1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Racing July 2020 - Carmageddon TDR2000

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by jimbogimp, Jun 30, 2020.

1. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Join the OCAU Retro Driving Club in a different retro driving game each month and see who can lay down the fastest lap!

The Game of the Month:

Carmageddon TDR 2000 "Total Destruction Racing" from 2000

upload_2020-6-30_22-51-47.png

upload_2020-6-30_23-18-7.png

upload_2020-6-30_23-22-52.png

upload_2020-6-30_23-23-49.png

The Game Description

Surely you know Carmageddon! Drive crazy cars around in the future and run over people for money!

From the Wiki of the OG Carmageddon:

In Carmageddon, the player races a vehicle against a number of other computer controlled competitors in various settings, including city, mine and industrial areas. The player has a certain amount of time to complete each race, but more time may be gained by collecting bonuses, damaging the competitors' cars, or by running over pedestrians.

Races are completed by either completing the course as one would a normal racing game, "wasting" (wrecking) all other race cars, or killing all pedestrians on the level.

The original was banned in many regions due to the violent nature of driving over pedestrians and the. In those regions the game was released with green goo instead of blood. Hey they're zombies now, thats fine! I wonder if they considered a simpler method of changing the word ped's to pedo's. They might have passed that too.

Its full of attitude, swears, outrageous violence and a sweet industrial/metal soundtrack. Completely 100% responsible for the downfall of society in 2000. BRILLIANT!

Why not Carmageddon 1 or 2?

I would have rather play them. Unfortunately there is no in game time keeping system for laps or scores. You get bonus cash based on how much time is left on the clock, but no actual lap timer or other way to compete.
    TDR2000 to the rescue!

The Memories

I'm pretty sure I got in trouble for playing this as a kid. I cant remember if I actually did, or just thought that I would. Anyway now I'm an adult so I can totally play it along with Leisure Suit Larry whenever I want. Its just like that movie starring Tom Hanks I think it was called "Fully grown adult male boy plays video games he used to get in trouble for" or something.

The How To

Grab it from GOG for $6 DRM free
    Or steam has it on sale for $3... but the DRM! Wont Somebody think of the DRM!
    According to wiki there was only ever a PC version so looks like no console action sorry.

Side note: The mobile version of carmageddon 2 is pretty good if you want some pedestrian squishing on the go.

The Track

First one available "The Boulevard"

upload_2020-6-30_23-27-40.png

upload_2020-6-30_23-28-4.png

The Car

The infamous Eagle MK4:
    Its this weird dodge viper looking thing with an inverted ice skate on top.
    upload_2020-6-30_23-26-21.png

No upgrades please.

The Entry Fee

A $5 Donation to a legitimate charity of your choice. This is not mandatory. If you cant afford it don't worry. I just figure we may as well have some “greater good” come out of this!

The Rules
    • Post your best lap time in the thread for the nominated car & track. Please copy the existing leaderboard and insert your time to make for easy updates.
    • Its basically the honour system and just for good fun. If it gets big and serious we might need to make some more official rules to keep it from getting out of hand but lets just see how we go.
    • A screenshot will increase the legitimacy of your time particularly if you’re in the top 3.
    • Dont forget a photo of your retro setup so that we can all drool over the geforces and radeons.
    • An uploaded video will get you bonus points.
    • Stating your donations will secure you a spot on the leader board with a gold star and many likes.
    • Please don't show up on the last day and post a time half a second faster than the leader with no proof. Its rude and will likely be ignored.
    • Shortcuts are encouraged. Cut corners, crash into walls, drive off road, get around the track as fast as you can within the limits of the game … but no cheats/hacks please. If you find some cool glitch/shortcut that gives you a super good time share it so we can all have a go.
    • Original hardware is not required. Play on whatever you can get the game to work on.

The Prize:

The glory of telling your family and friends that you beat some strangers on the internet in some random old racing game you played as a kid.

The Leader Board
    Might open this up to different categories as per the score screen. But focus on fastest lap for now. Not sure if you get a time for "wasting all peds" but I thought that might be a fun one.
    upload_2020-6-30_23-25-13.png

Fastest Lap:
    ----------
    ----------
    ----------
    ----------
    ----------

I'll be off grid for the school holidays.
    So just go at it and I'll update when I get back ~ mid July.

Carmageddon cold in here! Time for bed.

Attached Files:

pwlm1975, asho444, elvis and 4 others like this.
  2. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

The last month really got away from me, and I never did lay down a Hang On time. Just dropped $3 on some delicious DRM.

pwlm1975, JSmithDTV and MUTMAN like this.
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

500mb of carnage downloaded.
    i'll try to get a lap or three in tonight

pwlm1975 and JSmithDTV like this.
  4. Boneman

Boneman Member

Never played any of these before, looks like fun.

5. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I've played one and two... never the 2000 version, so yeah, will be great fun. :)

I'm currently addicted to Super Hang-On though! ... seeing some of those corners in my dreams. :lol:

JSmith

pwlm1975 and breech like this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

7. asho444

asho444 Member

Fastest Lap:
    1. Asho444 - 1:24
    ----------
    ----------
    ----------
    ----------
    carmabeddon.png

8. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Good, now we all have an initial target. :cool:

JSmith

pwlm1975 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

This one should be chaotic and fun. So many route options, powerups and npc's to deal with :D

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

no lap time sorry. just a bunch of wasted peds littering the streets

pwlm1975 and elvis like this.
  11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I played the original Carmageddon demo to death, loved it to bits. More than the ridiculous gameplay, the physics was just perfect and felt so good for drifting, jumps and the like.

I think I played TDR2000 a little, although I didn't have a decent graphics card at the time. From what I could tell the physics were very similar to the first, which is a good thing.

Wish I had more time to try these out, honestly. Didn't have a single minute for Super Hang On, despite desperately wanting to. You'll probably see me bumping all these threads with really shit times in about a year. :lol:

This is the real challenge of the game. It's too damned fun to just go and cause chaos.

pwlm1975, JSmithDTV and MUTMAN like this.
  12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yeah was always only a PC game... this seems like an interesting place to read about it. ;)

Just about to fire this up... although have this niggling need to play Super Hang-On still. :lol:

JSmith

pwlm1975 and jimbogimp like this.
  13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Been trying everything possible to get this to run in Win10... about to install Win98 in virtual box, annoying, just want to play it. Install said directx7 is needed... directx12 + old updates means it should work. :(

JSmith

14. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Scored a 1 min flat.

Controlling that hotrod powerup at the finishing line will be key I recon.

Fastest Lap:
    1. jimbogimp - 1:00
    2. Asho444 - 1:24
    ----------

upload_2020-7-1_22-22-57.png

pwlm1975 likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Shitaye!

I have the GOG version.
    I had trouble with my NUC with intel graphics and it would crash back to desktop when launching.
    But on my main rig (Ryzen 2600, RX580, win10) it works OK.
    It does flash a black screen and change resolution a bunch of times when launching, and I dont have any sound for some reason... but its still playable.
    I dont have any real advice, I just changed computers...
    Have you tried the usual compatibility modes?

edit: I totally do have sound, my speakers were turned way down lol.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    pwlm1975 likes this.
  16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

no (setup) issues with this version under win10
    upload_2020-7-2_5-57-40.png

17. power

power Member

i MIGHT drag myself away to set a time, no cheating shenanigans going on yet?

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

the whole game is about cheating ... death that is

pwlm1975 likes this.
  19. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

So far on the Steam version I've only had it software rendered, and not running too well. I saw one of the reviews mention using dgVoodoo which I'll be trying tonight. http://www.dege.freeweb.hu/

JSmithDTV likes this.
  20. power

power Member

i've literally stopped participating in these threads because of cheats, if everyone else finds that fun have at it.