1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Racing March 2021 - Need for Speed II (1997)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by jimbogimp, Mar 1, 2021.

1. jotham

jotham Member

I was playing this just a few years ago on my retro PC, back in the day (1999 I think) I had a sweet gaming rig, PII 233mhz overclocked to 266mhz with 2x voodoo 2 12MB cards in SLI, the 800x600 graphics and smoothness was very impressive back then, almost as good as BattleZone II (defiantly needs a remake).

At LAN events we would play NFS2se as teams, were winner takes all, get a car in the lead and the team mate keeps the others off his tail, mad max style. Hours of fun.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Pierre32, jimbogimp and MUTMAN like this.
  2. power

power Member

Glide made this game run great.

jotham likes this.
  3. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

This prompted me to forget about laptimes for a bit, and just get into more of the game. I spent some time last night driving different cars and tracks. It's ridiculous and tons of fun.

MUTMAN and Grant like this.
  4. Grant

Grant Member

The shortcuts in most tracks are such a risk in a race, very hard to get consistently right. The jumps are great too when you're either showing off or not being competitive.

Also my favourite car is the T-Rex.

Pierre32 and MUTMAN like this.
  5. power

power Member

did anyone else back in the day just download heaps of custom cars for NFS games? There were so many fan cars made.

WuZMoT and MUTMAN like this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i missed a lot most of the 90s PC gaming as i was off travelling the globe.
    when i did a chance to play it was all about time in the chair cause it was very short lived
    its part of why I'm not tied to the actual hardware like a lot here (in my mind it wasnt until MMX i saw any good reason to go beyond a 68000 and a Z80 ...)
    the games are what i missed though, so these play now threads are a big eye opener for me in a lot of ways

JSmithDTV and Pierre32 like this.
  7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I haven't had a chance to spin this up yet... will try Grant 's installer link tonight and see if I can get it running in W10 ok.

JSmith

8. power

power Member

worked great here, just make sure you change the language before you run it otherwise it installs in German.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  9. Vishula Gamaetige

Vishula Gamaetige Member

This used to be my favourite car game when i was a kid. Used to play with my cousin all the time.

if you know fzr2000, you're a legend :D

RIP Legend

Pierre32 and jimbogimp like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Nice, I'm not sure who or what fzr2000 is, so my legendary status is unconfirmed. But you should totally fire up the game and post a time! :)

Pierre32 and MUTMAN like this.
  11. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Busy week and weekend ahead; I'll fit some retro in as always but that probably won't include any more attempts at this challenge. (It may include some casual pack racing though.)

Some closing thoughts on the game... I only had NFS1 back in the day, and that's where my nostalgia lies for the franchise. So I'd never really had a proper run at NFS2 before this challenge. Playing them side by side now, I enjoy the sequel a lot more and it still holds up today as a mega fun game. It was also fun to throw the Voodoo1 in for this, but ultimately I did most of the challenge in software mode. It didn't bring a noticeable performance gain in this Celeron 533 system, it stripped some visual character from the game, and some weirdness with road textures took away the sense of speed. Which I needed. It does have a sexy sky though, and exclusive swarms of bugs that smash on your windscreen.

I ended up finding the "Interlaced" video option and, since I'm playing on a gross old LCD I found that the most appealing. I use a similar filter when I'm using DOSBox on my main rig. I'm sure not everyone likes it, but I do.

Just reposting the leaderboard now to get it on the current page. Carn. Knock me off the podium.

Fastest Single Lap
    Boneman 1:21.03
    Grant 1:21.96
    Pierre32 1:22.56
    jimbogimp 1:24.81
    power 1:25.31
    Mut 1:34.65
    --------------
    --------------

Fastest 4 Lap Race
    Boneman 5:36.12
    Pierre32 5:38.46