastest Overall Time:
    JSmithDTV - 2:25.12
    ---------
    ---------

JSmith

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

41.77 impressive !!

JSmithDTV likes this.
  20. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

Nice one! I reckon I'm still losing heaps of time just before the last checkpoint... any tips there?

Also it sucks there is no lap timer, kinda hard to compare and see how you're going.