1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Racing/Drive Club - Arcade/PC/Console/Anything Else!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Jan 31, 2020.

1. power

power Member

So. A couple of us have been getting back into retro racing and some less retro racing games of our youth (and some we missed) and we kind of are in the middle of a wheel buying bender as well and are finding these either a) cheap af or b) you paid how much for a piece of 25 yo plastic that looks kinda like a wheel!?

This got me to thinking we the ocau retro community (that's what i'm calling us as a whole now deal with it) should come together to discuss our fave games of yore, what we're playing, what we played to death, what pretend steering wheels we own or have bought and just generally talking driving or racing games.

This thread is open to sim/arcade you name it, bring your love of driving games and share that with everyone. Yes that also means Mario Kart is welcome too as well as Formula 1 sims. No judgement.

I have a few things to share soon, no pics at the moment here of my peripherals and games, can't wait to see what everyone else is or was into.

Vanne and elvis like this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

A friend gave me a (what looks like) fairly decent wheel and pedals about 3 years back. I promptly put it in a storage box and forgot about it. Time to dig that sucker out and see what I can do with it. Hopefully it works in MAME for driving games.

On my list of things to make are a wheel-mouse hack as a 360 degree spinner for MAME, so I can play all the old arcade titles that wanted a full 360 degree wheel.

A handful of such games in this video:

3. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Mario Kart aside, I wouldn't consider myself a big racing fan. Didn't even have a decent wheel/pedal setup until GT5. There were a few games that I put a lot of time in though.

Need for Speed II:SE - Bought this shortly after I purchased my first Voodoo. Pretty sure it was one of the first games with Glide/3D acceleration support out of the box. I remember it looked incredible at the time and would 'race' slowly around the circuits just checking out the scenery. Also got a kick out of there being an Australian track.

Moto Racer - Similar to NFS:II, I picked this up to show off my brand new Voodoo :) It also happened to be an excellent racer though with a real sense of weight and speed when playing.

On console (other than MK) it was all Gran Turismo, Colin McRae and T.O.C.A.

Last but not least, a big shout out to Deathtrack which I was mildly obsessed with as a teen. :)

4. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Well, my personal favourite is Stunts/4D sports driving.

There's still an active competition going, although its less about racing each other and more about exploiting the game's quirks to get the best time.

http://zak.stunts.hu/index.php?page=download

Also, Road Rash:

There's a spritual successor called Road Redemption which, although not perfect, is pretty good in its own right.

elvis likes this.
  5. badmofo

badmofo Member

Ah Stunts, so many happy memories.

I played various racing games back in the day, mostly PC, but the game that struck a cord for me was Network Q Rally (Europress Rally Championship) released in 1997. I've recreated the setup I used to play it on and still play it semi-regularly - the epic, 20 min long tracks through the snow are so cathartic and it's easy enough that my kids can jump in and have a good time.

The wheel is of course the Thrustmaster GP1 - paddles on the wheel which I love. Not a high quality item but I've bought a few NOS over the years so should have enough parts to last me until the end of time. The PC is a Cyrix MII 300, which pumps out the frames really well in SVGA with max details - some Cyrix registry fiddling does help though.

[​IMG]

Pierre32 and power like this.
  6. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

I have been thinking about putting together a "Retro Racing Comp" each month (akin to that of the "retro lets play") where we nominate a game + track for the month and try to get the fastest lap.

So far I have 12 games in mind to cover a full year and just need to a write up with nice pictures and such for each month (along with generally testing each game and making sure its suitable to use for a comp)

Anyway, if that sounds good to you guy's then I'll continue with the plan and hopefully have something that we can start with in February. :)

WuZMoT, Vanne, elvis and 1 other person like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i love that idea, i would never win (unless it's Sega Rally on the Saturn of course).

8. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Have been trying to get sega model 2 emulator to run Daytona on windows XP, so far no luck. it just crashes when it tries to load the game.

http://nebula.emulatronia.com

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Very cool idea.

(Although I will lose badly).

Vanne likes this.
  10. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

I haven't tried on xp, but will give it a go shortly. Can confirm (on win 7 & 10) that once you get a FFB wheel working and 4 player multi it is certainly living the dream!

11. Vanne

Vanne Member

Id absolutely love this, however, I just suck in general at getting organized with so much chaos in my roster and so many other things on the go atm. I've been trying to get myself sorted with the old Atomic boys over at Atomic SIM racing Australia, and have been over 2 years now trying to piece a sim rig together... Unsuccessfully I might add .. just too much on the go. All the parts I have, but sadly, nothing set up, but just would like however to spectate a bit. :)

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I would recommend the 360 version. It's pretty amazing it's also back compat/crossbuy with xb1. There IS a PC port too, but the box says 95/98 I really should see if it will run on a modern OS.

Right, I take that back it was Windows 95 on the box AND a Pentium processor - I do NOT meet these requirements!

upload_2020-1-31_17-47-57.png

It turns out it needs a LOT of HDD space (I clicked FULL because I like to live dangerously).

upload_2020-1-31_17-48-50.png

AND a CD-ROM drive - lucky I still have one. Made in Japan, you know it's quality.

upload_2020-1-31_17-49-29.png

It actually runs!! Under W10 no less - I would not recommend anyone in their right mind do this.

upload_2020-1-31_17-55-43.png

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  13. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I absolutely adore Daytona, and highly recommend Linneman's Daytona video to you all!

I also wish Sega would hurry up and give us a Daytona 2 port - that game is amazeballs.

14. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Unfortunately the PC version plays absolutely nothing like the arcade or console ports :(

15. badmofo

badmofo Member

Gah I paid full price for that PC port, one of the biggest regrets of my life :upset:

Nascar for the PC was pretty rad but it turns out that you just go round and round and round :lol:. Geoff Crammond's GP2 was also a game that seemed awesome and I really wanted to like, but it killed my 486DX2 66 dead and was just too serious for me.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

shockingly enough it does feel like a console port - the original not good Saturn port.

17. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Which is why I am trying to get the emulator version going first, before resorting the to windows game version.

18. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I remember Moto Racer being a well regarded franchise and was excited about Moto Racer 3 before it came out. It was also well received but DRM killed it, causing problems for even legitimate owners. within 12 months of its release it was a free game disc inside kelloggs cereal. Interesting little history.

I fired up NFS:II on PS1 last night and from a design point that proving grounds track is just a nonsensical scenery show and it's pretty cool. It's a pretty early PS1 game though so it's not as refined as later entries on the PS1. I'm sure the PC version is infinitely superior if it's glide...

Nascar '98 on PS1 had a paintball gun cheat. once activated in the menu you press triangle to shoot paintballs from the front of your car. When they hit other cars they make them spin out spectacularly like they are on ice. It certainly livened up the oval tracks, used to play it with my old man split screen. We would make an agreement at the start to not shoot each other and just gang up on the AI's. Sometimes the agreement was broken :D

elvis likes this.
  19. Reaper

Reaper Member

I think a challenge is fire up test drive 3 on dosbox and try to keep to the road. Holy cow it was everywhere. I gave it a run the other morning just for why nots. Even on what I reckon is a pretty good speed of 8000 cycles it was too fast. Most other games I used to run on my 8088 run perfect at that speed.

20. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Alright I started a new thread for the monthly hot lap challenge. Stunts is on!

Vanne and elvis like this.