Retro Racing October 2020 - Live for Speed

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by jimbogimp, Sep 30, 2020.

1. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Join the OCAU Retro Driving Club in a different retro driving game each month and see who can lay down the fastest lap!

The Game of the Month:

Live for Speed

I guess we’re kinda bending the retro rules a bit since LFS is still alive today. But we’ll be playing the older version 0.3H7 originally released in 2005.

upload_2020-9-30_22-34-7.png

upload_2020-9-30_22-34-22.png

upload_2020-9-30_22-34-39.png

The Game Description

Live for Speed is a serious racing simulator. No arcade modes, no steering aids - YOU have to do the driving.

The forces affecting the car's motion are simulated individually at each wheel. We recommend the use of a steering wheel, because although you can use the keyboard and/or mouse, a wheel and pedals provide a lot more accuracy. The force feedback sent to the steering wheel is calculated directly from the forces, with no canned effects. This allows you to feel what is happening at the contact patch between your tyres and the road, helping you to get closer to the limit without exceeding it too much!

When you have a lot of speed and you approach a corner, you must brake well in advance or you will end up somewhere you don't want to be! You need to find the best way through any sequence of bends by going through them many times. There's always more to learn.

You can race alone, against the clock, or against the AI drivers. But for many people the real fun is to be found online, racing real people, in multiplayer mode. LFS makes it very easy for you to do so. Simply click "List of Hosts", select a server that looks interesting and join instantly. Many hosts run short races of a few laps, so there isn't usually too long to wait for a restart. Most public hosts allow you to join mid-race. Just make sure you keep out of the way of the people who started the race before you joined! There are also several online racing leagues you can take part in if you are looking for something with a more competitive edge.

A serious simulator obviously requires a very good physics simulation to provide the thrill and fun of real racing. This is done by including all aspects that are important to racing. Live for Speed is in constant development. S3 is the third step towards our vision of the finished product, and already does a very good job in simulating real racing. Many aspects are covered - comprehensive setup possibilities, fuel usage, tyre wear, crash damage, different surface types, intriguing racing environments, different car classes and so on. All this makes sure you have plenty to practise with and spend time on, learning the flow of the tracks. Don't forget to plan your pitstops - find out how much fuel your car uses per lap and how your tyres behave on any track, with your particular car setup and driving style.

Check out lfs.net for the full game.

The Memories

I was introduced to this at Central Coast Gamers Lan (CCGL) I don’t remember playing the game at the lan… But I do remember a weird conversation about converse all star shoes and their excellence for driving. I’ve stuffed around in this game for a few years with different versions, but never actually raced online.

The How To

Head over to lfs.net/archive

Scroll down and grab version LFS 0.3H7

upload_2020-9-30_22-35-1.png

It took AGES for me to download on my main computer, but it wasn’t too bad on a different one. Let me know if you have troubles and I’ll upload it to archive.org or something.

It runs pretty well on very low end hardware. I’m getting between 30 and 60fps at 1024*768 on a 1.6ghz Bobcat APU in Win10.

I highly suggest a steering wheel with force feedback for this one if you can swing it.

Second choice would be an analogue controller of some kind, you’ll probably have to tweak the sensitivity to get a comfortable drive.

I just had a quick blat with the Mouse and its actually not that bad if its all you got… Just make sure you don’t have it in windowed mode :)

Multiplayer

That’s right folks, for a first in the retro drive club this month we’ve got access to some multiplayer action!

Head to Multiplayer --> List of Games

Hopefully you will be able to see OCAURDC.

I dont know how my connection will fare, or if the PC is fast enough to handle heaps of people. Shoot me a PM or post in here if it catches fire and I’ll see what I can do. I have also carefully set a trap next to my beer fridge so that any slight nudge of the network cable and it might fall out. I'll blame the wife if that happens though.
    If its not working well then single player might have to suffice.

Keep it clean, its got autokick enabled for driving in reverse. Pre-apologies for when I attempt to duck up the inside and inadvertently run you off the track... its just for fun, honest!

Once in you can change the track, add players and vote for qualification or to start a race. I dont know how to pull the lap data from the server, so you'll just have to keep tabs on your own progress.

Name OCAURDC

PW: OCAU

I also started a Discord:

https://discord.gg/F6UUXn

upload_2020-9-30_22-35-37.png

The Track

There’s only two tracks in the Demo version, I dont think there's any harm in trying both.

Blackwood GP track

upload_2020-9-30_22-35-56.png

Or

Blackwood Rally Cross

upload_2020-9-30_22-36-17.png

The Car

With 3 demo cars available I’m happy to keep times for each:

The FWD XF GTi

upload_2020-9-30_22-36-40.png

RWD XR GT

upload_2020-9-30_22-37-1.png

RWD XR GT Turbo

upload_2020-9-30_22-37-17.png

The Entry Fee

A $5 Donation to a legitimate charity of your choice. This is not mandatory. If you cant afford it don't worry. I just figure we may as well have some “greater good” come out of this!

The Rules
    • Post your best lap time in the thread for the nominated car & track. Please copy the existing leader board and insert your time to make for easy updates.
    • You dont have to be on the server to post a time.
    • Its basically the honour system and just for good fun.
    • Dont forget a photo of your retro setup so that we can all drool over the mad catz and PIII's
    • An uploaded video will get you bonus points.
    • Stating your donations will secure you a spot on the leader board with a gold star and many likes.
    • Don’t forget that we’re just here to have fun even though it’s a “serious” driving simulator.

The Prize:

The glory of telling your family and friends that you beat some strangers on the internet in some random old racing game you played as a kid.

The Leader Board

Blackwood GP

XF Gti
    Crash Dummy - 1:40.07
    JSmithDTV - 1:49.19
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------

XR GT
    Boneman - 1:37.69
    Portstevo - 1:38.58
    Crash Dummy - 1.39.71
    FantoM_CircuiT - 1:41.77
    jimbogimp - 1:44.33
    --------------

XR GT Turbo
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------

Blackwood Rally Cross

XF Gti
    jimbogimp - 1:18.30
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------

XR GT

--------------
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------

XR GT Turbo

--------------
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------

I always wondered if you were supposed to pronounce it Live for Speed or Live for Speed.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    pwlm1975, elvis, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.
  2. Boneman

Boneman Member

Always heard about this game, but was never part of the scene. Time to bust out the wheel again I guess!

MUTMAN and jimbogimp like this.
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

its definitely Live for Speed :thumbup:

jimbogimp and elvis like this.
  4. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

Nice, I think I might have tried this with a mouse back in the day since there was no way I could have afforded a wheel. I also remembered it ran pretty poorly on my machine. Keen to give it a shot on modern hardware. Did you run into any compatibility issues with modern windows/wheels etc?

5. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

No problems here on windows 10 with a few different computers including AMD/Intel CPU's and Nvidia/AMD Graphics.

Also works ok on a dell WYZE AMD thin client.

Hopefully everyone can get it running without issues.

elvis likes this.
  6. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

I'll definitely be giving this one a go. ☺️

7. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  8. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

The wheel setup was a bit confusing but i get there in the end. Just go through each setting in order, i found if I changed some of the top axis settings it would reset all the other changes i had made.

struggles running at 4k for some reason, just random dropped frames. seems fine at 1080p tho.

with the NA XR GT I got a 1:46 at Blackwood GP. Definitely not a good time but it's a start!

MUTMAN and jimbogimp like this.
  9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

"Any boss who sacks anyone for playing OCAU retro racing today is a bum".

-- Bob Hawk

10. Boneman

Boneman Member

Still getting used to the physics, but this feels fun. An early time to get things rolling;

1:41.84

XR GT at Blackwood GP, weather/setup default settings.
    [​IMG]

Crash Dummy and FantoM_CircuiT like this.
  11. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

Took about 30 laps but finally got down below 1:42. This is probably obvious for seasoned sim racers but this game really rewards smooth driving. Once I started concentrating on being smooth, staying off throttle till corner exit and turning in later, the times started to come down. I still think there's more time I could pick up on turn 3 (after the long straight).
    As far as I could tell there's no damage or tyre wear/temp simulation right?

[​IMG]

Crash Dummy likes this.
  12. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

Here's where we're up to.
    I'm running the stock setup right now. That may change in the future.

Normally I record my runs for verification but I can't figure out how to capture in LFS with ReLive. Any time I hit the hotkeys for anything to do with relive I get dumped to the desktop.
    I might have to try recording with MSI Afterburner.
    I've saved the replays regardless.

The Leader Board

Blackwood GP

XF Gti
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------

XR GT
    Crash Dummy - 1.39.71
    Boneman - 1:41.84
    --------------

XR GT Turbo
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------

Blackwood Rally Cross

XF Gti
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------

XR GT

--------------
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------

XR GT Turbo

--------------
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------

13. Boneman

Boneman Member

How do you unlock the XR GT Turbo ? It says I need 200 credits, but I cant see how to earn the credits in the demo.

14. Boneman

Boneman Member

Cheers, think I got it figured out. I downloaded the torrent file which is the original demo, not the updated 3.7 version. Just installed it now and Turbo is unlocked.

15. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

Awesome!!!

I just deleted my post as you posted that. Derpty derp. That's great though. Now have fun with the turbo :D It's a bit of a hand full.

16. Boneman

Boneman Member

Did like 20 laps around low 40s, then suddenly it all clicked -

Blackwood GP

XR GT
    Boneman - 1:39.53
    Crash Dummy - 1.39.71
    --------------

[​IMG]

17. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

Fantastic! Is it now time for me to really go hard ?

18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Blackwood GP

XF Gti

JSmithDTV - 1:49.19
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------

lfsxfgti-1.jpg

I'm not feeling the love for this one so far... gave it a good go a few times over the weekend, but only got my times down from 1:56 to the 1:49 mark.

Personally I'm finding it a little bit boring, sorry to say! :Pirate:

I suppose I should give the XR GT and Turbo a go before I pass on this one.

Are most here using a proper wheel setup? This doesn't play nice with a lappy keyboard at all of course being a sim... how are others finding it with a controller?
    I just run a replay in the game then record it using game bar/mode... but that is W10.

JSmith

19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

yer, being a keyboard (warrior ?) i'm not even going to post a time right now...
    but I'll defo have a proper crack soon, and may even get a controller hooked up for some analog lovin

20. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Yeah sorry keyboard bros, it's not super suitable for that. Mouse works ok, but never tried a track pad.
    Next month we'll do something more old skool and arcady.

breech and MUTMAN like this.