1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Racing February 2020 - Stunts

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by jimbogimp, Jan 31, 2020.

1. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Join the OCAU Retro Driving Club in a different retro driving game each month and see who can lay down the fastest lap!

The Game of the Month:

Stunts / 4D Sports Driving Released 1990

Title.PNG

Menu.PNG

The Game Description (Usually stolen from wikipedia)

In Stunts, players race a lap around the circuit, with the aim of completing the lap as quickly as possible without crashing. However, these laps often feature special track areas such as loops, jumps (including over tall buildings), slalom roads and corkscrews. The game area is restricted by a large fixed size square area defined and surrounded by a fence which the game is designed to prevent the player from leaving. Players can either race against the clock or choose between six different opponents; there is no support for real-time multiplayer. Stunts features 11 different drivable cars, with either automatic or manual transmission. Replays of races can be saved and reviewed. There are four camera views available during replay and actual driving, and the dashboard is an optional overlay on all views. It is also possible to continue the race from any point in the replay, however the time for that race will not be recorded. Another major feature of the game is the built-in track and terrain editor which allows the user to design arbitrary new tracks or modifications of existing tracks.

The Memories

I sank hours into this game as a kid on the family PC. The track builder gave a lot of extra value to the game. I remember making a track with about 15 different routes where only one got you to the finishing line and the rest sent you back to the beginning. I also managed to stumble onto a high speed F1 car glitch where if you wind out the revs fast enough on a jump you can maintain full speed on grass. This made for some awesome replays and massive air time all viewable with the built in replay feature. Also interesting fact; this is where I learned Lamborghini actually made a 4x4.

The How To

Stunts can be played in Dosbox on any PC. Original hardware would likely be a 386 or equivalent with VGA graphics. Feel free to figure out the best combination that works for you … but the easiest way is to just play in a browser:

https://classicreload.com/stunts.html

*update!

Version 1.1 has different physics allowing you to hit the gap in the short loop. Archive.org and Classic Reload both use 1.0

You can get 1.1 from here and run it in dosbox: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/stunts-10y

There is also a 1.2 version for amiga.

The Track

For the purposes of easy access generally we’ll choose a tracks that is available at the start of the game or in the demo so you don't have to unlock anything.

For stunts, this is the “DEFAULT” track.

But it turns out there are a bunch of different versions of said default track, so I made a copy here that hopefully will work in whatever version you are running!
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ivNXF51r-MQ17Ii2JCDM1d2-cGPmH4wz
    Now named OCAU

track.PNG

The Car

Everyone in the same car please otherwise times will be all over the shop!

For Stunts this will be the Porsche Carrera 4.

porche.PNG

The Entry Fee

A $5 Donation to a legitimate charity of your choice. This is not mandatory. If you cant afford it don't worry. I just figure we may as well have some “greater good” come out of this!

The Rules

• Post your best lap time in the thread for the nominated car & track.
    • Its basically the honour system and just for good fun. If it gets big and serious we might need to make some more official rules to keep it from getting out of hand but lets just see how we go.
    • A screenshot will increase the legitimacy of your time particularly if you’re in the top 3.
    • Dont forget a photo of your retro setup so that we can all drool over the Roland's, CRT’s, Mad Catz's and Model M’s.
    • An uploaded video will get you bonus points.
    • Stating your donations will secure you a spot on the leader board with a gold star and many likes.
    • Please don't show up on the last day and post a time half a second faster than the leader with no proof. Its rude and will likely be ignored.
    • Shortcuts are encouraged. Cut corners, drive off road, get around the track as fast as you can within the limits of the game … but no cheats/hacks please. If you find some cool glitch/shortcut that gives you a super good time share it so we can all have a go.
    • Original hardware is not required. Play on whatever you can get the game to work on. Steering Wheels and old office PC's are cheap as on gumtree and highly recommended!

The Prize:

The glory of telling your family and friends that you beat some strangers on the internet in some random old racing game you played as a kid.

The
    Leader board (Updated 12/2/20)

There's a bit of confusion with different versions and different tracks that is a bit hard to control with everyone on different platforms. I think we'll just let it run its course wild west style for now.

1:39.10 Boneman
    1:39.95 GTR27
    1:41.00 jimbogimp
    1:42.55 deevus
    1:46.05 power
    1:47.55 lanc3r
    1:51.7 DonutKing
    2:47.25 mjunek
    ----
    ----
    ----
    ----
    ----
    ----
    ----

Thats it! errum ... I better get hot lapping!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Phido, JSmithDTV, pH@tTm@N and 3 others like this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Great idea! Stickied and added to our "Let's Play" list.

3. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Doh, I've already found a flaw in the comp. The classicreload "default" track is slightly different to the one that I downloaded separately for dosbox (barriers after the first hill rather than a tunnel)

I'll stick with the classic reload track and start off with a 2:42.2 going around the long way.

242.PNG

4. shredder

shredder Member

I remember this glitch too! Aka the goodluckturning move.

Many memories of this awesome game, a brilliant design and execution.

upload_2020-2-1_5-19-12.png
    Submissive nerd guy!

upload_2020-2-1_5-19-38.png
    The height of radness! Mmmm, chew on that cig, chomp chomp chomp.

genxor, jimbogimp and clonex like this.
  5. power

power Member

So this works with wheels!?

6. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

It's not great with a wheel, the steering reacts as slow as keyboard, but there at least is the slight advantage with analogue input for cornering.

It just uses the default dos box joystick emulator thing which worked well for me but you might have to remap depending on the controller.

7. power

power Member

ok, i don't think i will bother with wheel for now

Something makes me think I have a different version or i somehow chose the wrong car!? This is my third try first couple i didn't make it over a big jump. I went just straight so must be inner track i know i ended up on that white bit. I must have a different version, yours doesn't have a white bit hahaha.

car

upload_2020-2-1_8-24-15.png

track

upload_2020-2-1_8-24-43.png

time

upload_2020-2-1_8-22-33.png

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  8. power

power Member

me no like the long way

upload_2020-2-1_8-44-48.png

9. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

jimbogimp Maybe you can upload the track file? I remember my version had a completely different default track.

10. power

power Member

my long way has this big looping track bit that's not in the OP's.

11. power

power Member

You know how I said I wouldn't bother with a wheel?

Needs calibration, massive deadzone but it works! 15805140632323300751492465202847.jpg

Vanne, clonex, elvis and 1 other person like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

hmm bummer, looks like there are a bunch of different "default" tracks lol.
    I have made a new track the same as the default in the classic reload version, but I cant upload it here due to restricted file version. Any other good way to share it?

13. power

power Member

nope, the in game calibration just isn't really up to it it would seem - tuned for a kb if you ask me.

i must just have the wrong version, it's been on my HDD for years.

for what it's worth this is the version i have

upload_2020-2-1_10-6-0.png

14. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

yeah version conflicts! oh no!

upload_2020-2-1_11-37-5.png

I nabbed my version from here
    https://www.myabandonware.com/game/stunts-10y
    But it still has a different track to that of the classic reload online version.
    lemme just figure out the best way to share the track & we can start afresh :)

15. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Google drive?

16. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

17. power

power Member

wow that track is WAY different - first run.

upload_2020-2-1_16-1-0.png

18. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

you can totally take the short track by driving on the grass past the impossible jump :D

upload_2020-2-1_17-31-1.png

19. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

That jump is totally doable.
    Here's me ALMOST... GOT IT... WHAAA?

Glitches in this game are mad. Probably end up with someone just reversing back through the start line and getting a time of 0:00.01 :)

Vanne and elvis like this.
  20. power

power Member

this comp feels lawless to me, i just took the short track

upload_2020-2-1_17-5-30.png