1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Racing May 2020 - V8 Challenge

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by jimbogimp, May 1, 2020.

1. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Join the OCAU Retro Driving Club in a different retro driving game each month and see who can lay down the fastest lap!

I think we might have some trouble keeping up with the pro's this month!

The Game of the Month:

V8 Challenge from 2002

upload_2020-5-1_14-45-19.png

upload_2020-5-1_14-45-40.png

upload_2020-5-1_14-51-29.png

upload_2020-5-1_14-51-48.png

The Game Description (Wow there's no Wiki for this game... stolen from My Abandonware)

2002, the year V8 Challenge was released on Windows. Made by Digital Illusions CE AB and published by Electronic Arts, Inc., this racing / driving game is available for free on this page.

wow that was quick... um here's more from Mobygames

The game is, as can be understood from the title, a V8 racing simulation. You as a member of a team of pilots race against the other teams. They include Holden Racing Team, Ozemail Racing, Castrol Perkins Racing, Big Kev Racer and more... It has most of the tracks of the original race like Bathurst, Adelaide, Queensland, Melbourne and some others. Also supports multiplayer LAN and play over Internet. There are even some bonus tracks for those who finish the game.

Anyway, it probably needs not much explanation aside from that it is a game based on the Australian V8 Supercars.

The Memories

upload_2020-5-1_14-46-32.png

I've never played it before. Didn't know it existed. I'd say if I found it back in the day I would have been pretty excited about it though. I did enjoy a good Bathurst viewing around that era.

The How To

Search it up on My Abandonware. I got it running on Windows XP. Havent tried 10 yet. I'm sure there will be some helpful posts below if there are any issues and I'll report back here if we find anything useful.
    Grab a wheel if you can, or at least try with an analogue controller of some kind.

The Track

For the purposes of easy access generally we’ll choose a tracks that is available at the start of the game or in the demo so you don't have to unlock anything.

V8 Supercars? Mount Panorama of course!

upload_2020-5-1_14-48-36.png

The Car

I think we can leave this open. Although I havent tried them I would assume that most cars offer the same performance. Chose the brand that you were most fond of back in the day. I'm a ford man myself. Whatever car you choose I think we should leave it at stock setup to avoid someone dropping tyre pressure to 20 and putting in an Energy Polarizer to take the win.

upload_2020-5-1_14-40-23.png

The Entry Fee

A $5 Donation to a legitimate charity of your choice. This is not mandatory. If you cant afford it don't worry. I just figure we may as well have some “greater good” come out of this!

The Rules
    • Post your best lap time in the thread for the nominated car & track.
    • No standing start this time. Jump in and do a few laps. Post your best result.
    • Its basically the honour system and just for good fun. If it gets big and serious we might need to make some more official rules to keep it from getting out of hand but lets just see how we go.
    • A screenshot will increase the legitimacy of your time particularly if you’re in the top 3.
    • Dont forget a photo of your retro setup so that we can all drool over the Pentium 4's n Radeon 9700's
    • An uploaded video will get you bonus points.
    • Stating your donations will secure you a spot on the leader board with a gold star and many likes.
    • Please don't show up on the last day and post a time half a second faster than the leader with no proof. Its rude and will likely be ignored.
    • Shortcuts are encouraged. Cut corners, crash into walls, drive off road, get around the track as fast as you can within the limits of the game … but no cheats/hacks please. If you find some cool glitch/shortcut that gives you a super good time share it so we can all have a go.
    • Original hardware is not required. Play on whatever you can get the game to work on.

The Prize:

The glory of telling your family and friends that you beat some strangers on the internet in some random old racing game you played as a kid.

The Leader Board

1:49.56 portstevo
    2:01.79 Boneman
    2:05:65 JSmithDTV (Keyboard!)
    2:06.8594 Greg Murphy (Lap of the gods 2003)
    2:08.3873 John Bowe (Pole position qualifying time 2002)
    2:09.25 power
    2:09.91 Pierre32 (Donation to Able Gamers) :thumbup:
    2:11.11 jimbogimp
    2:22:85 th3_hawk
    2:29.73 MUTMAN
    ----
    ----
    ----
    ----

Anyone in for 161 laps?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  2. Vanne

Vanne Member

This is AWESOME!!!!! :D

JSmithDTV likes this.
  3. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yep... I'm in. :)

JSmith

4. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Installed and ran successfully in Win10 for me. Just mount the ISO and run setup.exe as admin. It crashed out when I attempted to run it at 1440p; I'm sure that could be investigated, but I happily ran it at a nice big 4:3 setting.

No love with the wired Xbox One controller though. Controls all map in setup, but don't respond in game. This is the pattern I'm seeing with all the old racing games that I'm trying to use with an Xbox pad - so far NFS Porsche is the only one that's worked.

EDIT: Fixed in Win10 by ensuring the controller was connected before all other USB devices (not just other controllers - all of them).

The game drops straight onto the Win98 box without issue of course. But the same Xbox controller behaviour, so I'll be going with something else there.

EDIT: Fixed in Win98 by ensuring it was the only controller enabled - gameport or USB.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  5. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

For me this is bloody slow again... getting 1Mbps, other sources have proved unfruitful. :(

JSmith

6. Boneman

Boneman Member

Sometimes unplugging all other controller devices will help, just run the one you want to use.

7. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

it's interesting that Swedish studio DICE (before they were known as DICE) under American Publisher EA made a racing sim about what was at the time a relatively globally unrecognised Australian racing championship.

The only connection I could find is that EA sponsored the Young Lions Commodore entry in 01-02 (same time frame ) as per this wiki entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercars_Championship_in_video_games

Curious what Engine it uses - seemingly not Refractor

elvis likes this.
  8. asho444

asho444 Member

I was thinking the same thing, I read that part about 3 times to make sure I was not mistaken.

Time to get this bad boy downloading!

9. power

power Member

I swear I have a copy of this somewhere, can only locate 2 atm. Oh wait, that's the codies version.

Is this that "video" game game??

It can't be, that was a 90's game. huh.

ok

so something i don't miss about old PC games. Can bind wheel no problems (DFGT) however start game and none of the binds work. GRRR

ugh ignores hats, ignores z axis on xbox controller

someone get back to me when they figure this out.

10. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

^ take note of this people.
    I used to have two seperate batch files to disable/enable my joystick when I wasn't playing Battlefield. It's something to do with chronological order of USB device ID's and the game finding the wrong device first.

Old games will be plagued by controller issues regardless but sometimes this is simply all it will be.

11. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Updated OP with John Bowe's pole position qualifying time from 2002. Can you beat it? :lol:

12. power

power Member

Bowe?

pffft lap of the gods

2min06.8594

13. power

power Member

not the issue.

14. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Good shout lads. I don't have other controllers connected, but I do have quite a fleet of USB devices. I unplugged them all, and reconnected making sure the Xbox One controller went in first. Voila, working in game in Win10. Cheers!

And now working in Win98 by ensuring the Xbox 360 controller is the only game controller enabled (gameport or USB).

WuZMoT likes this.
  15. power

power Member

my biggest problem now is now brake pedal (tried combined and not), and having trouble adjusting wheel rotation - got a massive deadzone. had to tediously remove all references to the keyboard or mouse from my binds.

did i mention i don't miss this bullshit?

WuZMoT, Pierre32 and mAJORD like this.
  16. power

power Member

so, not optimal settings hit a 2:11:10 in the Number 1 HRT car.

don't forget to rename/delete

Data\movies dice.bik and Data\publishers primary.bik

17. Boneman

Boneman Member

I did some laps in Time attack mode, all default settings except changed to rolling start -

[​IMG]

18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Why?

JSmith

19. power

power Member

startup movies

JSmithDTV likes this.
  20. power

power Member

2:09:25