Retro Racing January 2022 - Ironman Super Off Road - 1989

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by jimbogimp, Jan 2, 2022.

1. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Join the OCAU Retro Driving Club in a different retro driving game each month and see who can lay down the fastest lap!

The Game of the Month:

Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road - 1989 Arcade with a bunch of ports to other systems.

upload_2022-1-2_22-5-46.png

upload_2022-1-2_22-7-47.png

upload_2022-1-2_22-6-39.png

upload_2022-1-2_22-7-6.png

The Game Description

Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road is an arcade video game released in 1989 by Leland Corporation. The game was designed and managed by John Morgan who was also lead programmer, and endorsed by professional off-road racer Ivan Stewart. Virgin Games produced several home versions in 1990. In 1991, a home console version for the Nintendo Entertainment System was later released by Leland's Tradewest subsidiary, followed by versions for most major home formats including the Master System, Genesis, Super NES, Amiga, and MS-DOS. A port for the Atari Jaguar was announced but never released. Some of the ports removed Ivan Stewart's name from the title due to licensing issues and are known simply as Super Off Road.

The arcade machine was one of the more crazy and cool cabinets with up to 3 steering wheels ready for some multiplayer mayhem.
    We had this at our local Timezone arcade in Erina Fair back in the late 90's.

upload_2022-1-2_22-14-21.png

The How To

This is another game that can be launched in your browser thanks to sites such as Classic Reload.
    There are various ports available which can all be emulated using the appropriate emulator for the port. RetroArch is one of the easiest to use front ends that should make for a fun time to load up some different versions & have a play around. I'm hoping to get the MAME version working with my Atari VCS controller that has a built in spinner function so I can replicate the wheel FFFDLDLDLdldrlrdl feeling.
    upload_2022-1-2_22-21-25.png

The Race

This game has a RPG element where you can upgrade your car and increase performance. To aid in simplicity lets just run with the opening race on track "sidewinder"

Feel free to use up all your nitro's!

I cant see any individual lap times, so just post the result of the race.

I haven't played all versions. So it will be interesting to see the difference between platforms. Post up a screenshot and let us know the platform.

The Entry Fee

A $5 Donation to a legitimate charity of your choice. This is not mandatory. If you cant afford it don't worry. I just figure we may as well have some “greater good” come out of this!

The Rules
    • Post your best lap time in the thread for the nominated car & track. Please copy the existing leader board and insert your time to make for easy updates.
    • Its basically the honour system and just for good fun.
    • Dont forget a photo of your retro setup so that we can all drool over the shoulder to shoulder action with 3 spinny wheels
    • An uploaded video will get you bonus points.
    • Stating your donations will secure you a spot on the leader board with a gold star and many likes.

The Prize

The glory of telling your family and friends that you beat some strangers on the internet in some random old racing game you played as a kid.

The Leaderboard

Sidewinder.
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------
    ---------

What came first? Iron Man Off Road or Iron Man Off Road?

Attached Files:

clonex, JSmithDTV, Flamin Joe and 5 others like this.
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Good timing. I just started drafting a version up for you so Agg could put it on the News Page

Just a couple of tabs for research

upload_2022-1-2_21-34-28.png

:D

JSmithDTV, pwlm1975 and jimbogimp like this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I can't recall why exactly, but this game (and Star Control) were loaded up on DOS systems in my junior high school. We'd sneak in games whenever we could.

I didn't play the console versions until MUCH later thanks to my SNES disk backup system, but the 50Hz PAL slowdown killed it (definitely play the US versions of you're playing on console).

Cracking little game.

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    JSmithDTV and jimbogimp like this.
  5. power

power Member

I am not good at this game but I really enjoy looking at it.

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

It's not easy to control with a stick or a pad. I think a spinner or paddle would be much easier

7. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

I'm having trouble configuring the spinner in MAME.

So the windows driver detects it as a dial OK.
    upload_2022-1-3_15-3-48.png

Its like unlimited spin, so turning it to the right takes you up to 100%, but then keep spinning it and it starts from zero again.
    I can set the axis in MAME but if you steer too far right, eventually it goes past 100% to zero and steers hard left.

Anyone know how to get around that whackyness?

It kind of needs to reset to centre every time you stop moving it which I'm pretty sure is how these kind of games worked in the arcade.

Also in the arcade version the first track is called Fandango and is different to the PC version. Let the great platform battle begin!

upload_2022-1-3_15-11-20.png

8. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

This was one of many games I missed in the early 90's due to still being stuck on an XT clone. :( I remember drooling over those exact screenshots in a magazine.

I think what drew me to it was that due to the cars being very small in the screenshots it reminded me very much of Micro Machines which I was very much into a few years before.

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. BistecConBigote

BistecConBigote Member

Hmm I was just playing this on the SNES and it seems stupidly easy compared to what I remember of the Amiga port. Still has the most bullshit wonky physics ever though!

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yes on the arcade version the first track is "Fandango" (can you do the)… an opening time;

Fandango - Race Times

JSmithDTV - 62.75
    ------
    ------
    ------
    ------

upload_2022-1-4_0-45-59.png

JSmith

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    MUTMAN likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Yeah I'm trying to get my hands on all the different versions to see what's what. The Mega Drive (I think) version allows you to spend money before the first race too.

Cool Rom has a fair selection of versions available.

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Fandango - Race Times

JSmithDTV - 61.97
    ------
    ------
    ------
    ------

upload_2022-1-4_15-28-51.png

JSmith

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Seems you have your eye in early in this one Mr Smith.
    Or perhaps, the winners podium has your eye ??

:lol:

JSmithDTV likes this.
  14. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yeah didn't get much time the last few weeks of last month to play retro racing, so while I'm on break I thought I'd give this new one a bit of a push. :)

JSmith

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I sunk SO many coins into this in the arcades.. its one of those machines that if I walked in and saw one then I knew the next hour was going to be lost on it. I'll give this a go, but nothing beats playing it on the original arcade machine. The steering wheel was free spinning, so as you'd come into a corner you'd give it an almighty spin to corner and the truck would turn smoothly.. whoever engineered the controls in the cabinet version did a damn good job.

jimbogimp and MUTMAN like this.
  16. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

Wasted a few dollars of my parents money on this at the arcade.

JSmithDTV and MUTMAN like this.
  17. icewind

icewind Member

dosbox, first race is sidewinder. played many a game trying to beat ivan!

Attached Files:

elvis likes this.
  18. icewind

icewind Member

went through like three different reverses/orientations of sidewinder, big duke, wipeout and hurrican gulch and heuvos grande, now onto blaster. Finally got Fandango.

Attached Files:

19. icewind

icewind Member

cash. i need the cash!

Attached Files:

20. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Played the MAME version, and the thing that surprised me most was the... ahem... "Grid Girl" in the Borat mankini! Outside that it's frustrating enough to keep me playing (badly, I might add).

MUTMAN likes this.