1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Racing June 2020 - Super Hang-On

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by jimbogimp, Jun 1, 2020.

1. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Join the OCAU Retro Driving Club in a different retro driving game each month and see who can lay down the fastest lap!

The Game of the Month:

Sega Super Hang-On 1987

shangon-200601-221423.png

Super Hang-On (W) (REV00) [!]-200601-221620.png

shangon-200601-221313.png

shangon-200601-221513.png

The Game Description

In the game, the player controls a motorcycle against time and other computer-controlled bikes. The game utilises the Second Generation Super Scaler arcade system board, to simulate 3D effects. The deluxe cabinet version also introduced a motion controlled arcade cabinet, where the player sat on a motorbike-shaped controller and lent it left and right to steer the bike.

The arcade mode in Super Hang-On is similar to the original Hang-On racing against a timer with checkpoints extending playtime. However, there is a choice of four tracks to race on which are based on continents, each containing a different number of stages. Also, should the player reach the normal maximum speed of 280 km/h, a turbo button is enabled. Using this button allows the player to reach an even higher top speed of 324 km/h. Each stage is roughly half the length of a stage in the original Hang-On. Africa is the easiest and shortest out of the four courses (six stages). Asia is the second easiest and is similar in length to the course from the original Hang-On at ten stages long. The Americas is the second to toughest course, containing 14 stages and Europe is the hardest course, being 18 stages long. When the player starts a race, they have their choice of four songs that will play during the race much like Outrun which is based on the same hardware.

The Sega Mega Drive version of the game included the full arcade game, and an additional original mode, which allowed players to recruit sponsors and earn money to buy enhanced components for their bike.

The Memories

I played this once in Intencity when we did one of those lock in pay $10 get unlimited credits for a birthday party type things. Unfortunately it was positioned opposite a Daytona machine... and thats where I headed pretty soon after never looking back. Always loved the full immersion sit on/in arcade machines though and I'm keen to re-live this one this month!

The How To

There's ports of this on pretty much everything.
    According to wikipedia there are versions for:
    Arcade, Mega Drive, GBA, Amiga, Atari ST, Macintosh, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad, Commodore 64, Nintendo 3DS & PS4. But there are probably others too.

Pro tip - use the rom named shangonro. It lacks the turbo button, but still gets to top speed. This has been yielding the best results as it has more grip than the standard rom.

A version that utilises analog controls is highly recommended. From a quick test the Arcade is much smoother than the megadrive version.
    I'll be playing the arcade version via RetroArch and using an 8bitdo SF30 pro controller.

Make sure you submit what platform you are running on. Different platforms might have different times/scores.

I'll be sorely disappointed if no-one posts a time from the original ride-on arcade.

hangon.PNG

The Track

For the purposes of easy access generally we’ll choose a tracks that is available at the start of the game or in the demo so you don't have to unlock anything.

shangon-200601-220911.png

All 4 tracks are available from the beginning.
    Beginner: Africa
    Junior: Asia
    Senior: Americas
    Expert: Europe

We've got a whole month, post a time on each if you can!
    It might get a bit confusing on the leader board, so pre-apologies if it turns out a dogs breakfast...

The Car

Errr... Its a motorbike... You have to ride a motorbike.
    upload_2020-6-1_22-37-42.png

The Entry Fee

A $5 Donation to a legitimate charity of your choice. This is not mandatory. If you cant afford it don't worry. I just figure we may as well have some “greater good” come out of this!

The Rules
    • Post your best lap time in the thread for the nominated car & track.
    • Its basically the honour system and just for good fun. If it gets big and serious we might need to make some more official rules to keep it from getting out of hand but lets just see how we go.
    • A screenshot will increase the legitimacy of your time particularly if you’re in the top 3.
    • Dont forget a photo of your retro setup so that we can all drool over the original arcade hardware or the Amstrad CPC.
    • An uploaded video will get you bonus points.
    • Stating your donations will secure you a spot on the leader board with a gold star and many likes.
    • Please don't show up on the last day and post a time half a second faster than the leader with no proof. Its rude and will likely be ignored.
    • Shortcuts are encouraged. Cut corners, crash into walls, drive off road, get around the track as fast as you can within the limits of the game … but no cheats/hacks please. If you find some cool glitch/shortcut that gives you a super good time share it so we can all have a go.
    • Original hardware is not required. Play on whatever you can get the game to work on.

The Prize:

The glory of telling your family and friends that you beat some strangers on the internet in some random old racing game you played as a kid.

The Leader Board

Beginner: Africa
    Boneman - 27608560 - 2'50"26 - Mame (non turbo mini-ride on)
    breech - 26897260 - 2'50"74 MessUI (easy rom, normal dipswitch)
    JSmithDTV - 21662830 - 2'54"51 - Mame (lappy keyboard)
    jimbogimp - 22830930 - 2'54"77 - Mame (non turbo mini-ride on xbox controller)
    Grant - 1366810 - ? 2.6 sec bonus - 3DS default dip
    MUTMAN - 13621300 - ? - MiSTer (Megadrive)

Junior: Asia
    JSmithDTV - 28748970 - 4'50"82 - Mame (non turbo mini-ride on lappy keyboard)
    Boneman - 22502810 - 4'57"30 - Mame (non turbo mini-ride on)
    jimbogimp - 17317890 - 5'21"55 - 3DS Cheaty no collision mode

Senior: Americas
    Boneman - 23726130 - 6'57"56 - Mame (non turbo mini-ride on)
    JSmithDTV - 32905430 - 6'52"48 - (non turbo - lappy keyboard)

Expert: Europe
    MUTMAN - 6701940 - MiSTer (Megadrive)

Hang on if ya can!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    MUTMAN, power, Pierre32 and 3 others like this.
  2. shredder

shredder Member

I've got some retro PC's ready to use now. Not that it's hugely relevant since this month is mainly emulation. But anyway.. I should be in a good position now gear-wise, to challenge for the wooden spoon this month. Someone's gotta do it, and I can't leave the whole cutlery drawer to MUTMAN.

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

No time to post yet but from the arcade version this is my pick for music.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  4. power

power Member

My earliest memories of this one are in fact the Atari ST Power Pack, later on I saw and played the tilting sit down cabs of both this and the original Hang-On. The thing that really separates this one from the original is that Turbo, I still remember the buzz of hitting it and how much adrenaline it gives you. You are already cranking along at a great pace and then boom - it pre-dates things like Fast and Furious NOS shenanigans and it's kind of funny because obliviously turbos don't work like that but it's fun none the less.

I can recommend my platform of choice for this one - the 3DS, it's cheap on the eshop and has a ton of options just as any M2 port, including a surprisingly good tilt control mode. Also because the game was written with real 3D in mind just like Outrun it translates perfectly to the 3D on the 3DS.

Oh and Winning Run is my musics of choice!

5. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

I love that the turbo noise keeps winding up even when you're at top speed. Sounds like you're breaking the sound barrier! :)
    I'm enjoying this so far, even though I find the controls way too sensitive and the god damned computer opponents constantly throwing me off course (Is there some sort of road rash hack?)
    I was tempted to try the PC version, that is, until I saw this video:

https://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?abandonware=Super+hang-on&gid=1859

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Keen to try this out. Really love the 3D effects on other old Sega games I've played on the 3DS.

7. power

power Member

if/when you do i would say the only thing to really note is 3D clashes with motion controls so you have to choose one or the other and i'm very tempted to choose the motion controls.

8. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

This bad boy is serenading my retinas with Trinitron phosphors and I'm slowly getting further but I'm not sure if the joystick and buttons are a better choice over a controller.

9. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Lappy keyboard is harsh on this one... :wired:

JSmith

10. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Damn man, I'll keep the stick thanks!

JSmithDTV likes this.
  11. shredder

shredder Member

For maximum effect, use the nub.

upload_2020-6-2_18-44-3.png

Who needs Sanwa and co!

jimbogimp and Pierre32 like this.
  12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Nah, no nub nub on mine. :D

I really should get out and fire up my old legacy mame PC for these games... I got rid of some old controllers, may need to grab a new one.

In the meantime it's an extra dimension of challenge using the lappy. :cool:

JSmith

13. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

So who's on arcade and has already chickened out and switched to easy?

*raises hand

Still haven't managed to finish the easy course and it would have cost me about $50 if I had to pay for credits lol

14. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

shangon-200602-222741.png
    Phew, I made it to the end of beginner with 1.7 sec to spare.

Playing on PC with Retroarch Arcade & Interact Ultraracer PC controller.
    Difficulty and Time Adj dip switches set to easy.

Hit two bikes in the last stage, didnt come off, but they slowed me down some. YAAARRRGH! GET OUT OF THE WAY YOU F### S### C### M### F#### A##### :D

Vanne, pwlm1975, elvis and 1 other person like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Member

Bought this on 3DS, the gyro controls are pretty fun - the view of the game on the top screen is a rendered view of the arcade cabinet screen, and when you tilt to turn it shifts the virtual arcade screen left and right to simulate the leaning bike :thumbup:

Downsides are:
    • There's a big deadzone in the middle when using tilt controls, which I guess would have been similar to the physical arcade experience but makes it hard to do fast direction changes.
    • I'm rubbish at the game :lol:

Vanne, elvis and pwlm1975 like this.
  16. power

power Member

i think it's less a deadzone and more it takes longer to tilt the device rather than flick the circle stick or d-pad. if/when you want to really quickly flick it takes more effort for sure. flip side it's easier to lean into a corner gently.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  17. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Yes, I remember playing it as a kid and the bike I swear had to be at a 45 degree angle (probably not quite that much!) before it started to bank properly. Many many dollars spent.

18. Boneman

Boneman Member

Beauty of the 3DS version is it's based on the arcade, not the Genesis/MD version with the laggy controls.

19. g12345567

g12345567 Member

20. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Pretty sure I'm gonna end up with a 3DS by the end of the month :)